PDA

View Full Version : Isn't deleting threads a form of censorship?

JasonP
04-08-2004, 08:23 PM
I'm bored so I want to start an interesting discussion.

Isn't deleting threads a form of censorship?

Why were threads which only discussed "downloading" the album deleted?

I want these people to step into the 21st century.

The album will likely get leaked early. People will download it. But they will still sell millions of records, so chill.

I am going to buy the album. But I dont blame anyone who downloads it either.

Also I wanted to add, if you think downloading music is "Lame". Then like the Beastie Boys song goes-- "Hey Fuck You".

limyun
04-08-2004, 08:29 PM
i totally agree nothing should be sensored even on a stupid forum

ChrisLove
04-08-2004, 08:40 PM
I suppose...
The first week of an albums release has the biggest sales. People go out and buy it not having heard much of it or knowing much about it.

But if its already been around on the internet then more people will know whether they like it or not and this will reduce sales.

Now if someone comes on and starts a big thread saying whether they liked the record or not (and I wont repeat that opinion here but Im sure you know what he said) then that could effect album sales too.

Add to that that in the thread people were not merely discussing downloading the record but people were actually describing how, when and where it would be made available for download.

The Beastie Boys and the label are making a business investment in a new album. The music industry is highly competitive which means that profit margins are tight despite what people may tell you - any good business wants to maximise sales and deleting that thread is a (small) part of that operation.

They know people will download/steal the record but they are rational and will seek to minimise that theft. Its like saying a supermarket knows that there are shoplifters and should just accept it instead of employing security guards.

And remember the more money this record makes the more likely we are to get further future albums.

I am not making a moral statement about downloading music I dont care whether its right or wrong and have done it myself but regrdless of whether you see it as stealing or not, it is in the industries interest to cut it out so of course they will try to do that.

ChrisLove
04-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical, you spend 5 minutes thinking out a reasonably informed point/comment defending the position of the mods/admins, write something that by my standards is fairly intelligent and could provoke discussion and it gets moved into one of the least read forums!

I wont forget this grrrr.

:rolleyes:

Caelan
04-08-2004, 08:54 PM
I plan to download and buy the album.

KingPsyz
04-08-2004, 11:32 PM
what kind of dolt makes it known they have obtained a copy of the unreleased record and then informs people how to get it?
any band site would have pulled that thread
and if you don't agree, get off the boards and stop using their bandwith, you seem to not want to help pay for it.

DJ_Skrilla
04-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Psyzmacgrafs
what kind of dolt makes it known they have obtained a copy of the unreleased record and then informs people how to get it?
any band site would have pulled that thread
and if you don't agree, get off the boards and stop using their bandwith, you seem to not want to help pay for it.

Exactly. Censorship my ass when U are coming on to THIER board. I have always thought its fucked up that people put links to download STUDIO beastie songs on FTP/hub whatever. THe live concerts in IMO is one thing being as how they aren't sold but to the 15 year olds who havent heard the b-sides and whatnot and come complaining they want someone to send them "your sisters def" or "booming granny" need to check themselves and go do there homework. I have been a fan for many years and have acquired many beastie tokens (rare cds, LPs, singles) over the years and definelty NOT FOR FREE and not ALL at ONCE either. I mean be thankful for what u get. Go dig and when u find a beastie gem u too will be stoked out like I was the first time....
peace

GingerZombie
04-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Censorship my ass when U are coming on to THIER board

Having argued on several other message boards before about what was censored (nothing illegal or obscene btw) I concluded that, within reason, censorship is a bad idea on boards- especially if argue it's theirs. without us there wouldn't be a board-therefore it is ours and should be open to free speech (again I aint arguing one way or another for downloading music)

"I dont agree with what you have to say, but I defend to death your right to say it"

Just keeping a perspective on things

:cool:

Lex Diamonds
04-09-2004, 07:23 AM
What it comes down to is if you download, you're stealing money and chart positions from Adam Yauch, Michael Diamond, and Adam Horovitz. So you have to ask yourself: how much do you care about the Beastie Boys' careers?

ChrisLove
04-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Stop trying to compare a bands official message board to some kind of utopian democracy!

We dont own this we are kindly permitted to use this space by the band/label WHO PAY FOR IT.

This space is not a free democracy it is like private property where we are welcome as long as we dont take the piss and start stealing from the owners.

JasonP
04-09-2004, 08:17 AM
ChrisLove makes some valid points. The rest of you sound like f*ckin drones. "Dont you care about the Beastie Boys careers", c'mon get serious. Is listening to them on the radio stealing? My biggest beef is that some people can't accept that in 2004 downloading music is the new radio. Deal with it. There is no way to escape it. So learn to embrace it.

