PDA

View Full Version : HSC Part One

Micodin
11-28-2020, 12:31 PM
there’s a guy on youtube that just posted a playlist of HSC Part One if you’re interested. he just put it up today, i haven’t checked it out yet, y’all can decide if it’s legitimate or not. peace.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA3xt7Uq00qtCIdeKDym2TZKrShguKFAT

Sir SkratchaLot
11-28-2020, 08:59 PM
there’s a guy on youtube that just posted a playlist of HSC Part One if you’re interested. he just put it up today, i haven’t checked it out yet, y’all can decide if it’s legitimate or not. peace.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA3xt7Uq00qtCIdeKDym2TZKrShguKFAT

That channel is great. Tons of gems.

pesto pizza
11-29-2020, 03:17 AM
Im no production expert but the versions of these sound different and l do prefer them, more stripped back and less sonic ( which im sure everything l just wrote was wrong, in some peoples eyes)
Im just saying, they sound very beastie boys, l never really took to the zdar production.
I really hope this gets an offical release.

pesto pizza
11-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Im no production expert but these versions sound different and l do prefer them, more stripped back and less sonic ( which im sure everything l just wrote was wrong, in some peoples eyes)
Im just saying, they sound very beastie boys, l never really took to the zdar production.
I really hope this gets an offical release.

jimmyjrg
11-29-2020, 07:37 PM
Nice! I'll have to do a side by side comparison sometime.

Kid Presentable
11-30-2020, 08:05 AM
It’s the 2011 HALSFY.

dave790
11-30-2020, 09:45 AM
Potentially a really good / interesting find...

I know I'm not the only one who has wanted to hear the original mix (ideally with that superior artwork and sequencing too).

However, I think this has just been put together using all tracks currently available. I've only had time to listen to snippets here and there, and at first I thought maybe there were some slight differences in Make Some Noise and Long Burn the Fire. But I'm not convinced.

Obviously whoever has put this together has the knowledge to use the original Lee Majors and TMR, as well as getting the tracklisting right. But as KP points out, using the 2011 HALSFY is pretty lazy, and I do not not believe for one second that the Burndt Cake skit was simply renamed / reused for Full Force at the end of (what was released as) Part 2. On Part 2 it leads into the Full Force main beat perfectly, whereas here it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Some of the tracks I can almost convince myself that they sound a bit more lo-fi, but I don't believe it. The question is, why? Why bother doing this if it's not legit?

tuc70021
11-30-2020, 01:14 PM

I know I'm not the only one who has wanted to hear the original mix (ideally with that superior artwork and sequencing too).

However, I think this has just been put together using all tracks currently available. I've only had time to listen to snippets here and there, and at first I thought maybe there were some slight differences in Make Some Noise and Long Burn the Fire. But I'm not convinced.

Obviously whoever has put this together has the knowledge to use the original Lee Majors and TMR, as well as getting the tracklisting right. But as KP points out, using the 2011 HALSFY is pretty lazy, and I do not not believe for one second that the Burndt Cake skit was simply renamed / reused for Full Force at the end of (what was released as) Part 2. On Part 2 it leads into the Full Force main beat perfectly, whereas here it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Some of the tracks I can almost convince myself that they sound a bit more lo-fi, but I don't believe it. The question is, why? Why bother doing this if it's not legit?

I totally agree. I think when an "original" track could be used it was included, but otherwise it's just the tracks from HSCP2. As for minor difference in sound, who knows where these tracks came from (straight rip from an official CD?), but they could have undergone degradation along the way that would make them sound different as well.

I dunno, I think people really try to find something with this whole "Part 1" thing, but I think the biggest story behind Part 1 is that the Beastie Boys are getting more traction out of this joke than any other joke in their history. It was a total Spinal Tap move to put out a Part 2 before a Part 1 came out, which was funny, but I don't think there's some secret Part 1 out there on a scratchy cassette tape in someone's wine cellar.

