PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Rolling Stone Junio 2004

b-grrrlie
07-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Now my spanish isn't good enough to translate this, so maybe someone can make a try:
(sorry some of them are huge, they're two-page spreads)
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/9350/coverx.jpg
http://img39.exs.cx/img39/4074/index2.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/2176/5319.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/807/5318.jpg
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/9748/3163.jpg

and here's the hip hop albums you just have to listen to sometime in your life:
http://img39.exs.cx/img39/7750/2831.jpg

hawaii50
07-04-2004, 05:00 PM
i dont speak spanish whatsoever, but from my awesome high school spanish skills i tried to translate at least the beginning...

the title area says “they were punks, cultural agressors, pioneers of their generation, and then Buddhists, a long time before they had something(?) in other words, they aren’t surpassed by anyone in whichever place."

They have had 25 years in hip hop and rap. To celebrate, we have made a special CD that includes exclusive songs from Beastie Boys, NERD, Eminem and D12, plus others. Furthermore, (I have no idea what this sentence says.) Today, hip hop and rap have a huge following all over the world. Mexico is no exception (remember how many people were at the 50 cent concert)? A lot of people can say they are all equal, but thanks to a labor of investigation we will explain to you the difference. We also have information on the history of hip hop. And there’s a bit more – (?) we have a selection of the best albums of this generation. How you will celebrate. (I think I made up that last sentence, but it’s something to that effect.)

They began their career almost as a game, but with time their work was appreciated. They were one of the most popular and influential groups of the eighties and a good part of the 90s. they initiated the art of “sampling” in 1983, in a political context, and they were social activists. Something about playing instruments…”hardcore people” in essence, their rap influence caused them to become the most respected white group in the history of hip hop.

i tried!

mikedzlilfreak
07-04-2004, 05:12 PM
UMM YEA....SOMEBODY PLEASE TRANSLATE IT...

hawaii50
07-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Normally, it would take various years to go disc to disc, but in this occasion there were too many…
Mike: We had high expectancies, so it took us a long time.
There have been two presidents since the last cd…
Adam: Good point.
Mike: And if we had waited a little while, there would have been three, so we had to hurry to get this album out.
Why did it take so much time?
Adam: We don’t know, we were resting and then we worked on the anthologies, after that we didn’t feel like working on it. Time kept passing, and eventually 6 years had gone by.
Mike: Or more. When you have a cd, you are expecting various factors that determine the frequency in which you have to record: one of these is the capital you have to have to put it out. (I don’t know.)
Adam: I was going to tell you my theory on numerology. Normally we take 3 years to put out a cd. There have been times where it’s taken 4, but it can be 2. I want to say that we take time off before each cd, so that we can continue with the average of a disc every 3 years.

More soon…

hawaii50
07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
In the last 6 years, hip hop has changed a lot. What do you make of the scene today?
Adam: I think that it has evolved, now there’s enormous people who follow hip hop.
Mike: To me, hip hop is put in a new light. There are albums that come out and change everything, and they influence a lot of others.
In the song “Hey Fuck you” there’s a part where you say “you people call yourselves MC’s but youre garbage men, takin’ out the trash when you pull out the pen.” Is there a lot of trash in hip hop?
Adrock: There is a lot of trash everywhere.
Mike: These days I see a lot of trash, someone should take it out. I also sing trash sometimes.
What artists do you respect?
Mike: There are so many. Run DMC, Public Enemy, Nas, Missy Elliot, Outkast, Biz Markie, and booggie down productions.
Adam: spoonie Gee, funkie 4+1 and Fat Boys.
Adrock: Chuck D and doctor ice.

The new songs talk a lot about different cultures. Is this the theme of the new disc?
Adam: It’s about new york particularly, but yeah, you could say that.

mikedzlilfreak
07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
lol i live mike...but in this convo he seems so serious.

hawaii50
07-04-2004, 05:38 PM
The narrative of these songs is important and with the idea that your music touches on other cultures, what happens if the point doesn’t come off as it was intended?
Mike: It could be that different people take things differently, but also you can win as soon as you get the perception of other people, because then you can grasp their different ways.
A lot of people make songs once they can understand.
Mike: And that’s good, they can make their own version of a new song, that’s what all music is in essence. When you don’t exactly understand a song, there are certain things that register and then you convert them to whichever language. You don’t have to understand the language, you can still understand the music from somewhere else.
Adrock: There are a lot of songs in Spanish that I love and I don’t have the smallest idea of what they’re saying. It’s simply sentiment – the feeling that you get when you hear the music.
Mike: I love portugese, I love the music of that language, like Caetano Veloso.

How were you introduced to Buddhism?
Adam: I was reading, and I got more interested as I read. I also studied and had more feelings about it after that.

ChicoMan
07-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Buena, b-grrrlie (y)

Thanks for putting this up.

Hawaii50, good job. One correction I gotta point out though. When MCA's talking about the time between albums:

MCA: "I'm gonna give you a numerological theory. Normally we take 3 years between discs. There was one time that took us 4 years, but the next one came out in 2. That means that maybe we'll put out another album within 1 year, to keep up our average of one disc every three years."

Me: this is the second time I've heard of MCA saying that there might be a new album real soon. I wonder if it's just a joke, or if there's something behind this?

b-grrrlie
07-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the translation Hawaii50!

