PDA

View Full Version : Jockey Slut

Parkey
06-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Theres some Beasties stuff in the new issue of Jockey Slut including a top 10 of everything the Beasties have ever contributed to the world!
The album review is pretty scathing though and only gets 4 out of 10 (n)

seurat
06-04-2004, 01:00 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, this album isn't up to the usual beastie standards, and perhaps, is their first subpar album. Though it lives up to their reputation lyrically for the most part, it lacks that creative flair that made every track on past albums seem like a symphonic bonanza of slammin' beats, eclectic rifs, unconventional instrumentals, and obscure references. I'm a diehard fan, but ever since the boys' work has become overtly political - since releasing "In a World Gone Mad" and now their current album - it seems their music has taken a hit in favor of delivering an ever growing avalanche of political barbs. I'm all for people sticking to their beliefs, but with nearly 6 years to mold and perfect this album, something is amiss, or merely a creative distraction. Nevertheless, the Beasties will always be my favorite group.

DJ_Skrilla
06-04-2004, 03:21 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, this album isn't up to the usual beastie standards, and perhaps, is their first subpar album. Though it lives up to their reputation lyrically for the most part, it lacks that creative flair that made every track on past albums seem like a symphonic bonanza of slammin' beats, eclectic rifs, unconventional instrumentals, and obscure references. I'm a diehard fan, but ever since the boys' work has become overtly political - since releasing "In a World Gone Mad" and now their current album - it seems their music has taken a hit in favor of delivering an ever growing avalanche of political barbs. I'm all for people sticking to their beliefs, but with nearly 6 years to mold and perfect this album, something is amiss, or merely a creative distraction. Nevertheless, the Beasties will always be my favorite group.

Um where'd you hear it there bud??

Are you judging it by the couple you have heard, or the fact that they laid down some political rhymes. They already said this one is STRAIGHT HipHOp, not an eclectic mix like some cds have been in the past...

pwp
06-04-2004, 08:12 AM
um, thats his opinion BUD. Beastie Boys are my favourite artist, but it's time to realise that not everything they touch will turn to gold. IAWGM revealed this. Hell, even HN wasn't up to the pre-set standards (if they ever existed). Accept that this album MIGHT just blow. I will forever be hoping for an album in the vein of PB/CYH/IC which, I think you will agree, was when Beastie Boys were least "creatively distracted".

seurat
06-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Exactly, and I couldn't agree more. I'm not saying the Beasties have to reinvent the wheel on every album. Honestly, some of the best known rappers today...eminem...50cent...jayz...can't touch the Beasties when it comes to creativity: infusing punk, rock, funk, jazz, even classical music into their work. Too many seem to be simply interchanging lyrics over regurgitated beats and samples. Paul's Boutique is the best rap album ever..though i hesitate to limit it with the "rap" label...Check Your Head showed not only could the Beasties thrive into the alternative 90's, but they were far ahead of it, and Ill Communication...though not nearly appreciated enough...was a thorough work which successfully proved the beasties style has no limits. And who can forget, Licensed to Ill, which was a watershed album that turned buffoonery and youthful mayhem into a rap/rock masterpiece that no cynic could deny. So when I say the Beastie Boys seem creatively distracted with some of their most recent productions, that they are not up to their usual standards, it's not a cheap shot at all, just an observation. And ever since they have become overtly political, I don't sense that same unpredictable, ingenious quality in their work. I have strong political views, but there is a time and place for all. Most people who became huge Beasties fans did so because of their talent, charisma, not because of their political agenda. If people want that, they'll attend a rally or watch c-span. I, more than anyone, want the Beasties to succeed so more and more people, especially younger fans who are ignorant of their work, can appreciate their greatness. Personally, I'd like to see a career ending masterpiece, one which took a slice from each previous one and then some. Something that was so musically diverse and loaded, it would take years to fully decipher. One with cameous from some of the greatest names and influences, new and old, alive and dead - Chuck D, Bad Brains, Dust Brothers, Hurricaine, Beatles, Run Dmc, Robert Plant, George Clinton, Rick Ruben, Naz, even Eminem, etc etc - that would all melt into a sublime collage of beats, rifs, samples, and personalities. I believe in the Beasties so much, I simply want them to maximize every ounce of their potential, not to settle for the tag "good".