PDA

View Full Version : Adrock's new benefit song "Pasadena Parrots"...

ClarenceAlabama
08-24-2022, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRFa8qXNy6Y

Here's the story behind the song...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beastie-boys-adrock-for-the-birds-volume-three-1389794/

I wouldn't mind hearing new rock songs by Adrock.

paulb
08-24-2022, 10:44 PM
Damn, thanks for posting this! I could use a whole album of this energy maybe throw Mike D in too.

fonky pizza
08-25-2022, 09:05 AM
Nice contribution for the birds (y)

dust monkey
08-25-2022, 11:07 AM
wow wasn't expecting that. on some dfl shit. i like it for the 45 seconds.

cj hood
08-25-2022, 01:26 PM
💩💩💩

abbott
08-27-2022, 06:18 AM
it's for the birds

dust monkey
08-29-2022, 10:44 AM
it's disappointing how lazy horovitz got. i mean.... he/they are so young, i know they have more to give, more ideas, more music, more trendsetting adidas campus grand royal face of the monkey jazz infused hardcore on the hip hop tip smoothed out butter soft museum quality beats and rhymes. i will never understand the loss and what yauch meant above the book and words but he is waaay too young to toss in the towel. it's been 10 years. not expecting some mtv vanguard award comeback of the year thing, not expecting a beastie boys thing, but surely there must be something left in the tank aside from a 40 second hardcore bird song....

ClarenceAlabama
08-29-2022, 12:50 PM
it's disappointing how lazy horovitz got. i mean.... he/they are so young, i know they have more to give, more ideas, more music, more trendsetting adidas campus grand royal face of the monkey jazz infused hardcore on the hip hip tip smoothed out butter soft museum quality beats and rhymes. i will never understand the loss and what yauch meant above the book and words but he is waaay too young to toss in the towel. it's been 10 years. not expecting some mtv vanguard award comeback of the year thing, not expecting a beastie boys thing, but surely there must be something left in the tank aside from a 40 second hardcore bird song....

I was hoping after a few years, one of the boys would release a solo album or join a super group or something since they were life long musicians... Unfortunately it never happened

Brother McDuff
08-29-2022, 03:04 PM
-

Sir SkratchaLot
08-29-2022, 03:59 PM
The first thing I would say is that Adam and Mike both seem well poised for retirement. They've put in the work and they probably have the resources to pretty much do what they want. It wouldn't surprise me if he made this track as a favor to somebody.

The other thing is, these guys took ages to put out music even when they were still making music as "Beastie Boys". Maybe they just haven't gotten inspired yet.

Extra Cheese
08-29-2022, 06:41 PM
Dude’s been in like 3 movies, scored films, has a kid, wrote a book. I think he’s just doing whatever he feels like doing

Nothing wrong with that

3stooges
08-30-2022, 06:46 AM
I was hoping after a few years, one of the boys would release a solo album or join a super group or something since they were life long musicians... Unfortunately it never happened

I have to admit I am pretty surprised something like that hasn't happened yet. Considering how much they did up to that point, you would think it would still need to be a part of life. The book/book shows/movie I guess was something. But that was a memoir. It's something old, not something new.

dust monkey
08-30-2022, 10:38 AM
... I think he’s just doing whatever he feels like doing

Nothing wrong with that

of course there is nothing wrong with it, i'm just saying it's disappointing. when your whole life is cued to each era, in my case i was usually one album behind in terms of how i was behaving vs. them. i'd just love to hear what art they could create in their 50's...and again not beasties.

dave790
08-31-2022, 08:42 AM
So entitled it’s unreal.

J DEVIOUS
08-31-2022, 12:11 PM
Dude’s been in like 3 movies, scored films, has a kid, wrote a book. I think he’s just doing whatever he feels like doing

Nothing wrong with that

word to that!

Brass Monk
08-31-2022, 12:28 PM
of course there is nothing wrong with it, i'm just saying it's disappointing. when your whole life is cued to each era, in my case i was usually one album behind in terms of how i was behaving vs. them. i'd just love to hear what art they could create in their 50's...and again not beasties.
If you say anything remotely critical, that is the response you get here, automatically. That lame strawman response.

dust monkey
08-31-2022, 12:48 PM
So entitled it’s unreal.

exactly...

