PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Rock's Seizure??

Disco Dave
06-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Did anyone else know about this? Maybe I slept through the news when it first happened, but the SPIN article was the first I read about it.

Wow, that's some frightening stuff... says he still has issues with flash photog - must be a problem now with all the media coverage and photo shoots...

staceybridie
06-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeh guess so! Though I havent heard about ad rocks problem over here in UK!! Wont there shows be harder now cause of the lighting they use?

Disco Dave
06-24-2004, 01:41 PM
That's what I'm thinking...
I mean, talk about the wrong profession to have a problem with lighting.

Yikes.

staceybridie
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Your damn right there!
I never been to one of their gigs i seen telivised ones though as I only really started listening to them!! I dont own any of their albums only a dvd.Do u have any ideas of which album would be a good starting pointone of my friends said something about Anthology Sound of Scienece but I cant get my hands on it it sold out everywhere!!

Extra Cheese
06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Dont do drugs

staceybridie
06-24-2004, 01:48 PM
wow that was so random! did u say that cos seizures are side effects of drug use? or am i just being stupid?

King Adrock
06-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Do u have any ideas of which album would be a good starting point

Get "Licensed to Ill first". My reasoning? Its the least expensive one. :P

staceybridie
06-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Yeh i think Ill follow your train of thought on that one!! One of my relatives got it on vinyl an it looks pretty good. Spose it depends where you shop though!! At the moment all the albums in HMV in Cambridge have been down priced! Are any of the others any good?

FuzzyBeastie
06-24-2004, 02:35 PM
um, anyways, back to the ORIGINAL topic of the thread...

so, what happened? where was it? does he have some sorta condition that makes him do that? poor little adrock... :(

staceybridie
06-24-2004, 02:42 PM
sorry im responsible for the diversion of the topic! :( Didt mean it and dont intend to do so again!!
Had Ad Rock been like prone to this for ages or has it only recently developed?

Daisy
06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I believe he has epilepsy.

dee_bee_76
06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Okay...I don't really like going into people's personal lives, whether they're a 'celebrity' or not, but seeing as how Spin brought it up...

I remember reading an interview in 1994 where Adrock mentioned he experienced a seizure during a photo shoot in 1989 (I think it was '89, don't quote me here) and that the flashes of one of those old-style cameras with the big floodlights brought the seizure on. There was more mentioned in this article but I just can't remember all the details and don't want to be mis-quoted.

The Spin article says the following: "These days, he also wears a medical alert bracelet on his wrist - last November, while watching TV with (girlfriend Kathleen) Hanna, he had a full-on epileptic seizure. The illness has been controlled, but he still can't handle flash photography. What's possibly the most interesting thing about Horovitz's epilepsy is that few Beastie Boys fans seem to know about it."

FuzzyBeastie
06-24-2004, 02:54 PM
aw, i feel bad for him. my cousin has epilepsy, i think. got it from his mom.

staceybridie
06-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Man thats well bad! It must be so difficult too! I mean id be worried that Id be set off at any time because they photographed so much these days!

d.c.1
06-24-2004, 02:58 PM
maybe it's a bad idea then that they have a huge flashing wall of lights wrapping around Mix Master Mike's DJ booth at every show.

:rolleyes:

what about the rumor that Mike D has aids?

FuzzyBeastie
06-24-2004, 03:04 PM
can you guys give me a link or something to that spin article? i looked to see if it was already put on the message boards, but i can't find it.

captain_caveman
06-24-2004, 03:05 PM
At the Camden show -- and this was mentioned somewhere else on these pages - -he stopped the show so that everybody could get their cameraphone moment and get over it already. The Beasties all gathered around the edge of the stage and said "Cheese!" Maybe he was annoyed with the cameraphone flashing. Hmmm Could be?

Laver1969
06-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Does this condition change as you get older? They've been exposed to the lights and flashes for decades and to my knowledge he's never had a seizure on stage or in public.

adrockgirl369
06-24-2004, 03:26 PM
That's Sad!!! Someone that hot having problems w/ flashes and crap!!!!! :p

robofoo76
06-24-2004, 03:41 PM
I believe he has epilepsy.
I do as well. I first was diagnosed when I was 4 around 1981 if I took a blow to the head they would happen. But it is something you can out grow I out grew mine Six years ago. Been free from that ever sense so I wish him all the luck of getting through this. (y) I would basically stare off into space then start all the jerking and crap.....

robofoo76
06-24-2004, 03:42 PM
I dont think it does improve, but you know medicine is improving, its probably well controlled.
Strobe lighting is the worst for bringing on siezure. Maybe Adrocks condition is considered when venues do the lighting. ie.no strobes, sudden flashes
It is something that you eventually out grow but their is other cases that you don't. The meds made me sick. I didn't want to do anything I had no energy.

burbboi
06-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I have a buddy that has had similar seizure episodes...

Remember that movie "Fire in the Sky"? Anyways, we were watching that one in the theatres and everything was okay, until that part when the guy is being abducted...you know, bright lights, he's looking up into it..

Well my buddy starts shaking and inadvertently elbowing people because of it. The people in the theatre were pissed off initially, but once they realized what was happening they all gave him some room and let it run its course.

He was just fine afterwards...a little disoriented but fine nonetheless. He doesn't have epilepsy but has these little attacks once in a while...and by that i mean maybe once every 2 or 3 years according to him.

