PDA

View Full Version : SPIN feature is shit.

paris
06-21-2004, 07:00 PM
It seems like the fucking guy is, subtly, talking shit through the whole article.

milky cereal
06-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Agreed and I'm not sure if it was even subtle
The guy seems like a smug asshole to me
He should be a bit more humble to have access to an afternoon cruising around with the Beatsies
It is indeed shit

BeastieFromDC
06-21-2004, 07:29 PM
the one in TIME is worse it is really short and has like nothing

Brother McDuff
06-21-2004, 07:37 PM
What makes y'all say that? I just read the article like half an hour ago and thought it was quite entertaining. One of the better ones, I think.

zoejones
06-21-2004, 10:05 PM
i didn't pick up on that. maybe i should read it again. i did find the writer's flow a little annoying in that, well, it didn't flow that well in some parts.

lrf1211
06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
I bought the magazine over the weekend and was disappointed by the article. It was something like "what if the Beastie Boys, who defined and found 'cool' things, didn't care so much about being trendsetters?" That makes it sound like that was always the goal of what they did, when in reality they always got involved in what was interesting to them, and shared that in their music, and Grand Royal. That hasn't changed -- just that they have over the past 10-15 years (who hasn't?)

The problem with the article is that if the writer wasn't focusing on the fact that they have evolved, etc., it would have been that they were trying to act "younger" to "compete," and that was lame. The way it was written was a no-win.

In terms of what Ad Rock said about getting coffee on 9/11, it wasn't his most well-chosen remark. I was in DC that day, and it seemed like everyone in the city was in shock -- something like getting a cup of coffee or that seemed like a tiny bit of normalcy was comforting as the whole world changed around us. I think (hope?) that was what meant.

Cornelius
06-24-2004, 02:56 PM
spin has been off their game ever since they switched size formats... plus, they ain't exactly cutting edge any more either. their article on sxsw in the juse issue was full of stuff everyone knew about a year ago. it's like they are reading other magazines, waiting 6 months, and then putting theirs out.

Deep_Sea_Rain
06-24-2004, 08:34 PM
I particularly disliked this part on page 72....
.................................................. .................................................. ...

"Part of [this album] is what we're feeling and part of it is hoping that it will affect the political process," says Yauch, drinking a mug of tea in the studio. "I think Bush is terrifying. The guy is a lunatic. We'd be hard-pressed to find somebody worse to put in there. Maybe Adolf Hitler."

This statement makes me wonder how much Adam Yauch really knows about Adolf Hitler.
.................................................. .................................................. ...

Now just what is that about? Yeah, I doubt Yauch has any idea of who Hitler is, or what he's done. Seeing as he is an individual of Jewish descent and so political.

monkey
06-24-2004, 09:01 PM
i agree the article isnt that great. but the pictures are DOPE. i dont know if anyone posted them, but i was hysterical laughing when i saw them. If no one's posted them, i'll scan them in.. just say so.

Deep_Sea_Rain
06-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Yes, hilarious pics. I particularly liked the one where they are holding each other up.

°_mullethead_°
06-25-2004, 05:50 AM
i agree the article isnt that great. but the pictures are DOPE. i dont know if anyone posted them, but i was hysterical laughing when i saw them. If no one's posted them, i'll scan them in.. just say so.

yeah, please post them and the article, can't get spin here

Cooky Puss
06-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Ditto. have been looking for spin, but it seems they stopped selling it :S
If you could scan 'm I'd ben very grateful :)

King Schmaltz
06-25-2004, 08:55 AM
That pic of Mike D dressed as a grandmother is hillarious!

Article: eh.
Photos: A++

madizm
06-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Agreed ... the photos were the only good part of that Mag.

pshabi
06-25-2004, 11:50 AM
I agree here. I didn't pick up on any negative vibes. It was a good article.
What makes y'all say that? I just read the article like half an hour ago and thought it was quite entertaining. One of the better ones, I think.

pshabi
06-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Well, I think the writer was right on and although Bush si a moron, it wasn't a good comment by Yauch.
I particularly disliked this part on page 72....

"Part of [this album] is what we're feeling and part of it is hoping that it will affect the political process," says Yauch, drinking a mug of tea in the studio. "I think Bush is terrifying. The guy is a lunatic. We'd be hard-pressed to find somebody worse to put in there. Maybe Adolf Hitler."

This statement makes me wonder how much Adam Yauch really knows about Adolf Hitler.