Micodin
08-31-2022, 04:59 PM

Nothing wrong with that

facts. also went on a live book tour with Mike and turned it into a movie. i’m sure he hasn’t been stoned on his couch eating chinese food watching cartoons all this time lol.

Kid Presentable
08-31-2022, 11:00 PM

Nothing wrong with that

We should all be so lucky. Notwithstanding the massive personal and professional tragedy that has put him where he is currently.

bigfatlove06
09-01-2022, 12:57 AM
I liked the track. I'm glad I got to hear it. I would love to hear more.
I'd never call him out for being done, or doing what he loves.

dust monkey
09-01-2022, 11:27 AM
man we're all getting old and sooo nice.

remember those days when a hot take would ignite a weeklong smackdown of insults and slurs and slights....

bigfatlove06
09-01-2022, 12:07 PM
man we're all getting old and sooo nice.

remember those days when a hot take would ignite a weeklong smackdown of insults and slurs and slights....

It's against the system we should unite.

fonky pizza
09-01-2022, 03:51 PM
Sounds better than the AH joint! :cool:

dave790
09-02-2022, 08:45 AM
If you say anything remotely critical, that is the response you get here, automatically. That lame strawman response.

It’s beyond that though isn’t it. No one has - or at least shouldn’t have - any issue with criticism of the Beastie Boys actions, material, comments, news, performances etc. It’s all valid discussion, and opinions make the board go round.

However, the band are finished. It’s long been that way and quite understandably so. There’s never been any mention from Mike or Adam on working together or separately in music again. To criticise someone for being ‘lazy’ because you’re used to his former band’s previous output arriving on cue (which, frankly, is bizarre given their notoriously non-conformist schedule) is at best entitled, at worst moronic. The surviving members can do what the hell they want. Why be frustrated over something that doesn’t exist? If Adam promised you a further project and then didn’t deliver, I might understand - but even then I’d accept that it’s his decision. I’d also consider there’s probably more going on in his life than trying to appease dissatisfied fans after a lifetime’s work, or simply no desire to do so.

Brass Monk
09-02-2022, 03:25 PM
It’s beyond that though isn’t it. No one has - or at least shouldn’t have - any issue with criticism of the Beastie Boys actions, material, comments, news, performances etc. It’s all valid discussion, and opinions make the board go round.

However, the band are finished. It’s long been that way and quite understandably so. There’s never been any mention from Mike or Adam on working together or separately in music again. To criticise someone for being ‘lazy’ because you’re used to his former band’s previous output arriving on cue (which, frankly, is bizarre given their notoriously non-conformist schedule) is at best entitled, at worst moronic. The surviving members can do what the hell they want. Why be frustrated over something that doesn’t exist? If Adam promised you a further project and then didn’t deliver, I might understand - but even then I’d accept that it’s his decision. I’d also consider there’s probably more going on in his life than trying to appease dissatisfied fans after a lifetime’s work, or simply no desire to do so.

Nobody is saying they can't do what they want! But if there is a new track and it sucks, fans should be able to say so on here without getting the "leave him alone he can do whatever he wants!" strawman non-sense. That's just part of being an artist. Most of the post Beastie Boys stuff has been flat out awful which is fine but I'm not going to pretend it's good, he's not 6 years old.

dust monkey
09-02-2022, 04:02 PM
i stand by my lazy comment. i would say the same thing to my wife or kid or business partner if i thought applicable in the context of their professional career and/or something that has defined them since they were 13 years old...especially if i thought they had more to give that could/would perhaps touch people, change peoples lives, inspire others, bring people joy, make the world a little better place, etc..

part of me is inspired by his just don't give a fuck attitude, can't get more punk and larry david than that. running through dan rather's interview, fucking with mike on echo chamber, the rubin pod, the WTF pod...come on man, rock the bells in his garage, etc.....his engagement on all those is minimal at best but kinda funny. all i'm saying is that i hear a little 30 second hardcore jam about birds, or his bars on YO KEV and in my mind i think.....dude ad rock, i can almost guarantee you want to go all-in like your verse on spam or hurras tracks, or on that DFL shit and you know you can, so can you please just give me more art to consume because i love you and the world needs you.

fan selfish perhaps...but hey so be it. i think it's ok for fans of their favorite band/actor/actress/poet/DJ/musician/etc. to still want the absolute best from them.

example. i love de niro, my #2 fav actor ever. for the past 15 years he's been lazy in not only selecting his roles, but also (in some cases) lazy in his performances. i think it's ok to be critical of this....and still love him at the same time.