Hope all is well with the King ;)

FuzzyBeastie
06-24-2004, 06:30 PM
my aunt had a type of epilepsy when she was a kid (she too grew out of it) where she'd be doing normal things, then suddenly just stop whatever she was doing and stand lifeless. my mom told me how one time she was carrying dishes, had an episode, and just stopped in her tracks and let the dishes crash to the floor.

Niann-Tsyr
06-24-2004, 06:45 PM
My dad has epilepsy. It took the doctors two freakin' years to find out. His seizures aren't like the ones I've seen before with other people. So we didn't know until finally the docs said it. Sucks big time... :(

like2_drink
06-24-2004, 08:22 PM
i remember my cousin having seisures alot while she was a kid , the docs had to operate on her head , cut somethin out of her brain i think .But shes fine now (y)

but yea ,they could just use better lighting for there photo shoots , to not use the flash of cameras , as for concerts the ppl should definetly leave their camera phones and all that non-sense back home , and just enjoy the concert, thats what i think.

John Ryall
06-24-2004, 08:34 PM
"Well I'm an epileptic, a skept-a-cleptic check it
I'm cutting up the beats from the bear I clept it
I fucked around and then I lost my tooth ahaa
I'm telling everybody it's the goddamn truth."

This is from Adrock in the "Skills to Pay the Bills." (back in 1992). I guess he told us all back then, but we just didn't put it all together. All of a sudden I just remembered this line after reading all of these posts...

ramrod
06-24-2004, 08:40 PM
I don't think it has to do with flash photography. At the Philly show on the 18th he counted to three and told everyone to take a picture at the same time. If "having a seizure" means "being really awesome" then yeah... he had a seisure... he had like nine...teen of them.

Audielicious
06-24-2004, 09:03 PM
I don't think it has to do with flash photography. At the Philly show on the 18th he counted to three and told everyone to take a picture at the same time. If "having a seizure" means "being really awesome" then yeah... he had a seisure... he had like nine...teen of them.

Well, the flash from the camera could probably trigger a seizure. I bet that all the pictures for that article that Spike Jonze took didn't use flash anyway. You made me smile with the comment about having a seizure equate to "being really awesome" because we all know how awesome Adam is. :D

Benny Blanco
06-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Last Sunday a few hours before the Much Music Video Awards I'll never forget that day because that day was the day I met The KingAdrock and a Mr. Micheal Diamond here in Toronto at the Edge102 radio interview. I waited for two hours the interview was at 4PM and they were late but I didn't care I knew I was going to meet them. Anyways back to the epilepsy topic I was excited because I thought I would get a picture with at least one of them but about half an hour before the interview we were told that there was going to be absolutely no photos allowed at all because one of the Beastie Boys has epilepsy and the flash can set off a seizure so we were told no photos or security will take you out. I believed this actually because I had heard a few years back about Adrock having epilepsy and the medical bracelet. But the security at Edge102 kept saying that it was Mike D that had epilepsy so guys lets do this for Mike D. Anyways I was a bit disappointed with no photos but what am I complaining about here I am at the front of this crowd of about 50 people crammed into the radio station and I got to shake hands with Adrock and Mike D they were so cool too bad MCA was a no show but I can't complain. The interview was hilarious as usual and they said part of the video for the next single Triple Trouble will be filmed in Toronto. Their performance at the awards was great, too bad I was standing around a little too many Hilary Duff fans who kept singing one of her shit songs. Also one of the VJ's for MuchMusic mentioned that the Beastie Boys outfits for the red carpet may be used for some parts in the Triple Trouble video.

tiny_salmon
06-24-2004, 09:16 PM
wow i had no idea he had epilepsy. that's pretty terrible. poor guy. but even so, he still rocks out like no other. adrock is such a gangster. i love him.

Audielicious
06-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Last Sunday a few hours before the Much Music Video Awards I'll never forget that day because that day was the day I met The KingAdrock and a Mr. Micheal Diamond here in Toronto at the Edge102 radio interview. I waited for two hours the interview was at 4PM and they were late but I didn't care I knew I was going to meet them. Anyways back to the epilepsy topic I was excited because I thought I would get a picture with at least one of them but about half an hour before the interview we were told that there was going to be absolutely no photos allowed at all because one of the Beastie Boys has epilepsy and the flash can set off a seizure so we were told no photos or security will take you out. I believed this actually because I had heard a few years back about Adrock having epilepsy and the medical bracelet. But the security at Edge102 kept saying that it was Mike D that had epilepsy so guys lets do this for Mike D. Anyways I was a bit disappointed with no photos but what am I complaining about here I am at the front of this crowd of about 50 people crammed into the radio station and I got to shake hands with Adrock and Mike D they were so cool too bad MCA was a no show but I can't complain. The interview was hilarious as usual and they said part of the video for the next single Triple Trouble will be filmed in Toronto. Their performance at the awards was great, too bad I was standing around a little too many Hilary Duff fans who kept singing one of her shit songs. Also one of the VJ's for MuchMusic mentioned that the Beastie Boys outfits for the red carpet may be used for some parts in the Triple Trouble video.

Thanks for posting that, Benny. It's always nice to hear about good encounters. :)

Rotten Tanx
06-24-2004, 09:47 PM
There are several types of seizures and eplilepsy. Temporal lobe epiliepsy is like having a huge hallucination, but I doubt adrock has that. Photosensitive epilepsy is what's being described but as far as I'm aware it's quite rare.