Now just what is that about? Yeah, I doubt Yauch has any idea of who Hitler is, or what he's done. Seeing as he is an individual of Jewish descent and so political.

DforDustin
06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
In terms of what Ad Rock said about getting coffee on 9/11, it wasn't his most well-chosen remark. I was in DC that day, and it seemed like everyone in the city was in shock -- something like getting a cup of coffee or that seemed like a tiny bit of normalcy was comforting as the whole world changed around us. I think (hope?) that was what meant.

I can almost guarantee that Adrock's comments were taken out of context. The media (even Spin) is good at doing shit like that.
That article was crap anyway.

Most magazine interviews/features on the Beasties suck. They always write about the same bullshit as if their fans didn't already know 90% of the content.

HotAndWet
06-25-2004, 08:51 PM
I still don't understand this "spin" article everyone's talking about. Every store i go to still has the yeah yeah yeahs on the cover and the website still has them on it as well, when did this issue with the beasties on it come out?

tiny_salmon
06-25-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah, i too am quite confused. is it the new issue for july?

monkey
06-25-2004, 10:01 PM
cover (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin1.jpg)
pic1 (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin2.jpg)
pic2 (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin3.jpg)
pic3 (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin4.jpg)

hope this works

paris
06-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Brand fuckin' new, baby!

°_mullethead_°
06-26-2004, 04:21 AM
cover (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin1.jpg)
pic1 (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin2.jpg)
pic2 (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin3.jpg)
pic3 (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin4.jpg)

hope this works

thank you!!! could you also scan the article?

romanpetr
06-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Ha-ha! Great pictures and collage! :D (y) Last picture,where MCA standing with Mike D and Adrock with his long arms,is very cool!

Cooky Puss
06-26-2004, 01:10 PM
OMG, those pictures are very weird...But cool.
Thanks Pauli!

tiny_salmon
06-27-2004, 11:49 PM
wow.............................hot.

Bernard Goetz
06-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Photography by Spike Jonze! (y)

KidintheCorner
06-28-2004, 01:40 PM
i honestly felt this author came across as a pompous ass.

a lot of it annoyed me but the part that bugged me the MOST:

"On the track 'It takes time to Build" Yauch asserts, 'We've got a president we didnt elect/The Kyoto treaty he decided to neglect.' It's safe to say many fans won't grasp such a reference."

Okay, first off this bugged me b/c i'm fully aware of what the kyoto treaty is, but thats besides the point.

more importantly, he makes it sound like just b/c not all fans are gonna know what the kyoto treaty is, the lyric is worthless.

if anything it's a positive b/c i bet there's a good possibility kids are gonna go, "gee, the kyoto treaty, i don't know what that is so maybe i'll look it up."
you know, encouraging fans to learn about something going on in the world....seems like a really good thing to me.

i'm probably reading too far into this, but whatever. i just felt the author was insulting the bboys and their fans all in a few measly lines.

KRS
07-01-2004, 03:54 PM
i honestly felt this author came across as a pompous ass.

a lot of it annoyed me but the part that bugged me the MOST:

"On the track 'It takes time to Build" Yauch asserts, 'We've got a president we didnt elect/The Kyoto treaty he decided to neglect.'

if anything it's a positive b/c i bet there's a good possibility kids are gonna go, "gee, the kyoto treaty, i don't know what that is so maybe i'll look it up."
you know, encouraging fans to learn about something going on in the world....seems like a really good thing to me.

i'm probably reading too far into this, but whatever. i just felt the author was insulting the bboys and their fans all in a few measly lines.

Good point.

Personally, I had only a general idea what the treaty was, but when it came up in a Bush/Kerry discussion with a co-worker (after I had been listening to the album), both of us realized that we didn't know anything specific about it - only that Bush had backed out of it. Was there an alternate proposal? Would it have badly damaged the US economy? We didn't know, and then spent some time looking it up to find out more.

CraftyLady6
07-01-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm with those who say it's not even subtle. The smug, jackass attitude isn't even clever or funny (as it can be done)...just smug. And jackass. Anyways, the pictures rock and are the only reason to open the mag this time around.

ChicoMan
07-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Agreed with the above. Where does this guy get off calling Adrock's stories anticlimatic? I understand that the guy's trying to maintain objectivity, but he goes too far in the other direction and ends up really looking down on the Boys. However, Yauch's comment on Hitler is naive, if he was being serious. Adrock's comment about the coffee on 9/11 is weird, but I agree it was probably taken out of context. The whole article has a negative slant.