I'm not used to written Spanish, I understand more the spoken word. But I do get the end there, that the Beasties, after a long pause, have returned to claim the crown of a biggest hiphop band, that has belonged to them for a long time.

(Am I right?)

EriNNa
07-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Next time i´ll help you, i´m argentinian.. so i understand spanish perfectly, i would have helped you before... but i´m new... so i saw this late, but next time... i´ll be there :) !!!!
Good Life to everyone there, from here...

gratitude
07-18-2004, 04:56 PM
i have those exact same shoes mike is wearing in picture #3.

Spanishbomb808
08-17-2004, 12:19 AM
I bought this mag back in Tj last month, and I have it right here. I'll do the honorable thing and translate. Translate every single thing, even what the author throws in. I'm sure you'll all appreciate the effort, even though others have pretty much done al of it already:

Cover:

Beastie Boys: The most important hip-hop band reclaims it's throne.

Page 1:

Everyone's talking about hip-hop:
It's been 25 years of hip-hop. To celebrate, we bring you a collection-worthy special that includes exclusive interviews with the Beastie Boys, NERD, Eminem and d12, among others. In addition, learn about the evolution of these genres and the feud that exists between East Coast and West Coast rappers. These days, hip-hop and rap have plenty of followers around the world. Mexico is no exception (remember the expectation for the 50 cent concert?). Many can say that these genres are the same, but thanks to our investigation, we'll explain the differences between them. Also, you'll have information about key characters in hip-hop and rap's history. And, as if that weren't enough, we made a list of the best records in these genres. Enjoy.

(Caption in the box reads: And now, the "Lil' Beasties.")

I'll keep on posting, I just don't wanna jam it all into one spot.

Spanishbomb808
08-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Page 38:

Beastie Boys
For the masters, with love.

They were punks, cultural aggressors, pioneers of their generation and even Budhists, long before that was seen in a good way. In other words, they ursurp everyone and everything anyplace.

They began almost as a joke, but with the passing of time, their work has been appreciated; they were one of the most popular and influential groups of the mid 80s and for a good part of the 90s. They began sampling with turntables in 1983, in a political and activist context. Their strength, based in their lyrical intensity, was embellished by the use of instruments in their presentations. Essentially "Hardcore folk," the bone-deep rap influence allowed them to become the most respected and succesfull white group in hip-hop's history.

Page 39: Caption reads: "Adam gasses AdRock and Mike D." I'm guessing it's due to the smelly shoes.

Spanishbomb808
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Darn, the interview. Well, here goes:

Page 40: Caption: "Mike D is nervous about AdRock" (Although, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.)

Our encounter was in the heart where everything we know about them surged from, in an officie of an old and traditional south Manhattan, ny building, a place to create and record.
Adam Yauch (MCA) and Mike Diamond (Mike D) appear jolly, and in their own way, they coment about their new album, To The 5 Boroughs, which required 6 years to finally see the light.

Normally, you took several years between records, but this time it was too many...
Mike: We reached a very high level, and we took a long time.
It's been two presidents since the last disk...
Adam: Good point.
Mike : And if we don't hurry, it's gonna be three... here comes another one. So we'd better hustle in getting this new album out there.
Why did it take you such a long time?
Adam: We don't know, we took a break then worked on the anthologies, and since then we've been working on this disk. What would've taken a year took two, what would've taken two took four, and that's how time passed. Suddenly, six years had gone by.
Mike: Or a month. When you're making an album, you're exposed to various factors that determine how often you get to record it: one of them is the amount of money you have to get into a studio for a certain amount of time; we didn't lack any. We just eased ourselves from time's pressures and worked until we were aware that we couldn't do it forever.
Adam: I'm gonna give you a numerological theory. Normally, we take three years in between our disks. There was an occasion when we took 4, but the next one came out in two years. [Spanishbomb's Note: It's the other way around, isn't it?] This means that maybe we'll release another disk before a year goes by, in order to maintain our three-year average.

I'll leave it there. I'll leave "The making of Paul's Boutique" alone, and I'll begin the next entry with the paragraph stub that's left over.

But man, that last line grilled me! I thought everyone would be abuzz about it, but it seems they only told Mexico's guy.

Wishfull thinking would hope that he meant it, but it's totally unlikely. Although, come on, don't we all want them to keep that beautiful average intact?

And hey, they did take their time and, maybed produced a plethora of material.

SpuffyRJ
08-20-2004, 02:23 PM
i have those exact same shoes mike is wearing in picture #3.
the plain white ones?..they're really nice =)

SpuffyRJ
08-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Now my spanish isn't good enough to translate this, so maybe someone can make a try:
(sorry some of them are huge, they're two-page spreads)
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/9350/coverx.jpg
http://img39.exs.cx/img39/4074/index2.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/2176/5319.jpg
http://img15.exs.cx/img15/807/5318.jpg
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/9748/3163.jpg

and here's the hip hop albums you just have to listen to sometime in your life:
http://img39.exs.cx/img39/7750/2831.jpg

thanks for posting. i don't understand spanish but the pics are awesome =)

Spanishbomb808
08-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Dude, what the hell was the point of that?

Once is bloody enough.