Generally there are two types of seizure, a peti-mal and a grand mal (I might be spelling these wrong, I dunno). Basically a small seizure and a big one. For the big ones you're usually taken into hospital.

What's most common are the smaller ones where you lose consciousness and become very rigid for roughly a minute. Some people have them all the time, some people hardly ever. Most people feel fine when they come round. I have an uncle who had one once, about age 50, and then never had another one again. Since it's not widely known that adrock is epileptic then I imagine (if it's true in the first place) that he's only had a few in his lifetime. Someone who suffered from regular seizures would almost certainly have them on stage, like that bloke from that band, the name of which escapes me, but he was famous for it.

Anyway, if flashing lights would set him off, I doubt he'd pose for photographs.

skinner
06-24-2004, 10:39 PM

Justin
06-24-2004, 10:44 PM
So drugs was no contribution towards his condition?

adrock
06-24-2004, 11:28 PM

i started with il communication and pauls botique

DontWearSheer
06-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Poor Ad. Hmm. Would really strong sunglasses help? I don't know. I'm an imbecile. Just a little freaked. My grandmother had her own seizure problems. At least she got through 'em. Wishing Ad best of health. -_-

kb9tej
06-25-2004, 12:01 AM
that's not too cool but from my experiences and dealing with people who have seizures, usually it poses no seriosus health risks so i'm sure in the long run he be aight, just as long as he don't fall and bust his melon or something like that

beastiegirl
07-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Someone who suffered from regular seizures would almost certainly have them on stage, like that bloke from that band, the name of which escapes me, but he was famous for it.

Rotten tanx- u mean Ian Curtis(RIP) from Joy Division? He had bad elipepsy, ended up having seizures at most gigs brough on by the lighting and (I think) the drumming.

BeastieGirl88
07-20-2004, 09:20 AM
yeah how come adam never had a seizure on stage? they usually have lots of lights on their shows..well maybe he's taking medication, but that doesn't make sense because the meds usually cause side effects such as fatigue neusia etc. and adrock always jumps around on stage showing no signs of illness. that's wierd
anyway, i'm sure everything's fine and the disease is well taken care of.. (y)

So drugs was no contribution towards his condition?
drugs and alcohol can trigger a seizure, a long-term usage of drugs can cause epilepsy, but i don't think that's the reason for adam's epilepsy..it depends on how much nad what kind of drugs he took

ChokolateHeat
07-20-2004, 10:34 AM
I had no idea Adrock has epilepsy, I obviously failed to put the two together from that verse in Skills to Pay the Bills; And that's really sad bc he comes right out and tells us. I was saddened to hear the news, but I know the King will be fine. He's too bad ass to let a little epilepsy get to him :D

robofoo76
07-20-2004, 11:37 AM
I know someone with a 2 year old kid, they nearly lost him a one point, the siezures were so severe. Theyre hoping its a childhood thing (maybe like you?).
I think you were brave (y)
Thanks. :)

queen_adrock
07-20-2004, 11:51 AM
awww, that's sad. you'd think he'd have seizures while performing cuz of all the crazy lights and stuff...... hey, aren't seizures named after julius caesar cuz he always got them? i dunno, i think i heard that somewhere.....oooh! "ch-check it" is on much music right now.

Mary-Kate
07-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Awww, I hope he gets better, poor, poor Adrock :(

Mary-Kate
07-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Also one of the VJ's for MuchMusic mentioned that the Beastie Boys outfits for the red carpet may be used for some parts in the Triple Trouble video.

Cool! those outfits rocked!

zoejones
07-20-2004, 12:19 PM
In the SPIN article it said his condition is under control. Maybe that's why he can perform without having any seizures?

I've never seen the Beastie Boys live, but from footage I've seen, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of flashing lights (or maybe I just never noticed).

And if he can't handle flash photography, how does he deal with paparazzi? Not that I've ever seen any of them in tabloids (not that I really read them either) but you have to assume they get harrassed by photographers. Or maybe they're just really good at keeping away from them.

ASHLEY
07-20-2004, 12:31 PM
This thread should be deleted, this is exactly why the boys never visit their own site....and touch base with us. waaaaayyyyy to much gossip.

sure shooter
07-20-2004, 12:35 PM

My sources tell me this is true. Hang in there Mike D. (y)

BeastieGirl88
07-20-2004, 01:42 PM
This thread should be deleted, this is exactly why the boys never visit their own site....and touch base with us. waaaaayyyyy to much gossip.
you're so right..i'm felling kinda guilty to talk about their persinals lives and stuff.. :(

but i think adrock's condition is something that fans should know about, so we know better the next time we'd want to take pictures of him (yeah like that happens a lot...but still)

blanket.of.troy
07-20-2004, 02:02 PM
yeah i think its a little personal but i just have to say good luck with it, hang in there and all the best to adam h. and all of you who have shared your personal experiences.

Lex Diamonds
07-20-2004, 06:06 PM
How did Michael D get AIDs?

I_wear_manties
07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Ah yo, that shit be wack yo. They be dissin my boy Adrock. He looking like dude snow white for real. Shit, you needs to give me some information bout some phototaker. Shit, they be making my boy sick with some motha fucking camera and shit. You needs to let a brotha know who did this shit for real. I be getting all up in that fools face for real. I be fronting that fool and you knows it. :mad: shit, they need to be respecting my boy Adrock. they some straight up fools for real, . We need to get up and do this shit. ah yo, that wack yo.

