PDA

View Full Version : Remix Contest

Uru-Nitro
05-19-2004, 07:06 AM
I've thinking it would be nice to do a little contest.
It would be only of Ch-check it out or open to any beasties' song.
1 -the first step could be a thread where put the links to all the mixes.
2 -then minton, tpk, beastieboys.com or some "impartial team" could select like 3, 5 or some remixes to enter the final.
3 -Mr. Yauch (any beastie is welcome) could waste 15 minutes of his life listening that mixes and choose the winner/s (in the case).

I'm not talking about a "serious" contest with prizes and things like that (however a t-shirt for the winner won't ruin the beastie boys :D ) just a little
event to have a good time.

what'cha think?

landos_dad
05-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Would be cool. I'm up for it.
Yeea-yeah.

Nygel
05-19-2004, 02:51 PM
sounds good. though a deadline could ruin it. and the baord members should vote for it. ...... now for the unrealistic part, put it on an upcoming ch-check it out single. of course that is only if their is alot of singles.

either way. im in. we need a few little remix contests here and there.

landos_dad
05-19-2004, 03:02 PM
I see what you mean saying a deadline could result in rushed jobs, but it wouldn't be much of a contest without one.
I agree that a remix can take from a day to a lifetime to produce, although a competition can't go on forever :) <old man voice>I want to be buried with my prize T-shirt if I win</old man voice> :D

Nygel
05-19-2004, 03:13 PM
i just mean don't make us have it done in five days. give like a week or two. i've been working on mine for about a week and i won't put it out until i know if this is gonna happen. its my best work (big accomplishment) its pretty cool. its not repetitive at all. the 'prize' if their is one will take a while to get to wherever its going though (if uru or taco win.....long way away)
which with the way things go around here. taco and uru will be very likely candidates. and funky49......what happened to you? hope to hear from him again.

funky49
05-19-2004, 04:57 PM
funky49......what happened to you? hope to hear from him again.

Thanks for thinking of me! I would like to offer my services of the "Technical Judge". Maybe two other people can step forward for "Creative Judge" and "Keeping it Real Judge".

If its up to the board to vote on the best remix, I think the submissions should be secret so people are only voting on the music and not the remixer.

landos_dad
05-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I think the submissions should be secret so people are only voting on the music and not the remixer.

But what about the people who have already produced remixes?

funky49
05-20-2004, 06:34 AM
But what about the people who have already produced remixes?

Good point! Is a month after TT5B is released enough time for people to get their remixes in?

I'll donate a "bullshit mic that's made out of plastic" microphone (featuring 1/4" jack!) to the winner!

landos_dad
05-20-2004, 06:40 AM
haha, that mic would be great!

So does this mean I gotta make another remix if this competition went out?
I mean, I already did three versions of it...dunno if I've got another in me. Plus I feel my Electric-Endor mix is quite sufficient and would be a shame for it to sit on the shelf in this. Anyway...

Uru-Nitro
05-20-2004, 07:46 AM
i just mean don't make us have it done in five days. give like a week or two..
lol, I was thinking in more than a month...

Uru-Nitro
05-20-2004, 07:48 AM
now for the unrealistic part, put it on an upcoming ch-check it out single..
it's kinda impossible, because most of the remixes will contain samples. and the beasties won't pay for them.... or yes?

landos_dad
05-20-2004, 08:07 AM
it's kinda impossible, because most of the remixes will contain samples. and the beasties won't pay for them.... or yes?

This is one reason why I compose/program my remixes note for note with soft synths. Plus it makes for more original sounding pieces.

Still, would be good to go on a big sampling all out assualt :D

Uru-Nitro
05-20-2004, 08:11 AM
This is one reason why I compose/program my remixes note for note with soft synths. Plus it makes for more original sounding pieces.
i can make a full-originall mix, but most people here doesn't have the hardware/sofware/intruments needed to do it, and I think this should be like a: "hey, listen this shit I did for the constest". I this goes seriously a lot of proffesional djs would entry...

landos_dad
05-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Sorry mate. I didnt doubt anybody here could make an original version, I was just pointing out a way around using samples which would be needed to be cleared if (and that's a big "if") a fan remix was to be used on a single.
and sorry I did not understand your last sentence.

jimmyjrg
05-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks for thinking of me! I would like to offer my services of the "Technical Judge". Maybe two other people can step forward for "Creative Judge" and "Keeping it Real Judge".

If its up to the board to vote on the best remix, I think the submissions should be secret so people are only voting on the music and not the remixer.
I'll Judge, I don't see myself haveing enough time to make a remix :P

funky49
05-20-2004, 09:21 AM
I'll Judge, I don't see myself haveing enough time to make a remix :P

You gotta come up with a prize too, foo!

nobbus
05-20-2004, 07:23 PM
who cares about the slim possibility of getting on a single? just sample like crazy.

