PDA

View Full Version : Do you compose original parts or sample loops for your remix?

landos_dad
06-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Just curious to know how you work. I've noticed most remixes here are mash-ups.

I personally, compose original parts. Nothing against finding/digging for samples to loop, I just feel making original stuff to work along side the acappella is more rewarding than using other peoples work. Plus I find I have more control over my idea.

Uru-Nitro
06-12-2004, 06:49 PM
I like to compose my own music. however i use some samples and loops in almost all songs. And I've done some mash-ups

I like both ways

nobbus
06-12-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm usually too lazy to compose my own music.

there, I said it.

scuba_suit
06-12-2004, 09:05 PM
i build my shit from samples, well a majority of it, i'll take a loop chop it up and rearrange it taking out sections of it, or if i sample something i'll tweak it so it's unrecognizable, in a way i compose from samples...

Monsieur Decuts
06-12-2004, 11:35 PM
i track my own drums on de mpc and def dig for samples to plug in dere too den i sratch up de vinly chop chop until it all sounds edible

rirv
06-13-2004, 03:42 AM
Mine are entirely composed from samples. I find it very rewarding. None of mine could be called a "mash-up" as there are samples from lots of different songs in each one. I don't have any synths or drum machines to compose original parts either.

funky49
06-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Yes I compose with original parts and sample loops. Whatever fits the bill. My basslines come from my baby, the Korg MS2000!

Taco Zip
06-13-2004, 04:32 PM
I work with samples only, I don't have a keyboard or anything.

MarkedCube
06-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm going to try taking the original way first, if that doesn't work well I'll sample. I just think going orginal is a lot more safer and allow you to stand out. It takes time to look for samples and it also takes time finding good loops in your library, which ever way its pretty similar, you are still doing a remix.

discodistortion
06-14-2004, 12:52 AM
i figure with a remix, i'm already using someone else's work. i just kind of make a project out of it. it's fun to combine music that you'd think would never go together. but i managed to put coltrane, the b52s, and bjork into a beastie remix and make it cool. nothing against you folks writing your own parts, this is just my approach

landos_dad
06-14-2004, 03:27 AM
Hmm, interesting. Should there be a distinction between the remixes and mash-ups here? Let's face it, the majority, if not all Beastie Boys remixes are original compositions. Yes, some may contain samples, but not time stretched samples full bar loops (mash-ups).

Am I being controversial? Fair question, me thinks.

THUMP!
06-14-2004, 03:47 AM
yes please do catogarise a bit....
a mashup is something different from an actual remix i would say....

Annodo
06-14-2004, 04:14 AM
hi dad!!!
to your question,normally,i use samples,but not full bar,something like
rhodes or guitarr licks,skratches(f**k my vynil & tables to death) & stuff,but for real , hip-hop itselfs is made out of samples,so
this is really simple to cut full bar out of one not known record or even break
vynil,and use it, buit it requests more,as ''it sounds GooD'',''war allows all Weapons''
i think good remixers are rare,for me Fat Boy Slim is the best it all,''body movin rocks'',and style is awesome.
but for real,it is hard to produce songs on the base of synthesizer,sampler and drummaschine,it requests experience,and this kind of stuff is diffucult to get,
without any good teachers or producers.
hopefully, anyone will get a deal and get some''right'' input and share his experience with us =)

landos_dad
06-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi Annodo my son :D
I understand about not having access to the synth weapons etc. Although they are not expensive or as hard to get hold as some may think. I found heaven in purchasing FL Studio/Fruityloops - FL uses VST plugin technology, the amount of free VSTi software synthesizers available on the net is titanical. There are several other great applications that feature nice synths too at quite affordable price such as Reason and Project5.

I'm currently studying Music Technology, so if this Remix Club gets off the ground I would be more than happy to share some knowledge there. ;)

I believe all remixers here should help each other and help make the BBoy remix section here the daddy of Beastie Boys remix places on the net (or anywhere) :)

scuba_suit
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Yes I compose with original parts and sample loops. Whatever fits the bill. My basslines come from my baby, the Korg MS2000!

i like to create basskines by generating frequencies (30-40 Hz) and then gettin surgical on the actual soundwave with a soundwave editor...

landos_dad
06-16-2004, 02:13 AM
i like to create basskines by generating frequencies (30-40 Hz) and then gettin surgical on the actual soundwave with a soundwave editor...

:D Nice one. You can get some rawkus sounds messing around with the synthesis in apps suchs as soundforge.

bonez
06-16-2004, 03:34 AM
landos where are you studying music tech and at what level?

btw, nice website.

landos_dad
06-16-2004, 06:24 PM
thanks Bonez,
I'm currently wrapping up a National Award/Diplome in Music Technology (1 year) and then next year I will be doing a HND (2 years) in it too. Then if I can be bothered I will do another year for a degree. Hopefully I'll be big in Japan by then.... :o

bonez
06-17-2004, 01:51 AM
thanks Bonez,
I'm currently wrapping up a National Award/Diplome in Music Technology (1 year) and then next year I will be doing a HND (2 years) in it too. Then if I can be bothered I will do another year for a degree. Hopefully I'll be big in Japan by then.... :o

cool mate. i've done both of those courses and am just about to start the final year of my degree. good luck with Japan :D

Nick Jade
06-17-2004, 09:22 AM
I typically compose my own parts and sample drum hits from various hip-hop, funk, or 80's songs. Fruity Loops is a god sent.

Brother McDuff
06-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Although I haven't submitted any remixes, making beats is a hobby of mine. I commonly find a very simple sample, not anything distinguishable, and then work around that. I usually make the drum beats through my drum machine or reason, and occasionally sample a beat if it's too good to pass up. I'd like to record live drums more, but the set up takes too long and I'm impatient. I always lay down my own bass parts live with my fender precision bass because the funky shit necesitates some live bass playing (I think), and I use my keyboard a lot. I also throw down simple guitar parts at times, because I'm not particularly good at the guitty. A lot of the time I'll end up dropping the original loop I started with to keep the track orginal. I use it kind of as a reference to start my creative process. Often times I just shoot straight off the top of my head, though. That's where the rawest shit comes from, in anyone's case, I believe. The real innovative shit is more often than not the pure, un-interfered stream straight out of your head onto the beat.