Extra Cheese
09-02-2022, 06:05 PM
nah

you all just want him to do whatever silly ideas you have in your head like putting out a wax only compilation of new rhymes, non-political of course and mostly about weed, put out by rhymesayers, followed by a tour with a hologram yauch so you all can then say even more stupid shit like rope! rope! rope! so rope!

bigfatlove06
09-03-2022, 11:17 AM

Lazy isn't a word I would have used if I thought about it for a long time. By the same token, neither is entitled. Both are opinions that label others without foundation, and subjective. I agree absolutely that it's all valid discussion, and opinions make the board go round.
Editing this post to mention that I am not the person who used the term lazy or entitled, just offering my opinion on their use by others.

Brother McDuff
09-03-2022, 12:54 PM
their legacy alone should substantiate their right to 'casually' create. as if that right should ever be in question under any circumstance, really. any opinion of the output is valid, favorable or otherwise, however to criticize the integrity of their work ethic veers into accusational territory, which feels awfully unjustified.

dust monkey
09-03-2022, 04:03 PM
nah

you all just want him to do whatever silly ideas you have in your head like putting out a wax only compilation of new rhymes, non-political of course and mostly about weed, put out by rhymesayers, followed by a tour with a hologram yauch so you all can then say even more stupid shit like rope! rope! rope! so rope!

this is really funny. like one of the funniest responses i've read on here in a long time...a long long time.

in other news, david lee roth aka roth lives released a studio live version of panama today, or yesterday or something. in honor of this release and the minute and a half i got into listening to it....I TAKE BACK EVERY WORD I SAID ABOUT THE KID. happy retirement my guy and thank you for a lifetime worth of growing up soundtracks, def rhymes, dope beats and funny interviews. gratitude ad rock.

WesleyOHSnaps!
09-04-2022, 08:01 AM
nah

Hillarious.

fonky pizza
09-04-2022, 10:41 AM
I didn't check the other artists on this compilation but I think Ad Rock's track may be the most original and punk à la bs2000.

cj hood
09-05-2022, 08:39 AM
nah

Now you're talkin...

M|X|Y
09-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Maybe Adrock and Mike D just weren't as expressive and artistic as MCA and that is why we see no more art from them?

fonky pizza
09-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Ask the hologram!

dust monkey
09-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Ask the hologram!

ha....that's rope!

abbott
09-09-2022, 08:32 AM
I did not pay for anythng because I am so poor in currancy. however when I first listened to the free for the birds tracks I liked it. Wish I was a real buyer, but for now I am paying other bills

fonky pizza
09-09-2022, 12:34 PM
ha....that's rope!

Hehe...Thanks for the example!

Jiberish
09-10-2022, 12:39 PM
I don't understand what anybody is complaining about. That was a really (r)(d)ope 45 seconds of experimental punk rock noise. I really dig the tweking he did to the birdsong deeper in the mix.

At least for me the next track on youtube is Yo Yo Ma's contribution. Adrock's is the perfect antithesis lead in.

I'd love to hear more of this punk rock/BS2000 combo. If that what he feels like making, I'm here for it.

paulb
09-11-2022, 10:24 PM
I don't understand what anybody is complaining about. That was a really (r)(d)ope 45 seconds of experimental punk rock noise. I really dig the tweking he did to the birdsong deeper in the mix.

At least for me the next track on youtube is Yo Yo Ma's contribution. Adrock's is the perfect antithesis lead in.

I'd love to hear more of this punk rock/BS2000 combo. If that what he feels like making, I'm here for it.

Well said.