ChicoMan
07-05-2004, 12:56 AM
On second thought, I'm certain Yauch was just exagerating to make his point. It's just hard to tell in print.

paris
07-05-2004, 07:54 AM
However, Yauch's comment on Hitler is naive, if he was being serious.

I really don't think so.

Please explain your point.

Many people feel the same as you about the comment, and I just don't understand why, yet?

There are a lot of parallels between Hitler and G.W.B.

Thanx.

ChicoMan
07-05-2004, 12:47 PM
I really don't think so.

Please explain your point.

Many people feel the same as you about the comment, and I just don't understand why, yet?

There are a lot of parallels between Hitler and G.W.B.

Thanx.
Alright, but first let me rephrase and expand on my original post.

The person who wrote the article had a smug and condescending attitude towards the Beasties throughout. He made it seem like they were guys who wanted to be cool, but couldn't pull it off anymore; guys who thought they were witty and funny, but really just told lame stories; and guys who seemed to be talking about more serious issues, but really didn't have a clue.

On this last point, two things struck me. First, Adrock's comment about getting coffee on 9/11. Second, Yauch's Hitler comment. Now, the conclusion I came to was that the author just didn't dig the band and was giving a negative slant to everything the Beasties said and did. I think that Adrock's comments were taken out of context, and that Yauch was probably just exagerating (since his Hitler comment was an afterthought, I can see him saying it in an only half-serious tone of voice).

Honestly, I don't think they were being, at least 100%, serious. The Beasties are never serious with the press, even on politics. I read another article on this forum where they were doing word associations and the interviewer held up a picture of George W fixing his tie. Mike and Adrock's response was "sexy". I mean, not "liar", "murderer", etc., but "sexy". Obviously, even being pressed for a political opinion, they just focused on the fact that he was straightening his tie and played the whole thing off as a joke.

Okay, so here's my thoughts on Bush/Hitler comparisons. I'm sure that you can find a lot of similarities between Bush and Hitler, after all, they were both leaders of their countries and led their countries into war. But, I think that there are two key aspects about Hitler that you have to take into account when comparing anyone to him.
1) He believed that there existed a master race whose destiny was to rule over the whole earth, and, moreover, he thought that there was one particular race which needed to be exterminated off of the face of the earth.
2) He is ultimately responsible for the death of 6 million people.

I don't think that Bush fits either of these characterizations. I mean, who's the master race and who's the race that needs to be exterminated? The American people and Arabs or Muslims? That doesn't make any sense because there are so many Arabs and non-Arab Muslims in the US.

Any other common traits between Bush and Hitler besides these two are probably also common to most world leaders who went to war in the last 100 years, and does not licit a specific Bush/Hitler comparison. At worst, you can compare Bush to leaders who invaded a country to secure its natural resources, but this is far different from comparing him to Hitler and the two points above.

paris
07-05-2004, 01:55 PM
You may have took it out of context.

He simply said, that Hitler is one of the only few, worse people that the U.S. could have in office.

Hitler=Bad

George W.=Not As Bad

Beastie Boys=Nice

b-grrrlie
07-05-2004, 04:36 PM
You could've posted the pics here as well, not just as links. And I'm with °_mullethead_° here, can you scan the article as well?

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin2.jpg
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin3.jpg
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spin4.jpg
and it's because of their humour like this (and still not forgetting the serious side!), I'll never stop loving the Beasties!

KRS
07-06-2004, 09:19 AM
One detail I couldn't figure out from the article - it said that AdRock and Ione divorced in 1999. But just before that, the article said that AdRock had been with his LeTigre girlfriend for 8 years. That would mean he started dating her as much as 3 years before divorcing Ione.

Anyone have the scoop?

CraftyLady6
07-06-2004, 02:21 PM
One detail I couldn't figure out from the article - it said that AdRock and Ione divorced in 1999. But just before that, the article said that AdRock had been with his LeTigre girlfriend for 8 years. That would mean he started dating her as much as 3 years before divorcing Ione.

Anyone have the scoop?

You know, I was wondering about the math at that myself.

