PDA

View Full Version : Are older threads gone?

Marlene
05-17-2004, 04:22 PM
I was looking for an older thread in the Political forum and can't find it. There are only two pages of threads. I tried doing a search based on key words and even names of posters who wrote in the thread and received back an error page.

Are all the "historical" threads gone? If so, that would be too bad. :(

Rich Cheney
05-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Marlene,

A thread can disappear if a creator deletes his original posting, hence deleting the entire thread.

Dick

Marlene
05-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I was the originator and I didn't delete the thread. When I try to do a search on the key words for the thread I get bumped to the advance search page and then when I just do a search for all posts by me I recieve an IE "The page cannot be displayed" page. ???

The Political Forum only has two pages worth of threads. Where are the rest?

I also get the above "The page...." after I submit a post.

Auton
05-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Is the thread more than a month old? On the bottom of the page it says 'show all threads from the last month' and if you click on it, you can change it to like 'last 6 months' and stuff like that, and it will probably show your thread.

minton
05-17-2004, 11:39 PM
The search isn't indexing anything prior to the new BBS installation - so pretty much anything prior to April 29th 2004. Up to a point, the thread will still be there somewhere.

Marlene
05-18-2004, 02:16 PM
" 'show all threads from the last month' and if you click on it, you can change it to like 'last 6 months' and stuff like that, and it will probably show your thread. "

oh, okay. doh! i guess the new layout is confusing me? excuses excuses...

thanks auton and minton!

kll
05-21-2004, 02:34 PM
I noticed though that it only shows our last 500 posts... no way to look into older posts???

BeastieBoys.com
05-21-2004, 06:31 PM
To keep the board running smooth we will be pruning old posts that haven't had any action for several months...

kll
05-21-2004, 06:58 PM
haha. you said pruning....

but, you're a bot, so you won't understand why i think that's funny...

Marlene
05-23-2004, 08:28 PM
maybe just maybe the political forum could avoid the pruning? i see people link back to much older discussions and they quite often still retain their original relevancy.

minton
05-24-2004, 05:26 AM
maybe just maybe the political forum could avoid the pruning? i see people link back to much older discussions and they quite often still retain their original relevancy.

I suppose that's a possibility. It's messy. But maybe doable.

BeastieBoys.com
05-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I suppose that's a possibility. It's messy. But maybe doable.

It's a simple matter of space available and database speed. I can see keeping bboys related discussion around a little longer, but off-topic stuff like politics, cooking, etc is going to be the first to get the axe.

KingPsyz
05-24-2004, 12:23 PM
considering most of the so called beasties discussion is trite stuff like i heard mike d was wearing purple chucks outside of a blimpies in manhattan, i'd rather see that tossed before inisghtful political debate. the band had to want those forums there in the first place.
at worst anyone feel free to cary over old political discussions over on my boards

minton
05-24-2004, 03:51 PM
It's a simple matter of space available and database speed. I can see keeping bboys related discussion around a little longer, but off-topic stuff like politics, cooking, etc is going to be the first to get the axe.

That's probably best, yeah.

minton
05-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Stand up for yourself. Be your own man.

Nah, we're all friends here at BeastieBoys.com. I agree with the policy on second thoughts.

King of Rock II
05-25-2004, 02:35 AM
That's probably best, yeah.

what a gay bunch of gays.

why would you wanna keep the old beastie boys topics? it's not like anyone's going to dig them up, people just start the same thread again and again like they've always done for the past couple of years (what's your favorite album etc)

keep the beastie free topics a little longer.