PDA

View Full Version : The Prince of Sides

WesleyOHSnaps!
03-29-2022, 09:42 PM
Andre Kelman who was the sound engineer at Oscilloscope Laboratories and worked on Hot Sauce talked with Jim Shearer on his beastie podcast and they talked about the recording sessions they were doing in 2011 and how it was a bunch of stuff Yauch wrote that was hardcore stuff, that and the recording of Hot Sauce and he said that Bundt Cake is it’s own song and wasn’t renamed even mentions Adrock had a line it about Mike D’s perm. Talk a bit about other artist who came through and said that Jack White was one of them and there is a recording of him and Yauch just jamming. And spoke of Management having all the tapes. I believe management is Mike.

Pretty good stuff.

WesleyOHSnaps!
04-08-2022, 12:04 PM
Shearer did a 10 year + 1 anniversary special Hot Sauce and he had the engineer mentioned above on it and they go through song by song on it. Pretty good stuff.

Micodin
04-08-2022, 12:52 PM
I’m always swamped with podcasts and I sadly haven’t gotten to Jim’s podcast yet but this is a good reminder to check one out this weekend.

pesto pizza
04-12-2022, 12:33 AM
Hot sauce committee part 3!

30-40 songs.

Recording Dec 2011

Late-Night Lion
04-13-2022, 07:07 AM
I really hope we get to hear this stuff someday...I also can't believe that the original HSCP1 release never leaked in any capacity.

Micodin
04-13-2022, 12:28 PM
same. i’d love to hear what parts 1 and 3 sounded like.

Sir SkratchaLot
04-13-2022, 09:21 PM
I really enjoyed Hot Sauce Pt II. Underated album in my opinion. I'll never forget that Madison Square Garden premier.

Sir SkratchaLot
04-14-2022, 07:49 AM
Here's the link

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-brouhaha-beastie-boys-podcast/id375048944

Micodin
04-14-2022, 09:30 AM
I really enjoyed Hot Sauce Pt II. Underated album in my opinion. I'll never forget that Madison Square Garden premier.

I really dig the album but i have a tough time listening to it tbh. not because of quality but because it’s Yauch’s last album and for some reason it makes me bummed out while listening.

that said, it sounds spectacular on wax. even the donuts they put out for it sounds fucking nice.

fonky pizza
04-14-2022, 12:32 PM
30-40 songs!! :eek:(y)

Kid Presentable
04-15-2022, 06:32 PM

It’s still spectacular. Crazy to think it would have been just the beginning.

Wonder if Part 3 is what Part 1 became (I.e the fabled second release) before plans were shut down. I also really like the sound of another hardcore song with raps, particularly if it includes samples of them clowning in 1986. So odd and interesting to think about.

Brother McDuff
04-15-2022, 07:20 PM
It’s still spectacular. Crazy to think it would have been just the beginning.

Wonder if Part 3 is what Part 1 became (I.e the fabled second release) before plans were shut down. I also really like the sound of another hardcore song with raps, particularly if it includes samples of them clowning in 1986. So odd and interesting to think about.

Man, thanks for pointing that out. Totally flew past my radar that Lee Majors was rapping over hardcore. Didnt even put that together. I just thought: beastie boys, hardcore, rapping = business as usual. at least in retrospect i dont recall that identification. yet another formula of the bboys alchemizing genres in a new way. that shit was super dope. on board with some more of that potentially surfacing.

dust monkey
04-18-2022, 10:38 AM
I really dig the album but i have a tough time listening to it tbh. not because of quality but because it’s Yauch’s last album and for some reason it makes me bummed out while listening.

this. me too and as far as i know this has not been mentioned before. HSCII is a tough listen for me, especially the more i know about how happy/creative space they thought they were in. horovitz said it felt like '94, making up the crazy samples, etc.. great album but a tough listen.

Late-Night Lion
04-19-2022, 06:16 AM
this. me too and as far as i know this has not been mentioned before. HSCII is a tough listen for me, especially the more i know about how happy/creative space they thought they were in. horovitz said it felt like '94, making up the crazy samples, etc.. great album but a tough listen.

Totally agreed. I love the album but it makes me sad thinking what could have been. These songs would have been so good to see performed live.

facedownfall
04-20-2022, 12:03 PM
Totally agreed. I love the album but it makes me sad thinking what could have been. These songs would have been so good to see performed live.

And we will never hear it

fonky pizza
04-21-2022, 01:36 PM
Yes, I often wonder how great those shows would have been! Songs like Say it! the bass is so hardcore, make some noise live would have been so fun!! Ahhh.... love this record real hot sauce!

brooklyndust
04-23-2022, 10:26 AM

Same, there are some classics on that album that I could have seen being new live staples.

brooklyndust
04-23-2022, 10:29 AM
Here's the link

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-brouhaha-beastie-boys-podcast/id375048944

Really great listen, so much fun trivia and information. It would be great to hear that alternate version of Sabotage they were talking about with different lyrics and the last verse being first.

Jim's podcasts are great, have to catch up on about 10 episodes.