JasonP
04-09-2004, 08:21 AM
PS-- I also agree with those who say its their message board and they can do what they want. I just thought it was silly to delete threads.

thegoodmrbrodie!
04-09-2004, 08:29 AM
for it's not really an issue of who own's the bandwidth or the messageboard or whatever. it's about a band who i had previously thought to be for freedom of speech demonstrating the opposite.

ChrisLove
04-09-2004, 08:36 AM
As far as I can tell, threads have been deleted that a) are facilitating the downloading of the record (and surely noone seriously expects that to be allowed here) and b) critises the admins (as seems to be the case with King of Rock).

I am a little surprised b) results in deleted threads but then I dont know exactly what was said he may have launched a personal attack on them and pissed them off?

With regards to a) Its not like the beastie boys have deleted them anyway, the admins run a service for the beastie boys and suddenly see that their service is being used to spread downloaded pirate copies of the album. Minton and Tpk dont want to be responcible for that so of course they will delete.

Echewta
04-09-2004, 03:48 PM
I should put a link on where to download the album so this thread gets deleted.

miss soul fire
04-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Downloading is just a way to know the thing you are going to buy soon.

The original is always better.:)

DjArcadian
04-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Censorship is only supported by the constitution in matters relating to public expression. The Beastie Boys forum is a private entity offered to the public. As such the owners and moderators of this forum can censor posts all they want. However, if this forum were funded by federal dollars that would be another matter.

Nygel
04-09-2004, 09:38 PM
there was a thread that had an address in which it told where to dowload the album? please contact me. now understand this, when downloading the album it isn't stealing, its mearly copying it and so on. now i'd like to mention that it is censorship. but lets say that you just made something and you were famous, now this little secret (thats what this whole damn album is...don't think they care about sales too much) gets out on a website...but its THEIR website. now theres some loyal fans.

ive been gone for a while. so i might have missed something

DjArcadian
04-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Nygel
there was a thread that had an address in which it told where to dowload the album? please contact me. now understand this, when downloading the album it isn't stealing, its mearly copying it and so on.

No, it is stealing. Copying is a matter of taking something you own and actually copying it. So, number 1, you don't own an original copy. Number two, putting something on a website is a form of distribution. When more than one person can access a file that is distribution.

Being that the official album has not been released yet means that the original copy this person may have had is stolen. So what has happened is he's stolen a master copy most likely, illegally copied it (you only have a right to make a backup copy if you OWN the item), and illegally distributed it.

Yes, any time somebody prevents you from saying something it is censorship but you're not making a distinction between federally mandated public censorship (which is illegal) and private censorship. A forum such as this is not run by any government organization nor is it sponsored with federal or state money.

The owners and moderators of this forum are allowed to delete what they want. They are censoring the forum but that is their job. If someone posted a link to download the new album it would be foolish of them NOT to delete it. Additionally, preventing illegal activity such as this is not censorship. It's enforcing ownership rights. Even if this was a federal forum they would still be in the right to delete the post.

You have a lot to learn about ethics and law.

YFF
04-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Nygel
there was a thread that had an address in which it told where to dowload the album? please contact me. now understand this, when downloading the album it isn't stealing, its mearly copying it and so on. now i'd like to mention that it is censorship. but lets say that you just made something and you were famous, now this little secret (thats what this whole damn album is...don't think they care about sales too much) gets out on a website...but its THEIR website. now theres some loyal fans.

ive been gone for a while. so i might have missed something

their wasn't a link in that thread, just somebody who hinted that they where going to spread it around

abcdefz
04-10-2004, 09:33 AM
DjArcadian. Well said.

Why do people feel that other people's private property is their right? Intellectual property is a product, just like anything else.

Yes, I believe that in the best of all worlds, a monetary system wouldn't exist. However, this is not that world.

If someone wants to issue something in the public domain, that's up to them. I've done it; it feels good. If someone wants to hang onto property until other people are ready to legally pony up whatever the author thinks it's worth -- hey, earning an honest living feels good, too!

As far as censorship goes -- nobody's censoring anybody. Go out and shout it from the rooftops, or start your own web site. Then put up your own message board -- which, one day, I assure you, you will feel a need to exercise legitimate editorial control over -- and have your fun and do as you will.

In the meantime, when you're here, you're in someone else's space. Despite what you learned at keggers, it is NOT cool to trash someone else's place. It's NOT. And, deep in your hearts, you know you wouldn't want someone to do it to you.

Jesus, people, how about some gratitude and civility?

ScarySquirrel
04-10-2004, 10:50 AM
I know if I was an artist, I'd want all my message board posters talking about how they could avoid paying for my works through the medium I provide for them.

:rolleyes:

Nygel
04-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by YFF
their wasn't a link in that thread, just somebody who hinted that they where going to spread it around
ok, cuz they were actin as if there was

ChrisLove
04-10-2004, 11:08 AM
^ The post to which I was referring said that the tracks would shortly be made available via a file sharing system (which was named and pretty obvious which one it was but I wont say it here). And this was in the deleted post.