PDA

View Full Version : the best damned oatmeal raisin cookie recipe EVER

cosmo105
07-01-2004, 11:13 AM
this is my grandma's recipe she clipped from a newspaper or something sometime in the 50s.
preheat oven to 375 (it says 400, but my oven runs a bit hot, so i turn it down) and grease some cookie sheets, yo.
Mix together thoroughly...
1/2 cup soft shortening
1 and 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
6 tbsp. molasses
Sift together and stir in...
1 and 3/4 cups SIFTED white flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp.salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Stir in...
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups rolled oats

Drop rounded teaspoonfuls (make sure they're small...otherwise they'll spread out too much and get goopy and stuck together) about 2" apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake about 6-10 minutes until lightly browned. And I do mean lightly. These babies bake fast, so watch them like a hawk and the instant you see them start to lose that fatty shine and start to turn brown, take them out unless you want them crunchy. They're much better a little chewy. It takes some practice, but they're worth the work.

Side notes:
*Liquid egg replacers work very well in this recipe. I've never tried powder, though, so I don't know how those work with this one.
*Everyone in my family loves this recipe. My brother made some for his future parents-in-law, and they loved them so much, they asked for the recipe and made some when they got back home to Taiwan. Trouble was, they couldn't find molasses anywhere, so they had to go to a specialty "American Food" store to find it. They were nuts about them, and seriously considered opening up their own line of cookie shops because there was nothing like that over there.
*This makes quite a few cookies. Spread them out well, because they flatten out like whoa. I use at least 3 cookie sheets.
*Make sure you mix the raisins before the oats. Otherwise, the mix gets too lumpy to distribute them evenly.
*You can add some chopped walnuts if you want, right before you add the oats...but why ruin a good thing with walnuts?

NicRN77
07-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I LOVE oatmeal raisin cookies!! I am definitely going to have to try this recipe out.

jabumbo
07-01-2004, 02:00 PM
and grease some cookie sheets, yo.

i might try it just because you told me to grease some sheets yo (y)

im not a fan of raisens in my cookies...so maybe ill try it without them...eh?

cosmo105
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
ahh! you HAVE TO HAVE THE RAISINS!
well, i'm sure they're good without, but come on!
maybe you could try chopped dried apricots or something?
NO.
FUCK THAT. USE RAISINS.

Echewta
07-01-2004, 02:54 PM
i don't like raisins in my food :(

Audielicious
07-01-2004, 03:10 PM
I've been looking for a good Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe, but haven't found any that I really liked. I'm going to try yours. Thanks! (y)

jabumbo
07-10-2004, 10:43 PM
dried apricots? are you fuckin serious? i would choke on a chicken before i ate that crap...

and the only time i really enjoy raisens in with my wheaties or covered in chocolate via raisenettes or whatever theyre called...

poist
07-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Cosmo if I could find your grandmother I would make out with her. These are the best goddamn cookies ever in the history of the world and cookies. Oh and I don't like raisins in food, but the raisins work. I'm off to buy some milk for these suckers.

val dub
08-04-2004, 06:58 PM
i might try it just because you told me to grease some sheets yo (y)

im not a fan of raisens in my cookies...so maybe ill try it without them...eh?
you can sub choc chips or dried cherries.trust me it'll be good

cosmo105
08-04-2004, 09:08 PM
poist, my grandma's still waiting for that makeout session. she doesn't have much time left, you know.

cosmo105
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
molasses is good stuff. i use extra dark organic and it makes them taste a lot more robust. the only thing is, because it's so dark, it's harder to tell when the cookies are done.

wavin_goodbye
07-15-2005, 09:57 PM
i always thought you were a vegan... :confused:

cosmo105
07-16-2005, 12:46 PM
i always thought you were a vegan... :confused:
i am. didn't you see where i said egg replacers work well? this is just the old school recipe. i just took out the eggs for myself. i bake them with eggs when i'm making them for anyone else, though.

HEIRESS
07-16-2005, 05:52 PM
I am up for the challenge....
do you know any recipes with cranberries in the cookie?
thats what I was looking for when I found your recipe.

a cookie dough base is a cookie dough base

replace the raisins in this one with cranberries
or use both

I find lemon cookies with cranberries are pretty fucking good

cosmo105
07-17-2005, 12:59 AM
^i had the most amazing cookie that was orange with cranberries and walnuts. omfg. i don't even like walnuts, but god damn.

wavin_goodbye
07-17-2005, 10:51 PM
i am. didn't you see where i said egg replacers work well? this is just the old school recipe. i just took out the eggs for myself. i bake them with eggs when i'm making them for anyone else, though.

oh ok that's what i was wondering.. ( i didn't see the egg replacers thing, i don't even know what those are)

that's interesting that you use eggs when cooking for other people though.. i take it your veganism has more to do with not putting icky stuff in your body rather than animal cruelty..?

cosmo105
07-18-2005, 12:11 AM
no, actually, it does have more with my ethical beliefs. i'm VERY health-minded, but i could always go with organic meats/dairy if it was just that.

however, i bake and cook nonvegan for others because i don't want to make them have to make the compromises i do. it's a personal choice, and i don't force it upon others. if they wanted to try it vegan, i'd be more than happy to do it that way. but making things vegan can sometimes be a major pain in the ass, too, so sometimes it's easier to just give the meaties their precious eggs :)

wavin_goodbye
07-18-2005, 10:41 AM
cool...

my sis is vegan (i'm just a lowly vegetarian), and whenever she bakes she does it vegan... and everyone understands and wouldn't even think of complaining... the fact that she is baking for us is noticed, and we see no reason why she should compromise her beliefs just to suit others.. when there is little difference in taste anyway (not to mention the fact that it's much healthier)

beastiegirrl101
07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
just got the oatmeal chunk ice cream from ben and jerry's...OMG...go get it now.