KidintheCorner
07-06-2004, 04:54 PM

Anyone have the scoop?

check the "Howard Stern?" link on this press message board....i think that may have something to do with it...but i dunno. i'd put a link to it but i'm not quite sure how to do that.

the only thing i can assume is that he and ione separated before the got official divorced....your guess is as good as mine, i suppose. :)

EriNNa
07-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Can anyone post the Spin feature, is there any text?, i know there are pictures, but are there any words said? ... Thanks... :)
Good life to everyone there, from here...

SpuffyRJ
07-09-2004, 12:47 PM
the article was ok but it kinda made the beastie boys look like they're like at a low point and it had a negative feel. Some things were ok like i like the pictures.

mikedzlilfreak
07-09-2004, 01:04 PM
hell ya but gossip gossip i gues adrock isnt so sweet as yall think lol im just kidden kids

still ill
07-09-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree the article was kinda negative towards the boys , like they fall off of some sort , but Yachs Bush's comment is pretty ignorant . Hitler is was evil dicator.

EriNNa
07-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Where can i get the text of this and the pics?... Thanks :)
Good Life to everyone there, from here...

greedygretchen
07-10-2004, 06:07 PM
pauli
really thanks for the pics...i stood at the magazine stand and was this close to buying it and then i read the article...it's funny 'cause when ill communication came out Details did an article and it did kinda put the b-boys in a bad light and implied that mca felt that tamra davis and ione skye were like yoko onos and also implied that IC might be their last album...the only cool thing about that article was ad-rock describing a bart simpson bong some dude smmoked him out on...the spin article was shite and spin has been shite for a long time now...spin used to be the bomb though :(

DforDustin
07-10-2004, 06:19 PM

Anyone have the scoop?

The DIVORCE was in '99. They separated before that.
Damn...don't any of you kids know people who have been through a divorce/separation?

Serinde
07-10-2004, 10:07 PM
I was just looking at those pics, and I have that same jacket adrock is wearing. I just got it from my Grandfather.

forumnation
07-11-2004, 01:14 PM
to everyone saying bush is no hitler.
consider these things:

1.) possibally it was somewhat sarcastic, an expression which was intended to show disgust for the president.

2.) it was taken somewhat out of context. i'm sure by this point everyone on the board understands what out of context means. if not, look it up.

3.) you can't just view bush from and american perspective. think about him as if you were a member of another country. bush attacked afganistan, took it over, doing the same thing in iraq. is this not similar to actions of nazi germany?

EriNNa
07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Where can i see this pictures????
Thanks for any help... :)
Godd life to everyone there, from here...

MC_kim
07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
I gotta say, I didn't like the pictures too much actually.

monkey
07-16-2004, 04:43 PM
since no one put this up, here it goes:
oh, im a crappy scanner-person

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spinarticle.jpg
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spinarticle1.jpg
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sgl210/spinarticle2.jpg

beastieeffect
07-16-2004, 04:50 PM
I hate it how whenever any band gets a bit political with their music, that is all the media focuses on. It is the exact same thing with Rage Against the Machine. As soon as politics enter the picture, an immediate negativity permiates from the media towards that band... Yes, permiates.

sea_dragon
07-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Regarding the Bush-Hitler comparison, I doubt Yauch was being completely serious, but he's not the first person to make that comparison - columnist Jimmy Breslin is one of the most prominent. And if you read about the rise of Hitler in the '30s there are some eery parallels - both deeply religious and believing that God is on their side, extreme nationalism, a strong propaganda machine, close (almost incestuous) relationship with corporate leaders, and a tendency towards authoritarianism spring to mind. Everyone's first reaction when Hitler is brought up is the Holocaust; but that isn't the sum total of the bad things Hitler did.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0316-08.htm

Does this sound familiar?
"Within four weeks of the terrorist attack, the nation's now-popular leader had pushed through legislation - in the name of combating terrorism and fighting the philosophy he said spawned it - that suspended constitutional guarantees of free speech, privacy, and habeas corpus. Police could now intercept mail and wiretap phones; suspected terrorists could be imprisoned without specific charges and without access to their lawyers; police could sneak into people's homes without warrants if the cases involved terrorism. "

Mr Fancy Pants
07-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Good thing MCA made that bunk statment in spin and not on the internet.

Goodwins Law (http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g/godwin_s_law.html)

zippy
07-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I thought the article in Spin was atrocious. It was very disappointing - I bought it while I would out with my dad and when we got home I read it. Then he said he wanted to read it, I told him not to bother, it won't give him a good, honest impression of the Beasties.

Mary-Kate
07-19-2004, 11:48 AM

I think so too