Sir SkratchaLot
11-30-2020, 01:26 PM

I just listened to Tadlocks Glasses, Funky Donkey and Lee Majors Come Again so far.

I can't hear any differences with Tadlocks Glasses or Funky Donkey in the sorts of things you would expect to hear differences in, such as panning and effects. Those are the sorts of things that generally get tweaked in mixing/mastering.

Lee Majors, on the other hand, does have those sorts of differences. And Lee Majors is one of the tracks that got an early, non-Zdar release so that makes sense.

If you put on headphones the panning is the easiest thing to pick out.

So, I'm guessing these are re-ordered tracks and, when available, the earlier (non Zdar) mixes have been swapped in for the album versions.

Bradleystp
11-30-2020, 07:09 PM
https://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4137233-first-listen--beastie-boys-hot-sauce-committee-pt-1

That is a review from the original listening for Part 1. Bundt cake was a skit, and Lisa/Lisa was always the last track (Hidden at the end of the album on the original.)

One thing I always liked on the original track list was it started and ended with them saying "New York City"

Micodin
11-30-2020, 07:28 PM
https://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4137233-first-listen--beastie-boys-hot-sauce-committee-pt-1One thing I always liked on the original track list was it started and ended with them saying "New York City"

i made a playlist of the Part 2 songs in the HSC1 order. i think it works better.

Bradleystp
11-30-2020, 09:50 PM
i made a playlist of the Part 2 songs in the HSC1 order. i think it works better.

Me too! I really enjoy the Part 1 track order. I just wish we could have gotten that artwork. I was excited when that art dropped, and knowing I would have it on vinyl. I was pretty disappointed when it changed to the art on 2.....

I wish we could get the original 'Here's a little somethin', just to hear it. Not the weird remix from the video game. And Bundt Cake, of course.

brmanuk
12-01-2020, 02:55 AM
I commented on the Non Stop Disco Powerpack video asking whether or not the uploader had substituted tracks from HSCP2 and this was their response:

Beastie Boys Collection
All the tracks are from Hot Sauce part 1. Nothing is from part 2. They are all off the part 1 cd.

I haven’t had a chance to listen with headphones yet but I’ll do that and also compare the waveforms to the mastered disc and see if there’s any differences.

Kid Presentable
12-01-2020, 04:32 AM
I commented on the Non Stop Disco Powerpack video asking whether or not the uploader had substituted tracks from HSCP2 and this was their response:

I haven’t had a chance to listen with headphones yet but I’ll do that and also compare the waveforms to the mastered disc and see if there’s any differences.

He’s either lying or been lied to.

JohnnyChavello
12-01-2020, 10:56 AM
He’s either lying or been lied to.

Just listened to B-Boys in the Cut on this thing and Adrock's cadence on the verse that includes "Oscar the Grouch...trashy; rockin' Derelict...flashy" is way different.

cj hood
12-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Just listened to B-Boys in the Cut on this thing and Adrock's cadence on the verse that includes "Oscar the Grouch...trashy; rockin' Derelict...flashy" is way different.

whole thing is different....

Micodin
12-01-2020, 12:05 PM

did B-Boys in the Cut get a early pre Zdar release? because this is def different than the Part Two version.

the review of HSCP1 said Bundt Cake was 21 seconds of a crisp drum break and snatches of cyber vocals. this version has the crisp drums but i don’t really hear any vocals.

i dunno guys, someone needs to get the scoop from the guy that uploaded this. i’d like to hear him out.

dave790
12-01-2020, 12:10 PM
B-Boys in the Cut came out before / pre-Zdar via the instrumental and acapella being released separately.

So I’m still not convinced, but happy to be proven wrong. A photo of the (presumably promo) cd would help matters.

dave790
12-01-2020, 12:11 PM
whole thing is different....

Do you know if this is legit not?

A straight yes or no would be appreciated, and refreshing!

Micodin
12-01-2020, 12:17 PM
B-Boys in the Cut came out before / pre-Zdar via the instrumental and acapella being released separately.

ok well that makes sense because the version of B-Boys in the Cut thats on this guy’s Youtube channel is a vinyl rip. i could distinctly hear the pops.

cj hood
12-01-2020, 12:26 PM

Legit how?

