PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a distinction between the remixes and mash-ups here?

landos_dad
06-15-2004, 01:28 AM
Should there be a distinction between the remixes and mash-ups here? Let's face it, the majority, if not all Beastie Boys remixes are original compositions. Yes, some may contain samples, but not time stretched samples full bar loops (mash-ups).

Am I being controversial? Fair question, me thinks.
Again, just want to hear you opinons.

(I did ask this in another topic, but only one replied. I reckon it deserved it's own thread).

Here's the one reply :)
yes please do catogarise a bit....
a mashup is something different from an actual remix i would say....

Monsieur Decuts
06-15-2004, 08:36 AM
I truley believe a whole lot of schooling needs to go on in this forum.
I would challange each person to think about what they're listening to. There are a lot of easy ways to create music these days...but I believe there isn't a lot of ears who appreciate the creations.

Hip Hop has always been DYI..but its become too easy. I won't go on an on about respect for our forfathers or how trained the new ear is to just accept whatever is thrown at them.

A listener may not be able to tell if someone programmed drums themselves or stole them from another hip hop song and simply looped them in acid. Its up to the listeners to attempt to deciper where the music came from...only then will we be able to change the minds of 13 year olds who thinks its something special to loop the hell out of a kazza.com download.

Although I think its pretentious to ask for a seperate forum for true producers..but you have to put it all in context people...question what your fed.

landos_dad
06-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Nicely said.

I really just want to encourage people to get making some original compositions. I find it more interesting to listen to.
Like I said, check out the remixes on the Beastie DVD, none are mash-ups, let's get that kind of thing going here.
You don't need any hardware synths.... the tools are out there are lots are free!

I ain't dissing the "mash-up" - I've found a lot of good ideas collaborated here and I still wanna hear em. I just felt a little differentiation between methods could be acknowledged.

SleeveZipper
06-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Well, we could consider to distinguish between mash-ups and and new compositions, but then I ask: where do we distinguish?

I mean, you could've ripped the beat from an old record and have played your pianoloop on your MIDI keyboard.

And sometimes the mash-ups could also be very sophisticated, like searchin your millions of rock lps to find the exact nice guitar riff that fits to your old school beat youve found on another lp.

It think both ways could be an art, although, i must say, that (most of the time) a hot sounding mash-up is not as hard to produce as an new composition (and i think that is what landos saying).

Its ok if you want to distinguish between them, but i think the people who make them have to distinguish by themselves whether its a mashup or a remix.

If someone played a hot piano loop himself, he would rather put it next to the 'proper' remixes, just to get his recognition.

peace out

MarkedCube
06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
I can't really tell the difference between a mash-up and a remix. The only way I know if its a mash-up is if I hear the original beat. But if someone does a mash-up with a clean acapella you would have to be a music genius to pin the samples down.

I'm cool with both styles and I would say if you do a remix/mash up with a clean acapella it'll sound more original then one with a mp3. Sometimes when I hear your remixes Landos, I think you sampled stuff, because I think I heard that little beat before or something similar and also when I listen to a mash up, I think its a remix because I never heard the sample. Two different styles, with one basic goal, to add a new dimension to a existing song.

landos_dad
06-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, I use samples. Individual drum sounds, a kick, a snare etc. But then I will sequence or program them into my own personal drum riff/rythm.

What I was gettin' at is the difference between people seuqncing in midi and the like compared to the blatent sampled loops, whole bars of not only beats, but the bass, the whatever - timestretched... you can hear the difference... you know the loop, you're familar with the music that sits along side the acappella.

Oh well... I don't know. I think this all just hit me when I heard a remix of what was a well known loop, time stretched to fit with the vocals and that was it. I hear these kind of things get rustled up on the radio in seconds - it's a mash-up they call it... they are quite easy to pull off.

Again, I ain't dissin' and I ain't here to get myself respect - there some great remixes which include intricate sample manipulation and arrangments (Taco for example amongst others) and I love them. I just heard some unimaginative ones that's all.

Peace and word to yo mommas

nobbus
06-15-2004, 06:04 PM
I just make mashups because theyre fun. I'm not trying to be the most tecnically brilliant producer, I just want something I can chuck on a CD and listen to.

but my mashups have moved on from basic a+b and I agree about the unimaginative ones.

THUMP!
06-17-2004, 03:37 AM
don't mean to diss but...

fuck mashups...

leave that up to club dj's who wanna surprise their audience by mixin' up 2 different records.