PDA

View Full Version : Help

Burnout18
05-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I want to start remixing, what software should i buy, i have turntables but they're old and it seems everyone else uses computers now.

Thanks

landos_dad
05-17-2004, 05:35 PM
I seriously recommend at having a try at using FL Studio.
The program is massive. For me, as a programmer I have found nothing else yet that comes close. Programming midi, automation and routing effects through it's 64 channel mixer is a piece of piss (with practice of course).
For it's price, it is a steal. This application is way under priced and I think the developers are realizing it too as they have just whacked up the price for one of it's plugins.
There are a few other apps in that price range like Reason or maybe Acid. Reason is great also, but I found it limited in respect to plugin effects and instruments on offer. Acid? well apart from maybe the pitch shifting looping... there's nothing else I can get from it.

Of course, I am talking about a completely computerized setup here, but without spending an absolute fortune, you can great pro sounding music with minimal equipment like a computer and a music creation tool like FL Studio.

Checkout FL Studio.com (http://www.flstudio.com)

Burnout18
05-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Nice, thanks a lot man, ill look into it.

scuba_suit
05-17-2004, 07:13 PM
gotta laptop or pc? fuck all that nonsense, download pro-tools 5 (it's free from the digidesign website but gotta have win98) to start, me, i have that and cool edit pro (yeah i know, it's a wave editor, but i don't care...) and i've done a couple of albums on it, in fact here's the link to my latest, i'd like to get some feedback on it:
scuba_suit: music to chop your chicken to (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scubasuit)
soon (i hope real soon) album and tracks will be digital and available on itunes, napster, emusic, rhapsody, and a bunch of others and will be sold at 99¢ a track or $10 for the whole album (it's available at cdbaby.com), and yes goddammit, i want to make money off you.

landos_dad
05-17-2004, 07:21 PM
fuck all that nonsense

I take it you meant my advice?

Well I have produced music for games, film and other stuff with using what I use. At the end of the day. It's the ideas.... these are tools that make it possilbe to project them. Just trying to help. ;)

scuba_suit
05-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I take it you meant my advice?

Well I have produced music for games, film and other stuff with using what I use. At the end of the day. It's the ideas.... these are tools that make it possilbe to project them. Just trying to help. ;)

no no landos_dad (badass avatar by the way), whatever you can get your handds on to start, ya know? some people save their pennies up for an mpc2000xl and then what? if it's all about equipment, then do you, but me personally, i'd rather use my computer, because 1) i'm a nerd and 2) i'm a nerd, no serious, i guess for me i like to be the surgeon on the actual soundwaves and with my programs i can do that, but hey, to each their own, not one is better than another, if the end product is bangin, then, IT'S BANGIN.

landos_dad
05-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Cool.
I use Pro Tools for audio sequencing and manipulation, tis great in that department. Only gripe with it really is Free version only allows 8 tracks :( Oh and I found the key editor a bit fidley. Nice mixer tho. :)

scuba_suit
05-17-2004, 07:50 PM
yeah, i know what you mean about the 8 tracks, i just make a track using all 8 tracks mix it down then use that track with 7 tracks open, ping pong style, like the good ol' 4-track cassette days...

landos_dad
05-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Listened to a couple of your tracks.... sweet man ;) 1st one reminded me of MixMaster Mike

scuba_suit
05-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Listened to a couple of your tracks.... sweet man ;) 1st one reminded me of MixMaster Mike

yo thanks man, just doin my thing, or more like music that i'd like to hear, i'm checkin out your stuff over at hoolak.com, good stuff man, yeah mixmaster mike is definitely one of my influences, i got his albums (pre-beasties) and they got some wild concepts and beats to them, as for me, i got my album done, now what i'm tryin to do is get some mc's on it and re-release with the vocals, hell, i just got an idea, i should find some people to do some remixes on it, hmmmm, that might work, in the meantime i'm workin on another album, it's gonna be an ep 5 tracks, one track is done and i got two others in the works, ha! i hate it when my brain is brimming with ideas, dammit i tell you, i need sleep....