BeastieBoys Collections is probably someone out of their camp....

bigdan2276
12-01-2020, 12:49 PM
The transitions between some tracks aren't the cleanest, especially the end of "Too Many Rappers" -- which leads me to believe this was put together piece by piece, as opposed to it being one cohesive album

Bradleystp
12-01-2020, 04:43 PM
ok well that makes sense because the version of B-Boys in the Cut thats on this guy’s Youtube channel is a vinyl rip. i could distinctly hear the pops.

I remember this came out in two parts, and someone put it together. The instrumental was on one thing, and the acapella was on another. I don't remember the specifics. It sounds like someone misaligned that last verse (not their fault, they had no idea what it would sound like)

But this was definitely the one someone put together from vinyl rips. Which makes the quote from the uploader that "These all came from the Part 1 CD" not true.

Micodin
12-01-2020, 05:45 PM
But this was definitely the one someone put together from vinyl rips. Which makes the quote from the uploader that "These all came from the Part 1 CD" not true.

i concur.

Kid Presentable
12-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Lee Majors, Pop your Balloon and B-Boys in the cut are literally the same rips we had in 2009. Cut is off cadence-wise because someone mashed the pella and the beat together (Zane Lowe played the official version a few months later, I believe). Balloon even has the cursing removed because it was ripped from a game.

Make Some Noise turned up on Z-Trips redacted thing, in its pre-Zdar glory, as limp and as lifeless as lettuce audio-wise. This one ain’t it.

AND it’s the 2011 HALSFY.

This is a playlist.

Micodin
12-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Lee Majors, Pop your Balloon and B-Boys in the cut are literally the same rips we had in 2009. Cut is off cadence-wise because someone mashed the pella and the beat together (Zane Lowe played the official version a few months later, I believe). Balloon even has the cursing removed because it was ripped from a game.

Make Some Noise turned up on Z-Trips redacted thing, in its pre-Zdar glory, as limp and as lifeless as lettuce audio-wise. This one ain’t it.

AND it’s the 2011 HALSFY.

This is a playlist.

i’d like to think some guy put this shabbily together and sold it to the Youtube guy on ebay. maybe he genuinely thought he had the real thing? we all could of done a better job than this lol.

was HALSFY was released before HSCP2? i don’t remember a different version.

Kid Presentable
12-01-2020, 07:15 PM
i’d like to think some guy put this shabbily together and sold it to the Youtube guy on ebay. maybe he genuinely thought he had the real thing? we all could of done a better job than this lol.

was HALSFY was released before HSCP2? i don’t remember a different version.

My mistake: 2011 verses led me to conclude it’s the 2011 version. 2009 verses (Dr Ochek, dead mans ligament) were only ever on the DJ Hero mix, but safe assumption they were ‘final’ at that point.

Micodin
12-01-2020, 08:03 PM
i keep forgetting about the DJ Hero cuts.

jimmyjrg
12-02-2020, 04:26 AM
i keep forgetting about the DJ Hero cuts.

Were they ripped? I'll have to check those out.

jayjacobson16
12-02-2020, 04:51 AM
Just discovered this on Youtube and came here to see if any of you guys posted. I'm pretty sure this is just an edited HSCpt2. Anyone remember that Beastie mashup, that one DJ did that had the original Make Some Noise? The OG Make Some Noise didn't have the "Party on the left/right, Right to Fight" prechorus part, which I'm sure was recorded later, especially considering it fits with FFYR Revisited.

Really wish this was legit, but even B-boys in the Cut sounds exactly like the fan mashup of the pella with the "El Bando" instrumental from 2009, which is why the vocals are off beat.(n)

Micodin
12-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Were they ripped? I'll have to check those out.

https://youtu.be/-j2I8D-jNLc

bigfatlove06
12-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Legit how?

BeastieBoys Collections is probably someone out of their camp....

