PDA

View Full Version : 26.05.2004 - NME

Parkey
05-26-2004, 02:41 PM
There's a review of the ICA show and the single gets record of the week. Although the ICA review is very positive the actual review is shit with the writer going on about their age and suggesting MMM could achieve the same sound by falling on his decks. Wanker.
As I haven't got a scanner that works I'll transcribe the single review;

Beastie Boys - Ch-Check It Out - Single Of The Week
Do they still spit on cripples? And what the fuck has MCA been doing to himself? He sounds destroyed, like he's spent the last 6 years culred up in a piss-stinking alleyway smoking tarmac through a hole in his throat. While Ad Rock and Mike D squawk away in their remarkably persistent yappy, slappable white trash voices, the real magic occurs when Yauch the grough lumbers in like a bad-wine ravaged Jake La Motta, all ill-coordinated badass attitude and vagrant growl. Wasn't he supposed to be the boring Buddist one?

The new Beasties album is pegged to show the trio acting their age for once. Thoughtful, polictical, paens to New York, blad de blah de blah, but you'd never guess it from this broken-brained howl of retarded joy. Riding a super-heavy breakdance bounce that'll provide knee-knocking good times from the jump off, the whole thing is a call to party that's an arm wave away from being utterly, gorgeously irresistble.

As for the "new maturity", well, there's not a whole heap in the rhymes either. Kicking off with references to Klingons and needle nose pliers (obviously, why no mention before?), the superannuated trio wheedle gloriously onto Miss Piggy via the tragically hilarious Rappin' Duke.

The subtext is simple: "It's us again. It's time to party. Who the fuck were those scruffy Welsh berks in the cheap sportswear again?"

Listen and learn, Goldie Lookin' Chain. If you manage to sound this crazed, cool and buzzing with lunatic energy in 20 years time, then I for one will be enormously pleased as I'll be nuts deep in a small fortune from the odds of a bunch of geeky white boys transforming themselves from comedy idiots to genre trashing trailblazers twice in one lifetime. Current price; 25,000-1. The g-guvnors are b-back, d-dammit!

Parkey
05-26-2004, 05:41 PM
bump...

Jiberish
05-27-2004, 06:54 AM
ehh.......?

Parkey
05-27-2004, 06:55 AM
ehh.......?
:confused:

cj hood
05-27-2004, 07:35 AM
There's a review of the ICA show and the single gets record of the week. Although the ICA review is very positive the actual review is shit with the writer going on about their age and suggesting MMM could achieve the same sound by falling on his decks. Wanker.
As I haven't got a scanner that works I'll transcribe the single review;

Beastie Boys - Ch-Check It Out - Single Of The Week
Do they still spit on cripples? And what the fuck has MCA been doing to himself? He sounds destroyed, like he's spent the last 6 years culred up in a piss-stinking alleyway smoking tarmac through a hole in his throat. While Ad Rock and Mike D squawk away in their remarkably persistent yappy, slappable white trash voices, the real magic occurs when Yauch the grough lumbers in like a bad-wine ravaged Jake La Motta, all ill-coordinated badass attitude and vagrant growl. Wasn't he supposed to be the boring Buddist one?

The new Beasties album is pegged to show the trio acting their age for once. Thoughtful, polictical, paens to New York, blad de blah de blah, but you'd never guess it from this broken-brained howl of retarded joy. Riding a super-heavy breakdance bounce that'll provide knee-knocking good times from the jump off, the whole thing is a call to party that's an arm wave away from being utterly, gorgeously irresistble.

As for the "new maturity", well, there's not a whole heap in the rhymes either. Kicking off with references to Klingons and needle nose pliers (obviously, why no mention before?), the superannuated trio wheedle gloriously onto Miss Piggy via the tragically hilarious Rappin' Duke.

The subtext is simple: "It's us again. It's time to party. Who the fuck were those scruffy Welsh berks in the cheap sportswear again?"

Listen and learn, Goldie Lookin' Chain. If you manage to sound this crazed, cool and buzzing with lunatic energy in 20 years time, then I for one will be enormously pleased as I'll be nuts deep in a small fortune from the odds of a bunch of geeky white boys transforming themselves from comedy idiots to genre trashing trailblazers twice in one lifetime. Current price; 25,000-1. The g-guvnors are b-back, d-dammit!

i understood the german review more than this one.........just spit it out son.......no need to dazzle us with your junior college education.......

laura
05-27-2004, 07:46 AM
i understood the german review more than this one..........
(y) (y) (y)
great!!!!!!

Parkey
05-27-2004, 07:59 AM
i understood the german review more than this one.........just spit it out son.......no need to dazzle us with your junior college education.......
I think the ghost of Lester Bangs is still haunting the NME

roosta
05-27-2004, 08:26 AM
just spit it out son.......no need to dazzle us with your junior college education.......

:D (y) LOL

ZombLe
06-15-2004, 02:26 PM
O! Clarts, you fuckin safe or wah? listen, i'm from the fucking official forum of the GLC. were giving away free fucking tickits to their next gig in london for free!, all you have to do is sign up to our forum. no fuckin strings. only safeness. Plus, if your one of the first 15 people to sign up, you get free tickets innit. the comp starts at 21:30 tonight and ends midday tomorrow. plus even if your too late to get the tickets, your still in for a chance to get free official GLC merchandise. safety.

WWW.GLCFORUM.COM

b-grrrlie
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
http://medlem.spray.se/twohart/hpbimg/live040529.jpg
http://medlem.spray.se/twohart/hpbimg/single040529.jpg

dave790
06-26-2004, 11:39 AM
thanks very much for the scan, very good job (y)

adrock looks wicked wit the hat in the single pic

King Schmaltz
06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
what Welsh guys are they talking about?!!

b-grrrlie
07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
The scans dissappeared so here they are again!

NME May 29th 2004
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4986/live040529.jpg
http://img10.exs.cx/img10/1179/single040529.jpg