JUST HAD TO SAY IT

Boss Hoss
05-05-2004, 10:28 AM
feta smells like socks but I'm down

Ich_bin_der_Tod
05-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Feta in German- Schafs käse
Schafs - Käse in English Sheep-cheese

ive seen hash Rolls and inside Feta in the store next to us but i dont try it when i tried i give you an report (y)

a funny thing americans say hash to Hackfleisch but in Europe hash is like Mariuhana :D

Ich_bin_der_Tod
05-06-2004, 09:30 AM
I don't even know what feta is, is it like mozerella?
u take milk from sheeps and make chees with it

Ich_bin_der_Tod
05-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Thats realy hard to explain ! U never eat feta ? by an Greek or Türkiye ?
It´s not an tight cheese like Edammer but not soft like brie´ its a little bit like hmmm
u must try it sorry ( flaky and tight u no ?)

U dont have any döner in the near ?

Mo_Rockski
06-01-2004, 06:27 AM
I don't even know what feta is, is it like mozerella?

naw it's a crumbly kind of cheese

ms.peachy
06-01-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm just about to go make a big Greek salad and picked up some fresh feta today just for the occasion.

damaja, feta is nothing like mozz at all! If you tried it expecting it to be similar you would be very very disappointed (and possibly spit it out)! It has a very strong flavour, due to being made with sheep's milk instead of cow. If you have had goat's cheese (sometimes called chevre, that being the french for goat) before then maybe you have some idea. Sheep milk cheeses (there are others besides feta, but feta is the most common) tend to be very "tangy", as sheep milk has a more sour-ish flavour than cow milk. Also feta tends to be quite salty.

Here is the salad I will be making tonight. It's a crowd pleaser; if you have to take a salady thing to like a picnic or BBQ or whatever this summer, it's tasty and easy and you will be very popular amongst the salad-eating types.

2 or 3 tomatoes, depending on how big (often the smallerish ones have more flavour; bigger is not always better in this world...)
1 or 2 cucumbers (see note re: size, above)
2 cloves garlic
package of feta cheese
2 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
calamata olives, a healthy handful
Fresh oregano is best (shouldn't be hard to find this time of year) but dried will do
salt & fresh ground pepper

chop everything up (except the olives, they can go in whole) and chuck into a big bowl. Toss it all around til good and mixed up. Season to taste (test before adding extra salt cuz remember the feta may already be kinda salty). Mix again.

Serve. Recieve compliments graciously.

poist
06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Pizza doesn't exist without feta.

MsCosmicGarden
06-15-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm just about to go make a big Greek salad and picked up some fresh feta today just for the occasion.

damaja, feta is nothing like mozz at all! If you tried it expecting it to be similar you would be very very disappointed (and possibly spit it out)! It has a very strong flavour, due to being made with sheep's milk instead of cow. If you have had goat's cheese (sometimes called chevre, that being the french for goat) before then maybe you have some idea. Sheep milk cheeses (there are others besides feta, but feta is the most common) tend to be very "tangy", as sheep milk has a more sour-ish flavour than cow milk. Also feta tends to be quite salty.

Here is the salad I will be making tonight. It's a crowd pleaser; if you have to take a salady thing to like a picnic or BBQ or whatever this summer, it's tasty and easy and you will be very popular amongst the salad-eating types.

2 or 3 tomatoes, depending on how big (often the smallerish ones have more flavour; bigger is not always better in this world...)
1 or 2 cucumbers (see note re: size, above)
2 cloves garlic
package of feta cheese
2 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
calamata olives, a healthy handful
Fresh oregano is best (shouldn't be hard to find this time of year) but dried will do
salt & fresh ground pepper

chop everything up (except the olives, they can go in whole) and chuck into a big bowl. Toss it all around til good and mixed up. Season to taste (test before adding extra salt cuz remember the feta may already be kinda salty). Mix again.

Serve. Recieve compliments graciously.

WoW sounds like a healthy meal! Tks for sharing the recipe...I hope to try it one of these days...instead of going for the Big Mac (wink)

ms.peachy
06-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Hot tip of the day for UK residents: The Waitrose own-brand Feta cheese with carmelised onion and rosemary pizza is UNBELIEVEABLY delicious!

NicRN77
06-16-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm a bit obsessed with feta cheese. Can't eat a salad anymore without it. YUM!

HEIRESS
07-05-2004, 07:47 PM
IF THIS FETA THREAD EVER GETS PUSHED OFF THE FIRST PAGE AGAIN IMMA GONNA RAAAAAAGE

FETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHH

NicRN77
07-05-2004, 08:44 PM

A local pizza place here called Alley Cat makes the best spinach and feta pizza. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! LOVE FETA!!

HEIRESS
07-05-2004, 08:59 PM
YEAHHHH FETAAAAAAAAAAAA

NicRN77
07-05-2004, 09:02 PM
WOO HOO! FETA! (y)

cedric
07-19-2004, 11:32 AM
here´s a real easy classic one

feta
+
tomatoes
+
(a few)oignons
+
vinaigrette

b-grrrlie
07-19-2004, 07:40 PM
here´s a real easy classic one

feta
+
tomatoes
+
(a few)oignons
+
vinaigrette

add some olives and lettuce and you're there!

paulk
07-20-2004, 11:07 AM
The best thing to do with it is take a store-bought pita bread, brush it with olive oil, bake for a few minutes at I guess 350 or 375 deg. F, then cover it with a layer of feta, then some chopped tomatoes, and some fresh chiffonaded basil. Then put that back in the oven for i think about ten minutes (until the stuff on top is heated up). Easy and highly luscious.

jabumbo
07-22-2004, 09:16 AM
too keep up with me responding is pretty much every thread on this forum... :eek:

my favorite way to eat feta is over pasta...

take your bowl of pasta, add to the top some cut up feta and crushed red pepper. for an added kick, add a few green olives (the greek spicy ones are the best!). and drizzle some oil over the top.

it is to die for!

i also like it on my pizza with slices of tomato and some hot sauce

i wish feta wasnt so expensive here, because that will scare me away from getting any when im at school