Nope. I know him. I'll ask how he put it together.

tuc70021
12-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Here's a slightly better quality version that doesn't have the crowd background noise from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_EVVVzVMEM

I'm wondering if this is a vinyl rip - just guessing. I have the vinyl single with this on it from a Record Store Day release and it sounds just like this.

Micodin
12-02-2020, 02:12 PM
Here's a slightly better quality version that doesn't have the crowd background noise from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_EVVVzVMEM

I'm wondering if this is a vinyl rip - just guessing. I have the vinyl single with this on it from a Record Store Day release and it sounds just like this.

word word. i just dug my RSD 12" out of the crates and gave it a spin. i forgot the b-side was Daft Punk "Da Funk" mashed with Lee Majors Come Again.

i still have a sealed copy if anyone is looking for one.

Sir SkratchaLot
12-02-2020, 03:55 PM
word word. i just dug my RSD 12" out of the crates and gave it a spin. i forgot the b-side was Daft Punk "Da Funk" mashed with Lee Majors Come Again.

i still have a sealed copy if anyone is looking for one.

I ended up with a few copies too. I remember advance calling the record store thinking there was going to be a lot of competition to get the new Beastie Boys record and it was pretty much the opposite. One record store held a copy for me and I went to another and just picked it up out of the crate.

bigfatlove06
12-02-2020, 06:11 PM
did B-Boys in the Cut get a early pre Zdar release? because this is def different than the Part Two version.

the review of HSCP1 said Bundt Cake was 21 seconds of a crisp drum break and snatches of cyber vocals. this version has the crisp drums but i don’t really hear any vocals.

i dunno guys, someone needs to get the scoop from the guy that uploaded this. i’d like to hear him out.

I'm on that.

brmanuk
12-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Anyone know where I can hear this version of Make Some Noise?

Micodin
12-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Anyone know where I can hear this version of Make Some Noise?

around the 9:30 mark

https://youtu.be/5CeIBLUFj70

Kid Presentable
12-02-2020, 10:01 PM

Nowhere near as bad as I remember, but it was jarring at the time beside shit like Pass the Mic etc.

Actually quite enjoyable.

Kid Presentable
12-02-2020, 10:03 PM

It’s either going to be a rip of the ‘combined’ version (most likely as the timing is off) or it’s a rip of the version Zane played from the UK press tour just before Yauch’s announcement.

cj hood
12-03-2020, 07:52 AM

Love this...

tuc70021
12-03-2020, 12:01 PM

Ok, this is a perpetual problem for me as I don't seem to be able to grasp recording/sound reinforcement at all, but can someone explain how a mix like this can actually be made? There was a point where the vocals for Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun were laid over some other beat, but as far as I know the acapella for that track was never released. Does this DJ just have some exclusive access to instrumentals/acapellas? Is there a way to isolate vocals through a mixer or something? Or were these instrumentals/acapellas just released on some bootlegs I don't know about.

Sir SkratchaLot
12-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Ok, this is a perpetual problem for me as I don't seem to be able to grasp recording/sound reinforcement at all, but can someone explain how a mix like this can actually be made? There was a point where the vocals for Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun were laid over some other beat, but as far as I know the acapella for that track was never released. Does this DJ just have some exclusive access to instrumentals/acapellas? Is there a way to isolate vocals through a mixer or something? Or were these instrumentals/acapellas just released on some bootlegs I don't know about.

Z-Trip is a very high-profile DJ so there is a very good chance that he may have access to certain tracks or even components of the tracks ("stems") directly from the Beastie Boys. I suspect that's how he got the early version of "Make Some Noise". Even back in the old days, DJs would get advanced a cappellas so that they could remix tracks for official remixes. So, DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill fame got the a cappella of "So What Cha Want" back in 92 and used that to create his remix for the single. There are also a good amount of "unreleased" instrumentals floating around that were obtained from concert/show vinyl that ended up in collectors' hands. Also, the Beasties self-released a lot of a cappella trough this website some time ago (Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun was one of them).

