PDA

View Full Version : Stymied by food allergies?

Hypestyle
06-01-2004, 06:27 PM
my allergies:

eggs (i don't dare try substitutes; if they taste "like" eggs, then...)

tree nuts (almonds, walnuts, macademias, cashews, pistachios, coconut, etc.; everything except peanuts, which technically are legumes..) at least i get to enjoy peanut butter..

99% of fish (except, for whatever reason, pollock.. even then, i tend to only eat the frozen sticks/filets; i don't try eating fish at restaurants at all...); i can't even stand to smell it cooking..

soy (including the milk & other derivatives)

the mild allergies (eggs, soy) only make my tongue itch really badly, slightly aggravate my windpipe and give me monster cramps.. after which I have to recline in the restroom for a while..

the extreme allergies (fish, nuts) go even further, contracting my windpipe so severely i can't breathe..

the allergy extends to any recipe that involves any of the above.. which by and large make most pastries and baked goods off-limits for me..

alas, i've never been able to enjoy birthday cake, twinkies, or ho-ho's without having to throw up..

by default, I usually enjoy a slice of pie for my birthday (making sure that no eggs were used in the crust)..

Mr. Boomin'Granny
06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
that must suck, sorry man.

i can't have any fiber or anything raw, except sushi.

no nuts either, but i dont like them anyways

no raw veggies or fruits either! woo!

hello carb city! :cool:

cosmo105
06-01-2004, 11:09 PM
i went vegan because dairy screws up my skin like crazy. i get these bumps on my arms and i break out like whoa. it's been rough, but i've been cow-free for about 2 months now, and my skin has never been happier.

food allergies do indeed suck. i work with a lot of people that have wheat and/or gluten allergies, and man, do they have it rough.

ms.peachy
06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/pubs/bibs/gen/allergy.htm

There is actually, surprisingly enough, a fair amount of information out there in the world for people with food allerfies and intolerances. The main problem though is that the supermarket world isn't really very helpful in terms of options. They create an illusion of choice, but really it's all the same damn stuff in different packages.

The actor Terence Stamp has a lot of food allergies and he has created his own range of foods for the UK market. I know that doesn't help folks in the US but you might be able to get ahold of his cookbook over there; I find it a rather good one.

edited to add: Ener-G is a good, established company that makes quality foods for people with various allergies and intolerances. I know you said you don't like egg substitutes Hype but in this case the Egg Replacer product is not there to 'taste' like egg or even have the texture - it is to provide the neccessary "binding" action that eggs normally would in the baking process and it works a treat! http://www.ener-g.com/

cosmo105
06-02-2004, 12:58 PM
we sell ener-g!
kinnickinnick is a good brand too...as well as food for life, envirokids, and sooo many others.

Marlene
06-04-2004, 11:36 PM
you can make cake, cookies, anything without eggs. sometimes it's too much trouble for me to haul out the ener-g egg replacer when i'm baking and the recipe only calls for one egg...i just use liquid instead and i've never had a problem with stuff not turning out correctly. some vegan baking recipes don't even call for an egg replacer.

some people have success soaking tree nuts in water before consuming them and don't have an allergic response. my SO ate a raw food dish with walnuts which were soaked and he was fine...he is allergic to tree nuts like you as well as fruit...he could stop breathing if he eats a banana, but banana bread evokes no response. are you okay with tree nuts as long as they are baked or cooked? he also has a mild reaction to soy milk sometimes, but only when it's consumed fresh like on cereal, if we bake or cook with it he is fine. he's vegan, too and uses rice milk on his cereal instead.

cosmo105
06-05-2004, 09:53 AM
vanilla enriched rice milk is my cereal liquid of choice. it's surprizingly good...it's like a non-cinnamon horchata. unflavored, though, is pretty nasty.

i've only ever used a liquid egg replacer. i don't bake as much as i used to...but when i do, i'll definitely try out the ener-g one.

Hypestyle
06-06-2004, 03:51 PM
you can make cake, cookies, anything without eggs. sometimes it's too much trouble for me to haul out the ener-g egg replacer when i'm baking and the recipe only calls for one egg...i just use liquid instead and i've never had a problem with stuff not turning out correctly. some vegan baking recipes don't even call for an egg replacer.

some people have success soaking tree nuts in water before consuming them and don't have an allergic response. my SO ate a raw food dish with walnuts which were soaked and he was fine...he is allergic to tree nuts like you as well as fruit...he could stop breathing if he eats a banana, but banana bread evokes no response. are you okay with tree nuts as long as they are baked or cooked? he also has a mild reaction to soy milk sometimes, but only when it's consumed fresh like on cereal, if we bake or cook with it he is fine. he's vegan, too and uses rice milk on his cereal instead.

howdy-- raw, baked, or cooked, I get the same response, unfortunately...

jambon
06-07-2004, 05:02 AM
i have a nut allergy. peanuts could kill me. other nuts i assume can hurt bad. all nuts are evil.. and nobody cares

ms.peachy
06-08-2004, 11:49 AM
i have a nut allergy. peanuts could kill me. other nuts i assume can hurt bad. all nuts are evil.. and nobody cares

Peanuts are not technically nuts. They are legumes, like beans and peas.

Scientists are at a loss to explain the relatively recent surge in reported peanut allergies.

You may also be allergic to nuts, but that would be unrelated really to your peanut allergy.

jambon
06-12-2004, 07:50 AM
woah really, thanks but it's easier for me to just say i'm allergic to nuts, even if the peanut isn't, most people including me didn't know of it not being a nut. i hope when ever i go out people won't still put peanuts in my food, that's just evil.