Holy Cow
07-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Ahh... Don't laugh but my dog is epilieptic, and she get her seizures not very often, and usauly after she saw very very VERY bright lights or after she gets scared. She usaully gets it after Independents day fire-works (I live in a very small town that doesn't even call town, it calls towney - for real! - so the fire works are very close). anyway, there are madicins for this stuff, but my dog can't have them, because it wasn't Experienced on animals (how lovely is that? :rolleyes: ). for all I understand those madicins suppose to reduce to number of seizures.

And about Mike-D having Aids - WTF MATES?
He has a KID! and a WIFE!
If he has Aids, than he sould have got it at the time he was still fooling around, like in the late 80's, very early 90's, than how could he even consider having a kid? :confused:
Doesn't make a lot of logic, huh?

Francesca
07-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Just to give you guys a little info on the seizure thing. There's a interview with the Beastie Boys that I have from "Details" magazine, it's from June of '94. In the interview, Adam's seizures come up in the interview. "He's gone through things that would give anyone gray hair. For instance, on the subject of drugs, Adam tells me he doesn't really do them much anymore-except for smoke-because he's got a "head case".
What do you mean?
"I have seizures. In 1989 I was doing some fancy photo shoot and the flashes went pop! and the next thing I know, I'm in an ambulance. I'd had a full-on seizure in front of this photographer, who was like, Oh my God, og my goodness! So it's serious for me- if I do stimulants, like coke or speed, it's much easier for me to have a heart attack."
This doesn't really say whether or not he was on drugs at the time, but I thought some of you might find this interesting. It's a great aticle, goes into a lot about each bboy. If you can get your hands on it.

zoejones
07-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Just to give you guys a little info on the seizure thing. There's a interview with the Beastie Boys that I have from "Details" magazine, it's from June of '94.

Does anyone have scans of this? Or a link?

dpjc98
07-21-2004, 07:47 PM
My heart goes out to Adam H. - seems like a really cool guy.

G Lampa
07-24-2004, 03:30 PM
And about Mike-D having Aids - WTF MATES?
He has a KID! and a WIFE!
If he has Aids, than he sould have got it at the time he was still fooling around, like in the late 80's, very early 90's, than how could he even consider having a kid? :confused:
Doesn't make a lot of logic, huh?

I'm not going to perpetuate this rumor, but what does having a wife and kids have to do with having AIDS? There are other ways to contract it besides being an out-of-the-closet homosexual, people. There is intravenous drug use, not to mention the hundreds of sexually-transmitted possibilities. He might be bi, but in the closet about it... his wife might have contracted it, and spread it to him, they might be swingers, SHE might be a junkie.... etc. etc.

Again, I'm only conveying the possibilities, IF this were true. Until he goes public with an admission or denial, I'd say it's bad karma to speculate further. Pray to god it's bullshit, because Saint Mike is too cool for school.... and I hope he lives to 100.

computer_action
07-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Just to give you guys a little info on the seizure thing. There's a interview with the Beastie Boys that I have from "Details" magazine, it's from June of '94. In the interview, Adam's seizures come up in the interview. "He's gone through things that would give anyone gray hair. For instance, on the subject of drugs, Adam tells me he doesn't really do them much anymore-except for smoke-because he's got a "head case".
What do you mean?
"I have seizures. In 1989 I was doing some fancy photo shoot and the flashes went pop! and the next thing I know, I'm in an ambulance. I'd had a full-on seizure in front of this photographer, who was like, Oh my God, og my goodness! So it's serious for me- if I do stimulants, like coke or speed, it's much easier for me to have a heart attack."
This doesn't really say whether or not he was on drugs at the time, but I thought some of you might find this interesting. It's a great aticle, goes into a lot about each bboy. If you can get your hands on it.

That's very interesting. One of the ways to attain Epilepsy is by abusing alcohol and/or drugs or withdrawal. From what I understand, Adam used to do a lot of both back then. They made it evidently clear in their live shows and interviews. Although I'm pretty sure its because of withdrawal that he has the seizures. But whatever, I'm no doctor so I really can't confirm what it's from.

I just hope it doesn't become to big of a problem for him. :(

Peggy420
07-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Your damn right there!
I never been to one of their gigs i seen telivised ones though as I only really started listening to them!! I dont own any of their albums only a dvd.Do u have any ideas of which album would be a good starting pointone of my friends said something about Anthology Sound of Scienece but I cant get my hands on it it sold out everywhere!!

My vote would be Ill Communication or Hello Nasty.

Sakura Ikiro
07-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Aw!!Poor little Adrock...I that happens to him. I've got something similar to that.

lrf1211
07-25-2004, 12:12 PM
I think that it is great that Adrock is open about having epilepsy. When my sister was in college, she started to suffer from nocturnal seizures. Apparently 5% of people have a seizure once and never again. Anyway -- the scary part was that it happened in her sleep (she had a headache and some indications when she woke up -- I'll skip the details). After she had a second one she ended up getting medication and hasn't had a seizure in a number of years. It is a controllable illness, so long as you know what is going on.

The unfortunate thing is that she can't be open about it because she is on local television and if people knew, her bosses may be afraid to put her on air. But she says that if she gets well-known enough she'll discuss it because she'd like to tell people that epilepsy is a treatable illness. So thanks Adrock for being do matter-of-fact because hopefully his openness will increase awareness.