It used to be that DJs would have to track down the vinyl and piece these mixes together (either live using turntables, or on a multi-track recorder) directly from the vinyl. So, for example, you can get the instrumental version of a track and put the a cappella from another track over that. There are tons of tricks. You can create "instrumentals" by manual looping of parts of the track turntables. Or, you can track down the source samples and use those. You're basically just tempo-matching the sounds and bringing them in and out in much the same way that hip hop tracks are produced in the first place.

Now that DJs have digital tools, they can piece together audio from any source and the sharing of digital files is really easy. You no longer have to track down concert vinyl with only 10 copies in existence to get instrumentals. You can just download the file and put it into your digital djing program and control it just like it was vinyl.

Sir SkratchaLot
12-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Don't know if this helps you conceptualize the process, but here is the into to an 80s mix I did. The video shows what records I used and when they come in and out of the mix so that you can visualize how the audio-mix was created. Pretty much all DJs mixes use similar concepts when putting together a mix.

https://youtu.be/WjziRqW9HoM

dave790
12-03-2020, 01:08 PM

Missed this the first time, thanks a lot.

I like and possibly prefer the OG mix, but I can certainly appreciate what Zdar brought to the table.

Micodin
12-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Missed this the first time, thanks a lot.

I like and possibly prefer the OG mix, but I can certainly appreciate what Zdar brought to the table.

the mixing in the pre Zadar cuts sound closer to the Mario C days and that’s why i think i prefer them. i really wish they would put out a Mario mix of HSC and call it Part One.

bigfatlove06
12-03-2020, 01:55 PM
It’s either going to be a rip of the ‘combined’ version (most likely as the timing is off) or it’s a rip of the version Zane played from the UK press tour just before Yauch’s announcement.

I spoke with the dude from Beastie Collection. These tracks came from a torrent site. They are a combo of tracks from different sources. I put together a list of tracks very similar to this many years ago, but didn't create this torrent. I asked him if he wants me to send him the source tracks for the project I worked on along with the info for the source audio for all of them. He thought that was a cool idea, so he'll be posting the "complete" version that I envisioned from 2011. That seemed easier than trying to back into where each version of the one he currently has posted came from. So look out for those if you are interested.

But, yeah, it isn't a "leak" or any type of official version of HSCP1. Mystery solved.

dave790
12-03-2020, 02:58 PM
the mixing in the pre Zadar cuts sound closer to the Mario C days and that’s why i think i prefer them.

Yeah. For an album that is effectively driven by the same sprit as those 90s Mario C albums, it's a superior mix for me. Make Some Noise sounds rawer and all the better for it.

Brother McDuff
12-04-2020, 07:36 AM
the original mixdown that the boys did themselves was really dark and muddy. and while Zdar’s mix was a large improvement, i also feel like the sub frequencies are a little out of control, and unnatural. that was likely by the boys’ request though, and a result of them recording it themselves. i think Zdar was ultimately called in on a rescue mission to try and squeeze the most he could out of the raw tracks. likely why it sounds so compressed too, and the low end so manufactured sounding.

all and all, one of my lesser liked records of their’s from a sonic standpoint. it was gratifying to hear Adam express his respect for Mario in the book, and admit they would have been better off enlisting him on later projects.

tuc70021
12-04-2020, 08:57 AM
Z-Trip is a very high-profile DJ so there is a very good chance that he may have access to certain tracks or even components of the tracks ("stems") directly from the Beastie Boys. I suspect that's how he got the early version of "Make Some Noise". Even back in the old days, DJs would get advanced a cappellas so that they could remix tracks for official remixes. So, DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill fame got the a cappella of "So What Cha Want" back in 92 and used that to create his remix for the single. There are also a good amount of "unreleased" instrumentals floating around that were obtained from concert/show vinyl that ended up in collectors' hands. Also, the Beasties self-released a lot of a cappella trough this website some time ago (Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun was one of them).

