PDA

View Full Version : B-Boys file to trademark Live Shows

Micodin
07-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Beastie Boys have been musically inactive since Adam "MCA" Yauch passed away in 2012. "We can't make new music without him," Michael "Mike D" Diamond said last year.

But earlier this week, Mike D and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz filed a trademark application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the Beastie Boys name in conjunction with "live performances by a musical group," as lawyer David Lizerbram points out. You can find the legal document here.
According to Lizerbram, the application seems to point to some kind of reunion and live performance. However, as he writes, "it’s possible that their attorney (who signed the application on their behalf) filed this application for some other reason that we don’t know of, or that it was filed in error."

Update: A representative says: "There will never be Beastie Boys live performances without Adam Yauch."

source (http://pitchfork.com/news/60204-beastie-boys-file-trademark-application-for-live-performances/)

MrSmiley1
07-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I am curious as to why it was filed. I wonder if the application covers more than just live performances.

It probably just has something to do with an archive release and/or the new book.

Michelle*s_Farm
07-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Maybe they figured out a way to bring him back, Futurama style. I wish.
Seriously, though I am surprised that they did not already own the trademark. By owning the trademark I suppose they now could release their final recordings with Yauch and retain the profits for themselves. Or perhaps live performances by a musical group simply refers to any recordings they made before Yauch died. Although that makes me wonder if Yauch's immediate family would have rights to the profits. That could be a separate contract made before he died. It was interesting to read the trademark filing.

Micodin
07-02-2015, 12:28 PM
So many amazing shows were recorded audio and video. A nice blu/digital release would be dope.

I love AIFST (I'm partial because I'm in it, they talk about me and my friend on the commentary), but I'd like to see the Gala shit. They were slaying it on that tour.

Michelle*s_Farm
07-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Beastie Boys' live performances were amazing the last few years. They had honed their skills to beyond what I could have imagined. Gala shows and other live gigs would be an excellent release. Also I would like to hear Yauch's final recordings in unaltered formats and possibly Ad-Rock and Mike D rearranging Yauch's recordings in different ways.

YoungRemy
07-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Fucking interesting.

I would love to see/hear any live footage or archival material that was performed/recorded between 2007 and 2012

Bernard Goetz
07-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Beastie Boys' live performances were amazing the last few years. They had honed their skills to beyond what I could have imagined. Gala shows and other live gigs would be an excellent release.

Seriously. I hadn't seen them since the mid-90s when I caught their Boston show in '07, and my lowered expectations were put to shame. Incredible energy and showmanship, eternal.