Uru-Nitro
05-21-2004, 02:32 AM
my english really sucks
I this goes seriously a lot of proffesional djs would entry...
I wanna say that if the contest isn't a game and turns too serious a lot of professional djs would enter in the contest to have a song in the single.
I think this should be a thing for beaties fans

landos_dad
05-21-2004, 03:25 AM
my english really sucks

I wanna say that if the contest isn't a game and turns too serious a lot of professional djs would enter in the contest to have a song in the single.
I think this should be a thing for beaties fans

No problem mate. Well if a competition does arise, then I will keep it to myself. I am a big Beastie fan and have been since the dawn of LTI. I ain't no professional DJ, but I have been producing my own music for several years and would love to enter such a competition if it should arise :o

Uru-Nitro
05-21-2004, 07:45 AM
No problem mate. Well if a competition does arise, then I will keep it to myself. I am a big Beastie fan and have been since the dawn of LTI. I ain't no professional DJ, but I have been producing my own music for several years and would love to enter such a competition if it should arise :o
I wasn't talking about you. I think is very cool that you make your own music, and I'm sure it would be nice to do a dj battle (friendly) in the contest.
but if the prize is put the remix in some single even Fatboy Slim will enter.
do you know what I mean? I'm not saying you can't enter in the game. I think I have expressed myself badly. I'd like very much to see you in the contest.

landos_dad
05-21-2004, 07:47 AM
I wasn't talking about you. I think is very cool that you make your own music, and I'm sure it would be nice to do a dj battle (friendly) in the contest.
but if the prize is put the remix in some single even Fatboy Slim will enter.
do you know what I mean? I'm not saying you can't enter in the game. I think I have expressed myself badly. I'd like very much to see you in the contest.

I get you. :)
A DJ Battle?!? I couldn't jockey a disc even if it had a saddle! :D
Props ;)

MarkedCube
05-21-2004, 08:53 AM
If this was a professional contest it would be on the homepage or Minton would start another sticky in this board. But its not, a fan have started this contest so it'll be for the fans, do whatever you want with it, samples or not. If they're going to release a remix lp/ep they would tell us ahead of time with all the rules and details. So start remixing, oh wait, I need to catch up, there are so many new remixes to download since my last visit.

Nygel
05-21-2004, 03:19 PM
wow, my suggestion went a bit out of hand. i sample the boys themselves. so no problem for me. a bullshit mic would rock. and lets keep this contest between the board. if it isn't mentioned on the homepage then noone will care, it'd just be us. its not unrealistic to have the a few of our mixes on a single. if you weren't here long enough, Yauch wanted to here more fan remixes..... my fingers are tired now.

jimmyjrg
05-24-2004, 05:08 AM
You gotta come up with a prize too, foo!
Sure, I'll put in something Australian.

merlin79
05-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Check my remix out. The very good quality version:

http://home.arcor.de/merlin79/ch-check-it-out-rmx-merlin.mp3

the good quality version:

http://home.arcor.de/merlin79/checkitoutrmxmerlinsmall.mp3

Nygel
06-02-2004, 12:40 PM
well......think this can get started anytime soon?

plasmid
06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi - Plasmid here
Loved the remixes by Merlin79 and Landos Dad.

We've done a remix of Hold it now - Hit it, but have nowhere to host it.
If you want us to email it to you, drop us a line.

jimmyjrg
06-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Information for the $5 Extra competiton will be released soon. (y)

funky49
06-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Information for the $5 Extra competiton will be released soon. (y)

B U M P up your nose, recognize the flows
switchin' from the lyrical - to the tight prose

nobbus
06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
for the format of the contest...

how about just start a thread and invite people to reply with their favourite remix that has been posted here.

funky49
06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
for the format of the contest...

how about just start a thread and invite people to reply with their favourite remix that has been posted here.

If we're giving out fabulous prizes, I think we should determine who the winners are. Plus its good publicity for Jimmy's $5 Extra e-zine!

jimmyjrg
06-09-2004, 08:33 PM
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=268503

You're all like WOAH!

nobbus
06-10-2004, 02:28 AM
If we're giving out fabulous prizes, I think we should determine who the winners are. Plus its good publicity for Jimmy's $5 Extra e-zine!
yes. disregard my post. youve got it sorted now.

Eselgeist
06-24-2004, 09:13 PM
can some kind soul point me to / send me the Ch-Check it Out acapella?

thanks deuce :D