Kid Presentable
09-13-2022, 05:52 AM
Sounds like Beastie Boys

fonky pizza
09-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Sounds like shooting mechanical parrots!

What was the mechanical parrot anyway?
I just remember a poster.

YoungRemy
09-27-2022, 06:06 PM
Deluded as the Next Guy
Pretending and Hoping to Find
That Distant Peace of Mind

abbott
09-29-2022, 11:12 PM

Nothing wrong with that

this

Sir SkratchaLot
10-01-2022, 07:54 AM
Wait, Adrock has a kid now? When did that happen?

fonky pizza
10-04-2022, 08:12 AM
I think we all miss the antidepressants

pm0ney
10-05-2022, 09:10 PM
i stand by my lazy comment. i would say the same thing to my wife or kid or business partner if i thought applicable in the context of their professional career and/or something that has defined them since they were 13 years old...especially if i thought they had more to give that could/would perhaps touch people, change peoples lives, inspire others, bring people joy, make the world a little better place, etc..

part of me is inspired by his just don't give a fuck attitude, can't get more punk and larry david than that. running through dan rather's interview, fucking with mike on echo chamber, the rubin pod, the WTF pod...come on man, rock the bells in his garage, etc.....his engagement on all those is minimal at best but kinda funny. all i'm saying is that i hear a little 30 second hardcore jam about birds, or his bars on YO KEV and in my mind i think.....dude ad rock, i can almost guarantee you want to go all-in like your verse on spam or hurras tracks, or on that DFL shit and you know you can, so can you please just give me more art to consume because i love you and the world needs you.

fan selfish perhaps...but hey so be it. i think it's ok for fans of their favorite band/actor/actress/poet/DJ/musician/etc. to still want the absolute best from them.

example. i love de niro, my #2 fav actor ever. for the past 15 years he's been lazy in not only selecting his roles, but also (in some cases) lazy in his performances. i think it's ok to be critical of this....and still love him at the same time.

I just feel like the passion is gone. It’s finished and it’s never coming back. If he was inspired or wanted to do something, he would have. Yauch dying young was the tragedy of all tragedies, but life goes on. That’s not an excuse. And frankly, he doesn’t need an excuse. I’m with you, I wish he would do more stuff but he always came off as a guy who didn’t feel like doing much anyway. Even back in the heyday.

Also, that bird thing is ridiculous in the most literal sense of the word. That’s a joke.

fonky pizza
10-06-2022, 09:41 AM
I just feel like the passion is gone. It’s finished and it’s never coming back. If he was inspired or wanted to do something, he would have. Yauch dying young was the tragedy of all tragedies, but life goes on. That’s not an excuse. And frankly, he doesn’t need an excuse. I’m with you, I wish he would do more stuff but he always came off as a guy who didn’t feel like doing much anyway. Even back in the heyday.

Also, that bird thing is ridiculous in the most literal sense of the word. That’s a joke.

What a wonderful thing to say about an artist! :eek:
Wait that he' s gonna do other spieces jokes! :p

Extra Cheese
10-07-2022, 11:38 AM
this amount of scorn should've been directed at him for the lady sovereign/northern state stuff

this is a charitable work, which is nothing new for him. I mean he makes a wack looking shoe for planned parenthood and it's all good, a nasty ass sandwich for the dogs and it's all good, he does a charitable project for the birds and now he's lazy and wack

JoLovesMCA
10-08-2022, 10:19 AM
I always assumed he and Mike both retired completely from music. It's always nice to see them do little gigs here and there, but I really don't expect anything from them.

I never cared for the Bridget Everett shows or those weird political projects. I am much more in tune with Mike. His art shows, surfing, wine and food blogs, and DJ gigs. Yay!

But I have always enjoyed Adrock's film work and any music he puts out, even this bird thing, I will take it!

As a selfish fan, I would love to have both of them in the studio releasing some new mixes of their hits or maybe guest spots on other artists tracks. Why? I just don't want people to forget them. I just want people to say oh fuck yes, The Beastie Boys...

I haven't been on here in forever, I didn't think I had my password saved. It feels like I time traveled to the past because this board looked exactly like this the last time I was here.