PDA

View Full Version : Pitchfork Check it out

Monk
05-17-2004, 06:28 AM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/wearetheworld/04-05-17.shtml
Check it out review. :(

JimmyC
05-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Why are you sad? It doesnt say anything that isnt true.

Monk
05-17-2004, 06:37 AM
That Klingon line isn't in the Album version is it?

madizm
05-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Well first of all it's been 6 years cause HN came out in 98 not 99 so this guy loses all credability right there ... and that's in his first line.

The beastie's have weak rhymes??? Why? Cause they're not rapping about their 'bling bling' and biatchs with above average sized booties??? His comment about their rhymes having no meaning is totally retarded ... doesn't he get it? That's what has made the boys so appealing ... their songs are just plain FUN and don't always have to convey a message ... maybe he'll shut his yap when he here's the 5 political songs on the new album ... loser.

Tzar
05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Well first of all it's been 6 years cause HN came out in 98 not 99 so this guy loses all credability right there ... and that's in his first line.

The beastie's have weak rhymes??? Why? Cause they're not rapping about their 'bling bling' and biatchs with above average sized booties??? His comment about their rhymes having no meaning is totally retarded ... doesn't he get it? That's what has made the boys so appealing ... their songs are just plain FUN and don't always have to convey a message ... maybe he'll shut his yap when he here's the 5 political songs on the new album ... loser.
too true
who ever wrote that review is the shit out of my dogs ass.

Auton
05-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Hahaha Pitchfork Media sucks anyway. They're just pretentious indy fanboys. They only like obscure rock bands, and if something goes Platinum, well, it must suck. Somethingawful.com had a really good parody of the site awhile back, but I can't find it anymore.

Michelle*s_Farm
05-17-2004, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Auton]Hahaha Pitchfork Media sucks anyway. They're just pretentious indy fanboys. They only like obscure rock bands, and if something goes Platinum, well, it must suck. [QUOTE]

Well, I suppose it would be nice if the above was true. However, how do explain the following top ratings by PitchforkMedia staffers given to these non-indie artists (see list below)? Regardless, I know what you are sayin'. Pitchfork can be a piss-off (especially when they gave Sonic Youth's "NYC Ghosts & Flowers" a ZERO a couple of years back!). At least Pitchfork is not afraid to criticize or endorse who they perceive to be the best.

Beastie Boys Hello Nasty! [Grand Royal/Capitol] Rating = 8.5/10
Outkast Speakerboxxx/The Love Below [Arista] Rating = 8.0/10
Eminem The Eminem Show [Interscope] Rating = 9.1/10
Jay-Z The Black Album [Rocafella] Rating = 8.0/10
Kanye West The College Dropout [Rocafella] Rating: 8.2/10
Cee-Lo Cee-Lo Green Is the Soul Machine [Arista] Rating: 8.3/10

Auton
05-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I suppose you're right about the mainstream artist thing. I still wouldn't trust 'em though...

Michelle*s_Farm
05-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I suppose you're right about the mainstream artist thing. I still wouldn't trust 'em though...

Yup, although I agree with Pitchfork around 50-70 percent of the time, I have a feeling that their tastes and mine are beginning to diverge when it comes to the Beasties (and perhaps Hip Hop in general). Pitchfork appears to have a rudimentary understanding of Beastie Boys history. Even more surprising is how the reviewers neglect to mention that the boys have influenced today’s important artists. A good review would discuss this. In particular how the Beasties have influenced contemporary music differently depending upon which album was the source of inspiration for the artist being influenced. Pitchfork needs to conduct thorough research before writing a review of the new album. Although I suspect they are too lazy to accomplish this act of much-needed scholarship.

QuintoMondo
05-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I'd say he (the guy from Pitchfork Media) has his points which aren't untrue. But clearly "Ch-Check It Out" is supposed to be minimal, if meant to be reminiscing of 80s hip-hop. And MCAs decision to keep his rhymes on this track kinda offbeat is completely artistic, not because he can't rhyme (although he's "not known for his speed raps", but check out A Year And A Day). Chuck D changed his rhyme style just recently as well. It might be a little strange for the ears, but it is not unacceptable. Common for example almost never rhymes on the beat.

Mike D's giggles are clearly a great moment in B-Boy history. By the way, Nelly Furtado laughs on her new album, too.

gratitude
05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
yeah, laughing is good in songs if it's not fake. i.e. janet jackson

solid_servo
05-17-2004, 04:41 PM
i swear that once pitchfork gets something in their head that says the artist or band sucks or is going down the tubes, nothing can change that. about a month ago they did an article blasting the b-boys politics and pretty much claims that they fell off, after hearing ch-check it out they can't do a 180, so they have to continue pushing the falseness of the b-boys falling off. very rarely do they say something negative about somebody in the news section, then praise them on an album review afterwards.

just something i've noticed reading this elitist site written by english major dropouts.