PDA

View Full Version : salad days

ms.peachy
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I love this time of year, when there are so many good yummy veggies coming into season and the farmer's market tables are just overflowing.

Today this guy wanted to sell me six cucumbers for a pound. I'd not planned to buy so many but what the hell, So I made a lurvly cucumber salad to go with dinner. Easy, tasty and like zero fat, for those of you that worry about that sort of thing.

Here's what ye need:

some cucumbers, der
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
salt
pepper
fresh dill (dried will do, but this time of year fresh should be easy to get, at least in this hemisphere)

If the cukes are organic, then wash them an leave skin on. If it's not organic (or yo want it a little less crunchy) then peel first.

Slice thinly. If you've got a food processor that does nice thin slices, cool. Can I borrow it?

Mix the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together and let them sit a bit so the sugar and salt dissolve. Chop the dill.

Dump the vinegar mix and the dill into the bowl with the cuke slices and toss it around for a bit. I recommend putting it in the firdge and letting it sit for a bit before serving, to let the flavours mingle. Toss it again before serving.

Mmm.

Tompz
07-05-2004, 03:49 PM
yeah i know that recipe. it's good. but since i cut the bejesus out of my finger when slicing a cuke, i lay low on 'em.

they should breed cucumbers with funky flavours, i suppose that's just a matter of time. pizza-flavour.

HEIRESS
07-05-2004, 08:22 PM
I love this time of year, when there are so many good yummy veggies coming into season and the farmer's market tables are just overflowing.

Today this guy wanted to sell me six cucumbers for a pound. I'd not planned to buy so many but what the hell, So I made a lurvly cucumber salad to go with dinner. Easy, tasty and like zero fat, for those of you that worry about that sort of thing.

Here's what ye need:

some cucumbers, der
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
salt
pepper
fresh dill (dried will do, but this time of year fresh should be easy to get, at least in this hemisphere)

If the cukes are organic, then wash them an leave skin on. If it's not organic (or yo want it a little less crunchy) then peel first.

Slice thinly. If you've got a food processor that does nice thin slices, cool. Can I borrow it?

Mix the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together and let them sit a bit so the sugar and salt dissolve. Chop the dill.

Dump the vinegar mix and the dill into the bowl with the cuke slices and toss it around for a bit. I recommend putting it in the firdge and letting it sit for a bit before serving, to let the flavours mingle. Toss it again before serving.

Mmm.

OH man I adore cucumber salads

I add regular vinegar too

plus a little olive oil, thyme, and parsley
and tomatoes or radishes if they are kicking around

I never use store bought salad dressing either
they are so easy to make too

best kinds, especially with spinach and nut salads are ones using just vinegar, oil, salt pepper, and a big slash of a citrus fruit juice
fresh squeezed is best
grapefruit is my favorite