PDA

View Full Version : Ethical issue

Michelle*s_Farm
06-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Not to be "holier than thou" because I make mistakes all the time. But did I just see a thread by a moderator that named three fans who won tickets to the Vegas show but were unable to show up (for whatever reason)?

This is inappropriate behavior and the moderator who made this mistake (albeit it a relatively speaking minor one) may wish to apologize for posting the names in that context. I know this board can be stressful (i.e., people breakin' rules, being rude, unappreciative of your excellent work etc.). However, please try to rise above that crap and do not lower yourself to violate your own ethical system. As another poster stated those three people who did win tickets but were not able to make it could have had quite legitimate reasons (e.g. car problems, family illness etc.). Regardless, it is not the winner's responsibility to find a replacement. An organized system could have been in place where the winner must show up 30 minutes before the show or risk having their ticket given away to a stand-by fan.

Just my thoughts. I do apologize if I am somehow mistaken or do not know all the facts. Perhaps a moderator did not post the winners names who were no-shows (i.e., maybe I misread the post which seems to have vanished or a hacker is pretending to be a moderator - unlikely I know).

marsdaddy
06-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Are you sure it's not a moral one?

Sheesh.

BeastieBoys.com
06-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Moral, ethical, whatever it was I did it, and yes things were put into place to notify winners, but honestly time cannot be taken to deal with cancellations and runners up. We're stretched thin right now, so please do not enter contests if you cannot absolutely go.

And I removed the thread, because I realized it was a bit harsh. But I want to make sure people keep in mind not to take up spots if they cannot go.

Michelle*s_Farm
06-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Moral, ethical, whatever it was I did it, and yes things were put into place to notify winners, but honestly time cannot be taken to deal with cancellations and runners up. We're stretched thin right now, so please do not enter contests if you cannot absolutely go.

And I removed the thread, because I realized it was a bit harsh. But I want to make sure people keep in mind not to take up spots if they cannot go.

That's fine. Thanks for clarifying. I understand you are stretched thin time-wise (and like I said we all make mistakes - props for removing the post). The only reason I responded was that it seemed unfair to the fans who won and could not make the event (i.e., to post their names and chastise them since they - or even one of them - may have had legitimate reasons for missing the show). Although I agree people who cannot make an event should take the responsibility to contact the appropriate people in charge of the contest. It's just not fair to others to not take the time to tell the contest organizers you cannot attend.

BeastieBoys.com
06-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey if any of the people who didn't make it wants to let us know they had legitimate reasons I'd appreciate it. It's just that none of those people even bothered to email us...

Even though we are swamped right now, we have put in place things for the NYC/MTV thing to make sure this doesn't happen again. Hopefully it will help.

Thanks -

ProfJIM
06-11-2004, 06:52 PM
its gotta be nice to be able to cover up your mistakes

wonder what thats like