PDA

View Full Version : Fried Rice Question

The_PancakeKing
05-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I don't mean to sound stupid but can I make decent tasting fried rice by just throwing some white rice in a frying pan with some oil and an egg and peas and carrots and whatever? I guess it wouldn't be that expensive to just try it, but I'd like to know anyway. Thanks.

ms.peachy
05-29-2004, 04:36 PM
yes, you certainly can! In fact this is one the best things you can do with leftover rice, aside from make rice pudding.

If you've got a wok that works best, but if you don't just use a good-size heavy bottomed frying pan (a cast iron one is great). Heat the oil and cook a little bit of onion and garlic. Cook these over a low heat for a 5 minutes (until the onions go clear and soft) and then chuck in the other veg. (Personally I find it all works better if I steam or blanch the other veg a bit first, but you can work from raw. And of course you can even buy packs of frozen 'stir fry veg' in the supermarket these days.)

If you want to use egg, throw in the egg once th other veggies are cooked through and cook as though you were making scrambled eggs. In other words, just keep shuffling the liquidy bits around the pan until cooked. Then toss in the cooked rice. Season with a bit of soy sauce and stir till heated through.

flyingfox
05-30-2004, 05:25 AM
add some soy sauce. (y)

Hypestyle
06-01-2004, 06:19 PM
gah.. no egg for me, i'm allergic..

brooklyn_bred
06-22-2004, 02:47 AM
ghetto chinese pork fried rice and chicken wings always works for me.....

keep it gully

jabumbo
06-22-2004, 11:32 AM
sounds great...ive been wanting to try and make my own fried rice ever since i went to benihana and he did it right there in front of us...

you and your recipies rock ms peachy! i love them all! keep them comin

FuzzyBeastie
06-25-2004, 01:15 AM
oh, you gotta have it with some shrimp or bacon in it as well, with those green onions, rather than the white ones. so good you'll piss your pants.

nobbus
06-25-2004, 09:18 AM
youve got to put a cup of (uncooked) rice in a saucepan with a tablespoon of butter and fry until brown.

then add stock & water. simmer.

fry vegetables seperately. add them.

if youre working from cooked rice I cant help you.

pipadeejr
08-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Try some cilantro in addition to the green onions, you can't go wrong.

Jasonik
08-19-2004, 06:23 PM
In order for the rice to work it has to be cooled, preferably overnight. If it's warm, or worse, hot and fresh, it WILL stick and soak up mad oil....yukk.

Otherwise the nobbus trick works. This pre-fried rice doesn't seem to stick together due to the oil coating and can be thrown back in the wok with the vwggies/egg etc.

JBernas
08-20-2004, 11:57 AM
try using sesame oil instead of regular (you can find it at the grocery store)....adds a whole new layer of flavor...tastes more like take out! (y)