The Wedge
07-25-2004, 07:46 PM
johnny rotten has the same condition. he said that's why he wears sunglasses in clubs

adrockgirl
07-31-2004, 08:40 AM
i have learned one thing here... okay two things...
no to drugs, and i just won't use a flash when i take pictures of him. Is that ok? maybe i will ask him.

but i would think, no flash, no seizures. :confused:

i need help.

wundergrl47
08-01-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm not going to perpetuate this rumor, but what does having a wife and kids have to do with having AIDS? There are other ways to contract it besides being an out-of-the-closet homosexual, people. There is intravenous drug use, not to mention the hundreds of sexually-transmitted possibilities. He might be bi, but in the closet about it... his wife might have contracted it, and spread it to him, they might be swingers, SHE might be a junkie.... etc. etc.

Again, I'm only conveying the possibilities, IF this were true. Until he goes public with an admission or denial, I'd say it's bad karma to speculate further. Pray to god it's bullshit, because Saint Mike is too cool for school.... and I hope he lives to 100.

the way I saw it, I thought they meant how can he have kids if he has AIDS as in, why would he have unprotected sex, which is how you have kids, if he had AIDS because it could spread to his wife and possibly his kids. I didn't see that as them calling Mike D. And by the way, I also don't really think he has AIDS.

Holy Cow
08-03-2004, 07:37 PM

Hu?

I was talking about having Aids and 2 kids, you know, They will have Aids too. When you have Aids, The smart thing is NOT having a kid.
I didn't say that you have to be a homosexsual to have Aids, I said that he had to get it from A Relationship (No mater what kind) or drugs.

beastiegirl14
08-03-2004, 10:31 PM
There are several types of seizures and eplilepsy. Temporal lobe epiliepsy is like having a huge hallucination, but I doubt adrock has that. Photosensitive epilepsy is what's being described but as far as I'm aware it's quite rare.

Generally there are two types of seizure, a peti-mal and a grand mal (I might be spelling these wrong, I dunno). Basically a small seizure and a big one. For the big ones you're usually taken into hospital.

What's most common are the smaller ones where you lose consciousness and become very rigid for roughly a minute. Some people have them all the time, some people hardly ever. Most people feel fine when they come round. I have an uncle who had one once, about age 50, and then never had another one again. Since it's not widely known that adrock is epileptic then I imagine (if it's true in the first place) that he's only had a few in his lifetime. Someone who suffered from regular seizures would almost certainly have them on stage, like that bloke from that band, the name of which escapes me, but he was famous for it.

Anyway, if flashing lights would set him off, I doubt he'd pose for photographs.

i know what you mean. my mom has it too. she's had it since 1997. she hasthe small ones in her sleep like everynight. I've been dealing with this situation for seven years. the first one my mom had was a grand mal seizure. she was driving our car, and pulled over, and had one. i was pretty freaked out. but, ive learned alot about it over the years, and my mom can't like look directly into flashing lights, or she'll have a seizure, but at least she's getting better.

anyways, back to the subject. whoa, i never knew that he had that. thats weird. that must really suck, though. well, hopefuly he's getting better, and there are some ways to et rid of it, but he would have to have surgery, but i bet he's taking alot of meds. well, adrock, im wishing you the best of luck!!! XOXO!! :)

electronegative
08-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Are these facts? Let's get to the facts here. Being a scientist at heart, I like to get to facts. I am fascinated by science, particularly chemistry. I am an RN-just finishing my RN education and continuing on to get a degree in chemistry. Eventually, I want to attend medical school and become a psychiatrist. I am 30 now so I will be 40 by that time!! When someone is on certain meds, a reaction to light can be detrimental. I always have to monitor the light in the rooms of patients on meds that will cause certain sensitivity to light. This is serious and can be very frightening for the patient.
As far as epileptic seizures go, this is some of what I have learned and understand:
In normal brain function millions of tiny electrical charges pass from nerve cells in the brain to all parts of the body. In patients with epilepsy, this normal pattern is interrupted sometimes by sudden and unusually intense bursts of electrical energy, which may briefly affect a person's consciousness, bodily movements, or sensation. During a seizure, nerve cells in the brain fire electrical impulses at a rate of up to four times higher than normal. This causes a sort of electrical storm in the brain. A pattern of repeated seizures is referred to as epilepsy.

Seizures cause different physical effects depending on which parts of the brain are involved and how far the signals fan out. Some people have violent seizures that knock them to the floor unconscious and twitching. Others experience less severe seizures that may only blank them out for a few seconds or more. Some mild seizures pass so quickly that it seems the person is just daydreaming. But, when these "absences" happen hundreds of times a day, they can be debilitating. Often, people sense that something is about to happen to them right before a seizure. This feeling, called an "aura," makes them restless, irritable, or just vaguely uncomfortable. After a seizure, people often don't remember having the seizure.

The likelihood of a seizure, as well as its type, in photosensitive individuals depends on the intensity, the contrast of the visual stimulus, and the specific frequency of flashing. Extensive EEG studies have shown that a flicker stimuli between 10 and 30 flashes per second induces the generalized epileptiform discharges and the clinical features characteristic of an epileptic seizure particularly well. Television, computer, and video game screens produce a 50 Hz flicker and a vibrating pattern at half the alternating-current frequency, or 25 flashes per second within the 10 to 30 flashes per second range. The vibrating pattern is only visible when sitting close to the television. Therefore, most television-induced seizures occur at viewing distances between 1.5 and two meters. 100 Hertz televisions cause a vibrating pattern of 50 flashes per second and do not induce seizures.
-Amelia(Emilia)

electronegative
08-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Okay........whoa, whao, whao, whao........this is just NOT okay to talk about Mike D. possibly being infected with the HIV virus. To have AIDS first of all is a diagnosis that has to fit a certain criteria. I do know this, I work with people living with HIV and AIDS as well as I have studied microbiology. The American Society for Micriobiologists released a new discovery in May of this year that an oral lactobacillus, one that normally exists in the human mouth has proven to deactive the HIV virus. So...this would inhibit the transmission from mother to child in breastfeeding. FACTS: 25% chance of mother passing the HIV virus on to child in the womb. Also, don't discuss a health issue so serious on a message board. As an RN, this is fingernails on the chalkboard for me. My heart goes out to anyone living with HIV. If he makes a choice to go public if he is indeed infected then maybe..but with some respect and compassion one should respond. The hardest job I have ever had was working at an AIDS hospice. This virus takes the life out of you so the key would be to support the person living with it and value the life they have to give. I can go into a lot more scientific detail but here are some..
Facts about HIV/AIDS:
The acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) was first recognized in 1981 and has since become a major worldwide pandemic . Abundant evidence indicates that AIDS is caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) , which was discovered in 1983. By leading to the destruction and/or functional impairment of cells of the immune system, notably CD4+ T cells, HIV progressively destroys the body's ability to fight infections and certain cancers.

Why is there overwhelming scientific consensus that HIV causes AIDS?

Before HIV infection became widespread in the human population, AIDS-like syndromes occurred extremely rarely, and almost exclusively in individuals with known causes of immune suppression, such as chemotherapy and underlying cancers of certain types. A marked increase in unusual infections and cancers characteristic of severe immune suppression was first recognized in the early 1980s in homosexual men who had been otherwise healthy and had no recognized cause for immune suppression. An infectious cause of AIDS was suggested by geographic clustering of cases, links among cases by sexual contact, mother-to-infant transmission, and transmission by blood transfusion. Isolation of the HIV from patients with AIDS strongly suggested that this virus was the cause of AIDS. Since the early 1980s, HIV and AIDS have been repeatedly linked in time, place and population group; the appearance of HIV in the blood supply has preceded or coincided with the occurrence of AIDS cases in every country and region where AIDS has been noted. Individuals of all ages from many risk groups – including men who have sex with men, infants born to HIV-infected mothers, heterosexual women and men, hemophiliacs, recipients of blood and blood products, healthcare workers and others occupationally exposed to HIV-tainted blood, and male and female injection drug users – have all developed AIDS with only one common denominator: infection with HIV.

HIV destroys CD4+ T cells, which are crucial to the normal function of the human immune system. In fact, depletion of CD4+ T cells in HIV-infected individuals is an extremely powerful predictor of the development of AIDS. Studies of thousands of individuals have revealed that most HIV-infected people carry the virus for years before enough damage is done to the immune system for AIDS to develop; however, with time, a near-perfect correlation has been found between infection with HIV and the subsequent development of AIDS. Recently developed, sensitive tests have shown a strong correlation between the amount of HIV in the blood and the subsequent decline in CD4+ T cell numbers and development of AIDS. Furthermore, reducing the amount of virus in the body with anti-HIV drugs can slow this immune destruction.

-Amelia(Emilia)

like2_drink
08-04-2004, 12:16 AM
didnt we already have this topic? - not that we dont get the same topics alot -

grand_wizard8
08-06-2004, 01:44 AM
this is responding to whoever was perplexed about what beastie album to buy first.

hello nasty and paul's boutique are pretty nice, it really depends what kind of beastie boys you like, if your more into the the mischievious berr drinking skirt chasing bboys, then try ill communication.
If you want to see them in heavy experimentation, and conquering, at that time, unconquered musical territory, then try Paul's Boutique.

If you want ill rhymes then the obvious choice would be ill communication.

grand_wizard8
08-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Isn't this the second or third time that Mike D has been killed off by the fans?
Before Pauls Boutique people thought he had OD'd, or been murdered by RUNDMC and a million other things.

And then round the time of the ill fated RATM BBoys tour when MikeD broke his arm or whatever, I heard that he had died. Now this?
Poor guy. Guess he'll never have a problem pulling an Andy Kauffman and faking his own death.
Just joking, I think Andy Kauffman is dead.

sea_dragon
08-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Epilepsy can be deadly - my cousin had it her whole life, and died last year after having a seizure while home alone (her airway was blocked). Her two teenage daughters found her. :(

alexandra
08-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Epilepsy can be deadly - my cousin had it her whole life, and died last year after having a seizure while home alone (her airway was blocked). Her two teenage daughters found her. :(
that's terrible, i'm sorry. :(

ASHLEY
08-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I cant believe this thread still exists....

i<3amelie
10-23-2004, 11:27 AM
I only joined to reply to this thread, Hehe.

I have Photo-Sensitive Epilepsy too :( and it's funny how there is such a big deal about someone in a band having it but people who can't go to certain gigs and get let down because they only find out at the last minute that one of their favourite bands are using strobes apparantly don't matter.

I'm 99% sure the Beastie Boys (and alot of other bands) wouldnt have even given it ANY thought to not use strobes because the MAJORITY of fans dont have Epilepsy. It disgusts me to be honest. Yeah i feel bad for the famous people that have Epilepsy too but before Ad-rock developed it do you really think he even gave it any thought to not use strobes because of the people that do have Epilepsy??.

I'd go on but i think i got my point across :) .

milkboy009
10-23-2004, 11:55 AM
props to Adrock for holdin it down even though hes epileptic and shit. it doesnt seem to get in the way of the beasties major sucsess. Its all about the love of the game.

bgirl_jess
10-24-2004, 11:28 AM
:(

Madtown
10-26-2004, 03:40 PM
First of all this is not directed at everyone who has posted in this thread.

However, a lot of what has been posted in this thread is just flat out wrong, and some of it completely stupid and even disrespectful. How do I know? I have epilepsy.

Most people with epilepsy are scared to ever admit it since there is so much incorrect information flying around out there. They are afraid of being unfairly labeled and treated.

If you really do care about Ad-Rock, take some time to check out www.epilepsyfoundation.org. Or ask me and I'll try to help.

Here is just one part from the site in regards to photosensitivity and seizures.

“Epilepsy is a hidden episodic condition that affects more than 2.5 million Americans. For 5 percent (approximately 100,000) of people with epilepsy, exposure to flashing lights at certain intensities can trigger seizures. This condition is known as photosensitive epilepsy. It is more common in children and adolescents and becomes less frequent with age, with rare cases in the mid twenties.”

IloveMikeD*
10-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Are you trying to make me cry ? does this mean he is going to die ? :(

Ask For Janice
10-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Photosensitive epliepsy is inherited and appears in the teens/early 20s.

here's what can cause a seizure:

Lights: The frequency of flashing light most likely to trigger seizures varies from person to person. Generally it is between 8-30 flashes per second.
Camera flashes rarely trigger seizures unless fired in rapid succession. It is also rare for seizures to be triggered by hand held screens or while watching a film.
Red flickering light and strobe or disco lights can trigger seizures, particularly if the room is darkened and there are other triggers such as stress, excitement, tiredness and alcohol. For those who are photosensitive the risk will depend on the speed at which the lights flash.

Note what it says about cameras. There's a difference in having one photographer taking your picture vs. dozens and dozens all at once.

This type is easily treated by medication (usually Depakote which I take but for a different condition.)

beastie_dee
10-26-2004, 05:03 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

never ever ever ASK SUTCH QUESTIONS!

EVER!

IloveMikeD*
10-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Sorry ! But seriously I am curious this is a scary thing!

DapperDiverge
10-26-2004, 06:01 PM
God Adrock, it's like how many blows can you take from life? I know what you're going through, for sure. I'm very sensitive to lights myself. I try to keep everything dark and I always wear sunglasses. A lot people think I'm on some heavy drugs, but I'm not. I also suffer seizers from ambulance sirens. I wonder if that's rare? Like everytime there's a fire truck, and the siren goes off, my head starts spinning and I drop to the floor. Damn, do I have it tough going to concerts!! That's why I go with sunglasses and earplugs. I also suffer from tachycardia (unusually rapid heartbeat) so I'm a ticking time bomb! So Adrock, just hang in there and salud mi amigo y recuperarse por favor! :)

Madtown
10-26-2004, 10:49 PM
God Adrock, it's like how many blows can you take from life? I know what you're going through, for sure. I'm very sensitive to lights myself. I try to keep everything dark and I always wear sunglasses. A lot people think I'm on some heavy drugs, but I'm not. I also suffer seizers from ambulance sirens. I wonder if that's rare? Like everytime there's a fire truck, and the siren goes off, my head starts spinning and I drop to the floor. Damn, do I have it tough going to concerts!! That's why I go with sunglasses and earplugs. I also suffer from tachycardia (unusually rapid heartbeat) so I'm a ticking time bomb! So Adrock, just hang in there and salud mi amigo y recuperarse por favor! :)

Seizures from sirens? For some reason I doubt this one. I did a fair amount of research and can't find any cases.

NatuBlonde
10-26-2004, 11:33 PM
It's something to think about... on another note I'll help him put the lights out. He's made a huge f-ing effort to deal with this... Kudos! Gratitude!

IloveMikeD*
10-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Crys gosh I hope Adrock gets better!!~

i<3amelie
10-28-2004, 12:45 PM

That's the most ridiculous question i have ever heard. Did you not read what MadTown said....100,000 people in America live with it. I live with it, It's not bloody terminal cancer. Not meaning to sound rude or anything ;) ;) .

i<3amelie
10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Photosensitive epliepsy is inherited and appears in the teens/early 20s.

here's what can cause a seizure:

Lights: The frequency of flashing light most likely to trigger seizures varies from person to person. Generally it is between 8-30 flashes per second.
Camera flashes rarely trigger seizures unless fired in rapid succession. It is also rare for seizures to be triggered by hand held screens or while watching a film.
Red flickering light and strobe or disco lights can trigger seizures, particularly if the room is darkened and there are other triggers such as stress, excitement, tiredness and alcohol. For those who are photosensitive the risk will depend on the speed at which the lights flash.

Note what it says about cameras. There's a difference in having one photographer taking your picture vs. dozens and dozens all at once.

This type is easily treated by medication (usually Depakote which I take but for a different condition.)

I also have the same Epilepsy and was just wondering....Does it not piss you off that suddenly everyone goes mad because someone famous has it and poor him cut out the lights!! but then no one thinks about the people who have to miss their favourite bands play because of strobes and stuff....??. It annoys the hell out of me and i'm just wondering if you felt the same....

IloveMikeD*
10-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Thats why I asked can he die from that I wasnt sure! Thanks for anwsering my question though ;)

mikedzlilfreak
10-28-2004, 02:15 PM
ohmy...

i<3amelie
10-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Thats why I asked can he die from that I wasnt sure! Thanks for anwsering my question though ;)

Sorry, I answerd a bit rudely :rolleyes: :) .

Space
10-28-2004, 05:26 PM
oh word on the radio now!

fonky pizza
10-29-2004, 08:35 AM

fonky pizza
10-29-2004, 10:56 AM

jennygirl9999
11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
yeah i read it is the spin artical to. he was on the couch with his girlfriend or something. i might be wrong.

rosita
11-25-2004, 02:44 PM
What?? of course you can't die from having one seizure!! I would be dead 1000 times if that would be the case. Maybe if you have a bad case of epilepsy, but I doubt that Adrock has that

boagsta
12-06-2004, 01:58 AM
Holy misinformation Batman!

Epilepsy is like many other afflictions that affect millions around the world everyday - misunderstood.

People say epileptic, diabetic whatever, all of a sudden a person is labelled and disabled.

- Can a seizure kill you? not directly, unless you have the worst kind of epilepsy that requires surgery to spilt the brain at the corpus colossum.

- Does Adrock have this? NO. If he had it that bad, he wouldnt be able to function normally, and therefore DEFINATELY wouldnt be touring.

-Therefore he has a lower grade epilepsy as millions do, and once it is controlled it will be nothing more than the inconvenience of taking daily medication. I was diagnosed as having epilepsy at 14 and it took until about 17 to sort it out. There was no worry on my part about it, other than slight embarrasment at having the odd seizure in public.

-Can you die from epilepsy? Yes, but youve more chance of dying crossing a street. If you have a seizure whilst tightrope walking or before you pull the string on your parachute you may be in trouble - but you have to be unlucky.
The worst I had was whilst showering. I had a seizure and ripped the shower curtain off, which blocked the plughole - I woke up underwater and nearly choked to death, but didnt.
KEY POINT from this - I didnt tell relatives about it, why have them worry over something they cannot control?
Therefore Im sure Ad appreciates everyones concern, but I reckon he'd just rather "get on with it", have it known but not fussed over.

And as for the Mike D stuff - in VERY POOR TASTE :mad:

Incidentally Beasties - you rocked my world last night in Glasgow - please come back soon, you rule!!

sophie025
12-09-2004, 07:22 PM
noooooooo. :( i dont want ad-rock to have epilepsy, he's too awesome to have a diesese, shit i hope he'll b okay s'long as its under control i guess.. aw im scared now. bless him. bleeeeeeeeeeess. hes so fyne argh! i feel bad i took pics of him to close up with flash photography...
If u read this ad-rock: I LOVE U. (y) :o

~sophie

mastershake_045
12-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Dont do drugsYEAH WHAT HE SAID (TOKE) (PUFF)(COUGH)
:rolleyes: :cool:

steve-onpoint
05-31-2005, 02:11 AM
peep Skills to Pay the Bills

he drops a reference there. that song is always the joint.

and with that flute and bass ish? psh... no doubt.

Cristin
06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
My friend has Epilepsy and she had a seizure bc i was watching the "Jimmy James" video. <true story.

Chicka B
06-02-2005, 11:39 PM
My friend has Epilepsy and she had a seizure bc i was watching the "Jimmy James" video. <true story.

Oooh, that's for real? What a coincedence! :eek: Hey, where do you get the Jimmy James video?

minorthreat
07-05-2005, 05:11 AM
when i saw them live there wasn't much strobe lighting at all, and when there was (during sabotage) adrock wore sunglasses. dunno if that helps or what...

MCPG
07-07-2005, 12:18 PM

Yes, he has 2 aids. They help him on tour because he is very busy and can't do a lot of things for himself like laundry or banking, etc. In fact all 3 of the Beastie Boys have aids. These personal aids, or assistants are apparently irreplaceable and they could not live without them.

MCPG
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
hey, aren't seizures named after julius caesar cuz he always got them? i dunno, i think i heard that somewhere.

I think they call them SEIZures because they cause SEIZing of the muscles. Whoever told you that is a know nothing know it all.

adrock14
09-07-2005, 05:36 PM
i had a seizure once. very scary. i felt like i had fell out of bed but realized that it was more serious because everyone was panicking. i went to the emergancy room and found out everything was all right. but it is a very scary thing... :(

kezz
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
awww, that's sad. you'd think he'd have seizures while performing cuz of all the crazy lights and stuff...... hey, aren't seizures named after julius caesar cuz he always got them? i dunno, i think i heard that somewhere.....oooh! "ch-check it" is on much music right now.

actually, caserians are named after julius caeser because it is thought he was the first recorded person to be delivered this way.

when i was at uni, as part of the occupational health and safety bit, we had to tell them whether we had epilepsy cos the flickering fluorescent lights can trigger seizures. we had a lot of flickering lights.