PDA

View Full Version : what is a knish, falafel?

Hypestyle
06-13-2004, 07:20 PM
NY ethnic stuff like that.. where does it come from, does it taste good?

mp-seventythree
06-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Falafel is made from deep-friend ground chickpeas and spices. These are put into a pitta with salad. Tastes pretty good and is really filling. It originated in Israel and Palestine. I think the knish is also from that area, but I have no idea what they are. My brother lives in Israel, I'll see if he knows what a knish is.

JtCann
06-15-2004, 02:12 PM
yeah in new york ussually middle eastern places sell falafels like turkish and stuff

knishes are jewish i thought and they are potatos in like a pizza pocket type crust thing. Seach google for more.

YoungRemy
06-15-2004, 05:20 PM
yo, what the falafel?

yeah, knish is potato, kosher and all

mp-seventythree
06-16-2004, 09:31 AM
According to Google searches, knishes are seasoned mashed potato in pastry. Sounds good to me, but I think the nearest place to me that sells them is in London - that's 75 miles away.

jabumbo
06-16-2004, 12:38 PM
so is knish a cousin of a perogie?

sounds like a pretty accurate assumption...pierogi's are the best thing ever...

KilgoreTrout
06-17-2004, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=rhythm fiction perogie[/QUOTE]

mmmmmmmmmm.....perogies...........

jewuk
06-29-2004, 03:12 AM
According to Google searches, knishes are seasoned mashed potato in pastry. Sounds good to me, but I think the nearest place to me that sells them is in London - that's 75 miles away.

well, alas you don't get knishes in London or indeed the UK. Very much a US thing that never was exported to the UK.

Knish is like a pastry with mashed potatoe inside and very yummy when you pen them up and add onions and mustard.

You can buy a Boureka which is very similar and they make them with mashed potatoe inside the pastry.

All that good is making me hungry.

JewUK

jabumbo
06-29-2004, 10:51 AM
i think i would be safe in assuming that a knish is of european descent...apparently not from the UK, but it doesnt sound like an american thing...

think about it, we name stuff what it is...like TV dinners...thats exactly what they are..a bunch of crap in a plastic tray that you can be fat and eat while watching tv...

bigblu89
07-01-2004, 01:38 PM
so is knish a cousin of a perogie?

Pretty much. But they are larger. About the size of a slice of bread, but the thickness of 2 slices of bread. Very filling. They're good with mustard.

baltogrl71
07-15-2004, 04:31 PM
ok knishes are awsome and they are not just potatoe you can get meat, spinach, or vegtable to but you gotta get them from a good deli or make them yourself cause if not made rite they are dry and not so good.I'm not sure the history my dad always got them from the KNISH shop down the street(no joke) I think I may have a good recipe for anyone who wants to try. I gotta look cause my grandmother taught me how to cook by eyeing stuff up and I think those kinda recipes are better learned in person. As for falafel if you want to try (not the best but ok) near east foods carried in almost all grocery stores makes a mix.

paulk
07-15-2004, 11:47 PM
I got a knish at this one Jewish delicatessen on like 63rd avenue or something in the ol queensborough. Once my G-ma went in there not knowing it was a Jewish place and asked for a half a pound of ham, and they told her to get out.

And the knish wasn't that good. If I remembered whose deli it was I would say "don't go there", but I can't remember.

And those Russians down there are a bunch of dicks. izvinitye my ass, with your hand truck full of damn cardboard bread, excuse my fist in your face you commie pinko. Try to sell us the shitty smoked eel for 25 dollars a pound.

Lipper
07-16-2004, 02:19 AM
They also sell Knish's at almost every hotdog stand in NYC.

ms.peachy
07-16-2004, 05:03 AM
OMG, I am so jonesing for knish now. I haven't seen them at all in the UK; I've been making do with cheese and onion pasties (NOT the same :( )

jabumbo
07-16-2004, 10:48 AM
i would help if i could ms peachy!

cedric
07-18-2004, 05:13 PM
falafell are libanese.

they´re fried oriental melted beans.
they go with a white sesame sauce and is perfect for veggies.
you can eat it in a pitta.
i like kebab better but fallafell can be excellent.
you find it also at greek´s ´n´turkish store.

do you guys know about hommos?
try it.

take some natural oriental beans. (!) in french they´re called poid chiche.you can get these at grk trksh store.they´re the round clear brown ones you need to put in the water for one day or two to make it comestible.
you can try with heinz natural bean but i ain´sure at all of that.it could work.

melt it till it looks like a bean kind a guacamolé.
put it 10 mn in a fridge
add a large spoon of olive oil on it.
a few saltnpepper.
a bit of lemon is an option.
eat it with pitta,like a guacamolé with chips.

Mr Fancy Pants
07-19-2004, 03:30 AM
do you guys know about hommos?
try it.

What does sucking cock have to do with falafel?
Either way I'll pass.

ms.peachy
07-19-2004, 03:52 AM
in french they´re called poid chiche.

that's "chickpeas" or garbanzos (or, as I like to call them , butt beans, since they look like tiny hineys).

Cedric- you left garlic out of your humous recipe. It ain't humous if it ain't got garlic, as far as I'm concerned!

baltogrl71
07-19-2004, 07:28 AM
red bell pepper hummus is the best!!!!!!!!try it you'll like it.

cedric
07-19-2004, 08:03 AM
What does sucking cock have to do with falafel?
Either way I'll pass.

it seems like albert einstein just joined this forum.....

cedric
07-19-2004, 08:08 AM
that's "chickpeas" or garbanzos (or, as I like to call them , butt beans, since they look like tiny hineys).

Cedric- you left garlic out of your humous recipe. It ain't humous if it ain't got garlic, as far as I'm concerned!

yeah you´re rigth!
i forgot about garlic!
what would i do without you on this forum?

jabumbo
07-19-2004, 11:10 AM
yeah you´re rigth!
i forgot about garlic!
what would i do without you on this forum?

you would be eating canned soup and macaroni and cheese every day...

as would i...

then_is
07-22-2004, 04:25 AM
falafel is not a Turkish food.it is indian i think.you can make it with chickpea,bread,parsley,some water and some spices.mix and crush them and fried..