PDA

View Full Version : for jajumbo et al...

Daisy
06-26-2004, 07:42 AM
I'm making salsa for this baptism (the dad digs it apparently)

*Chopped tomatoes (I get 4 LARGE ones at a minimum)
*Chopped White onion (1 LARGE)

- here is where personal taste come in. I like my salsa with a ton of tomatoes, but some like a lot of onion. You have to play with the recipe.

*1 LARGE clove of garlic, minced or pressed
*1 small chopped green pepper
*1 - 2 chopped jalepeno pepper - for less heat seed it first

- for the baptism it will be one pepper and it will be seeded but I made a special ass burning batch for the Dad to keep. ;)

*1 "bunch" of chopped cilantro - the stores sell in a bunch
*The juice of about 4 lemons and 4 limes

Chill - I wouldn't mess with it for at least 3 hours but it's even better the next day because everything has had time to blend.

jabumbo
06-26-2004, 05:12 PM
i like when threads are directed my way!

i will definetly give this recipie a shot at some point...and it will be the "ass burning" kind...i like it warm and fuzzy inside.

i imagine that i could substitute the jalepoenos with another spicy pepper of any kind? i tend to overuse the jalepeno, and like something else when i can

also, is the cilantro needed? and how would it taste without?

thanks!

Daisy
06-26-2004, 08:43 PM
I think cilantro is needed but if you hate it then you can omit it. You can try a serrano or a habanero if you would like instead...they are hotter peppers though.

:)

jabumbo
06-26-2004, 08:48 PM
im not really sure if i like cilantro or not...just wondering because mom says she never buys it regularly...its all good though

and the hotter the better my dear!

Daisy
06-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Buy some and try it. It's great in salads. You just have to wash it really well.

It's our Guinea Pigs favorite veggie.. :D

jabumbo
06-28-2004, 10:14 AM
what would you think to replacing one of those tomatoes with say...a mango or another fruit with some body like that?

ms.peachy
06-28-2004, 10:32 AM
I loooove cilantro, but it is a very strong flavor so some people won't care for it.

In addition, about 25% of people (give or take, depending on the ethnicity of the region) do not produce a certain enzyme in their saliva (I can't remember what it's called right now because it just a bunch of letters and a number like JU4 or something). For those people that do not produce that enzyme, when they try to eat cilantro, they report it as tasting very "soapy", like if someone put dishwashing liquid in the food, and so even a little bit in a dish can put them right off it.

But if you like it like I do, mmm, is it good stuff!

Daisy
06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
what would you think to replacing one of those tomatoes with say...a mango or another fruit with some body like that?

I have a mango salsa recipe that I can post a little later on. I'm cataloging all of my recipes so my partner and I have duplicates. When I find it, I'll post it.

You could do mango but I don't know how the flavor will match with some of the other stuff. My mango salsa has a lot of avacado in it and I usually put it over grilled salmon.

You could always try it!

jabumbo
06-28-2004, 08:54 PM
well...im not a big fan of avocado...

i was just thinking of making a nice hot salsa for chips and stuff and add alittle fruit...

(y) (y)