PDA

View Full Version : CJ Hood Rhymes the Rhyme Well

Brother McDuff
06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
So I recieved a tape in the mail about a month ago. It was from CJ Hood and it contained some accapella vocal tracks of himself. From there I constructed a beat under it to create the following. (I know it's not a "remix," persay, though I thought y'all would get a kick out of it since CJ Hood and I are both message boarders and we met each other here.)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/cjhoodandbrothermcduffmusic.htm

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

cj hood
06-22-2004, 10:12 AM
i think it's incredible......thanx bro!!!!

roosta
06-24-2004, 06:58 AM
That's great!

I like the vocal effect.

Second verse + beat kills....

Nick Jade
06-24-2004, 10:34 AM
How much of that beat was original and sample? It was hot. I'd like a copy of just the beat if I can.

JBbeastie
06-24-2004, 11:36 AM
i've got two words for this...
Dope!
ok so 1 word, but you get the picture. ;)

vindictivimmune
06-24-2004, 12:06 PM
I am highly impressed. Can I get a cd for my birthday? :D I would rock this in my pre game stretches for softball. It's got that flow. In fact, while it was playing I was able to get motivated to clean off my desk at work.

cj hood
06-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I am highly impressed. Can I get a cd for my birthday? :D I would rock this in my pre game stretches for softball. It's got that flow. In fact, while it was playing I was able to get motivated to clean off my desk at work.

glad we can help.......PM mcduff for a copy.......i can't get my hands on a burner right now......we got some other shit lined up for the future......so stay tuned........

Uru-Nitro
06-24-2004, 01:59 PM
great (lb)

Auton
06-24-2004, 04:19 PM
that's cool. McDuff, what didi you use to make your beat? just curious.

Monsieur Decuts
06-24-2004, 08:26 PM
see absolutly zero reasons why you two shouldn't continue on this tip. I'm feeling both your flows.

cj hood
06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
You need to work on your flow son. It's inconsistent with the beat.

But otherwise, you hold your own. I like it a lot.

The Rev. Jason

my flow's fine......mcduff had to f with it a little (especially the 2nd verse) to fit his beat........all considering.....it turned out great......

moww
06-24-2004, 11:55 PM
pretty song,
I always write rhymes > mix the beat > record the rhymes though... do you usually work the other way around or was this just a long distance thing?

cj hood
06-25-2004, 06:43 AM
How long you've been rapping bro!?

since 7th grade (1986).....i got tons of shit recorded......but now being 31 and married with kids i don't have the money nor energy to learn all these computer-beat making techniques.......i leave that up to the younger cats.....so what i've been doing is writing rhymes and rapping over an instrumental......and sending those out......then the beat is remixed to make it more original.........

Burnout18
06-25-2004, 12:21 PM
you kinda sound a lil like kid rock

cj hood
06-25-2004, 03:43 PM
you kinda sound a lil like kid rock

ouch.....he sux.......pimped hip-hop to become a country singer......f' him.....

Burnout18
06-25-2004, 04:01 PM
ouch.....he sux.......pimped hip-hop to become a country singer......f' him.....

No i meant like his first Cd wen he was good

funky49
06-25-2004, 10:05 PM
since 7th grade (1986).....i got tons of shit recorded......but now being 31 and married with kids i don't have the money nor energy to learn all these computer-beat making techniques.......i leave that up to the younger cats.....so what i've been doing is writing rhymes and rapping over an instrumental......and sending those out......then the beat is remixed to make it more original.........

dude! you only got 3 years on me!!

Brother McDuff
06-27-2004, 01:07 PM
I just got back from a camping trip and am delighted that y'all dug that track. Thanks for the compliments. To answer a few questions:

1. There were two samples: the opening drum beat and the funk guitar riff. The synth noises I did on my keyboard, the main beat was made on my drum machine, and I played the bass live with my fender p-bass.

2. There was in fact no effect on the voice. Hood sent his vocals to me on tape, so the mild distortion and boxiness was just a side effect. I think it suited the song nicely, though, and worked out well.

3. To Logic, the rhymes flowed fine originally, though it took a little bit of chopping for me to fit a beat to it. Tapes record at varied speeds, so when I transferred it from tape to ProTools there were errors in the tempo of the vocals. Plus he sent me accapella vocals, and I don't know if you've ever tried, but fitting a beat to prerecorded vocals is not quite an easy task. I just wanted to clear up that Hood is not at fault for some of the timing flaws, these flaws were simply inavoidable circumstances we had to deal with given we were working over a long distance.

4. Lastly, a quick rundown of what I used on this track was:

keyboard (w/synth)
fender precision bass (w/a jazz neck)
an Alesis SR-16 drum machine (nothing special)
an MBox (w/ ProTools LE)

Once again, I'm glad y'all liked it and thanks for the feedback.

Laver1969
06-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Nice job guys!!!

Space
07-12-2004, 07:04 PM
ewe can i be in your posse??/
are you the guy that rapped in your sistas def,,?
do you have a beasties tattoo?

:eek: