PDA

View Full Version : New York Daily News Album Review (06/13/04)

dee_bee_76
06-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Ahem...not the greatest review you're gonna read, but here goes anyways:

Behind the times

Rap trio's new CD has passed its sell-by date

BEASTIE BOYS
"To the 5 Boroughs"
(Capitol)

There's a fine line between celebrating your roots and rehashing your past. The Beastie Boys - Mike Diamond, Adam Horovitz, Adam Yauch - fall on the wrong side of it on their latest CD, their first release in six long years.

So many elements of the album yearn for a time gone by - beginning with the cover drawing, which depicts a New York skyline with the twin towers gleamingly intact.

Musically, too, the CD looks back in ardor. It's a return to the electro-charged hip hop of rap's first commercial era. But the Beasties Boys' approach is so literal-minded, the 12 tracks all seem like variations on Afrika Bambaata's groundbreaking 1982 smash, "Planet Rock."

That can still make for some great party tracks, with grooves worth moving to. For a club record, this has its merits. But there's no escaping the fact that "5 Boroughs" is the least ambitious album of the Beastie Boys' career.

The trio's five previous releases each made significant advances, from the punk-hip hop of 1986's "Licensed to Ill" and the psychedelic rap of 1989's "Paul's Boutique" to the jazzy hard-core adventures of 1992's "Check Your Head" and 1994's "Ill Communication."

The group added lots of new instruments on its last CD, 1998's "Hello Nasty," and sampled from music as wide-ranging as classical (Rachmaninoff) and Latin (Tito Puente). They even sang for the first time.

NO VARIETY

This time we get one uniform sound, with no references to hardcore rap, Latin jazz or rock. It's all about needling synths, booming bass lines and a cracking beat. It works best on the opening cut, the single "Ch-Check It Out," and on the final slamming groove of "We Got The." But the sameness of the sound drags things down in the middle.

The only twist is a change in Yauch's voice; he has a new rasp that makes him sound like Redd Foxx with a strep throat.

The intriguing change can't hide the fact that the trio's rapping references date them badly. Much of their verbiage seems like something out of a "Nick at Nite" trivia contest, with allusions to everything from "Get Smart's" cone of silence to "Diff'rent Strokes'" catchphrase "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?"

No one younger than 35 will have any idea what they're talking about.

In its more earnest moments, the group protests President Bush and decries America's current role in the world. It manages to do this with a certain wit and flair. But the most sincere piece - a post-9/11 "Open Letter to N.Y.C." - seems generic and redundant coming from these lifelong locals.

For more than a decade, the Beasties found their own way to develop the bratty characters they began with. But now nearing 40, they've lost their will to forge ahead. They're settling on fighting for the right to party rather than on the grander battle they could easily wage.

CookieorPussy
06-13-2004, 01:12 PM
rough

seurat
06-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I dont agree with most of that. One this album's sound is very unique compared to their other albums, and I think they have great energy on it. I also love the variation of their rapping styles on TT5B. And as far as their lyrical references, which supposedly no one can get today, how many ever did to begin with. I mean hell, there are debates even among hardcore fans over them still today. But that was half the appeal, their creativity and humor. They are just staying true to who they are with their obscure and usually wacky references. This was meant to be an old school, but progressive hip hop album, beastie style.

dee_bee_76
06-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Agreed. And to say that 'nobody under 35 will have any idea what they're talking about' is just plain wrong. I'm 28 and totally understand all the pop-culture references, always have...I'm sure most people will.

seurat
06-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Thats no lie. I know fans who are around 18-21, and get almost all of the references from the 70's and 80's. Whomever reviewed this is making some bad assumptions, including comparing this album to past albums, which the beasties had no intention of duplicating or surpassing. For all they have done and accomplished, new barriers broken, you'd think they could just make a damn good hip hop album without people expecting the second coming. Though to be honest, from top to bottom, I do think this is one of their best. Its just hard for me to imagine someone not at least giving this album a favorable review. Because if this is bad, then i feel bad for a whole lot of other rappers, who dont have one-tenth of the beasties creativity and versatility.

pm0ney
06-13-2004, 01:42 PM
you'd think they could just make a damn good hip hop album without people expecting the second coming.

Word the fuck up.

Deep_Sea_Rain
06-13-2004, 03:34 PM
But the Beasties Boys' approach is so literal-minded, the 12 tracks all seem like variations on Afrika Bambaata's groundbreaking 1982 smash, "Planet Rock."

There are 15 tracks, not 12. 16 if you coun't the bonus track on the Japanese version. That's a pretty big mistake...

dee_bee_76
06-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I noticed that when I first posted the article, as well. Anybody getting the feeling that this guy didn't bother to really pay attention to the record at all and as a result just decided to slap together a half-assed review by glancing at a few select lyrics from the album?

Darko
06-13-2004, 03:39 PM
This is a terrible review. Getting the number of tracks wrong is probably the worst thing you can do.

gregorymarshall
06-14-2004, 09:07 AM
These guys can't do any better than the previous albums they pushed the envelope on so even if they tried they wouldn't succeed in this fuckers eyes. They can't win with this schmuck.

Now their being punished for making a straight up hip hop record THEY WANNA DO IT THEIR WAY.

I cant wait fo rmy copy of this album by a great band, with a great history that has done so much hard work its astounding - let them take a break if you will and make an album like this THEIR way, they dont have to please this schmuck by trying to top work previously produced that would be impossible.