It used to be that DJs would have to track down the vinyl and piece these mixes together (either live using turntables, or on a multi-track recorder) directly from the vinyl. So, for example, you can get the instrumental version of a track and put the a cappella from another track over that. There are tons of tricks. You can create "instrumentals" by manual looping of parts of the track turntables. Or, you can track down the source samples and use those. You're basically just tempo-matching the sounds and bringing them in and out in much the same way that hip hop tracks are produced in the first place.

Now that DJs have digital tools, they can piece together audio from any source and the sharing of digital files is really easy. You no longer have to track down concert vinyl with only 10 copies in existence to get instrumentals. You can just download the file and put it into your digital djing program and control it just like it was vinyl.

Thanks for this detailed explanation. That's kind of what I assumed, but wasn't sure if that's still how it worked, albeit without the endless searching for show vinyl like you said. I have a pretty big and pretty useless collection of singles from back in the day when I'd want to get the instrumentals to something and the only way to get them was to find a 12" that usually had the LP version, clean version, instrumental, and acapella.

jimmyjrg
12-06-2020, 04:23 AM
Thanks for this detailed explanation. That's kind of what I assumed, but wasn't sure if that's still how it worked, albeit without the endless searching for show vinyl like you said. I have a pretty big and pretty useless collection of singles from back in the day when I'd want to get the instrumentals to something and the only way to get them was to find a 12" that usually had the LP version, clean version, instrumental, and acapella.

You can isolate vocals to create an accapella by playing the instrumental and album version over each other and phasing out the instruments. It only works if the mix is the same on the normal version and instrumentals. I made heaps of accapellas this way, but it doesn't always work well. At the very least you can make some isolated vocals and alternative mixes.

If there's any Beastie Boys stuff you want acapellas for I can try and make some as long as there's an instrumental version available too.

bigfatlove06
12-12-2020, 01:14 PM
I spoke with the dude from Beastie Collection. These tracks came from a torrent site. They are a combo of tracks from different sources. I put together a list of tracks very similar to this many years ago, but didn't create this torrent. I asked him if he wants me to send him the source tracks for the project I worked on along with the info for the source audio for all of them. He thought that was a cool idea, so he'll be posting the "complete" version that I envisioned from 2011. That seemed easier than trying to back into where each version of the one he currently has posted came from. So look out for those if you are interested.

But, yeah, it isn't a "leak" or any type of official version of HSCP1. Mystery solved.

And... here it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J968QiPFWqM&list=PLA3xt7Uq00quG0rP7dQbQy5MTa0WfglVf)

I think that this playlist can be fun for anyone. It pretty much archives everything that was relevant as far as HSCP1 or HSCP2. It's a story that fans, collectors, re-mixers, archivists, and historians can appreciate at any level.

If you wanna spend 2 minutes finding something to listen to, you can.
If you wanna spend an hour revisiting a particular song or two, you can.
If you wanna spend 7 hours listening to the entire playlist, you can.

Whichever you pick is probably going to be fun.

brooklyndust
12-12-2020, 01:31 PM
And... here it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J968QiPFWqM&list=PLA3xt7Uq00quG0rP7dQbQy5MTa0WfglVf)

wow! thank you.

brooklyndust
12-12-2020, 01:33 PM

I don't think I remember hearing this before. I like it! Maybe more than the original version or maybe because it's just something different.

I also prefer the og version of Too Many Rappers. I would love to hear the pre Zadar mixes and the original lyrics too.

bigfatlove06
12-12-2020, 02:44 PM

No.

I wondered the same thing. So I asked. It is actually a pretty cool story about how he found a torrent back in the day and downloaded it and just let it keep running for 5 or so years. When the torrent actually downloaded it was password protected so he spent another long while trying to get other people to break the code so he could hear the files. Sadly, that didn't work, so he actually took whatever time was needed going through probable passwords until he tried tadlocksglasses and hacked the protected password. Then he did what most of us would have done and shared it.

I thought it was a cool story. He's since added a more comprehensive playlist that tells a larger story.