PDA

View Full Version : YM Magazine- Beastie Boys' Biggest Fan 8/2004

Audielicious
07-07-2004, 10:38 AM
I was flipping through YM Magazine and was surprised when I saw Adrock's face. There's an interview with him and it's conducted by Good Charlotte's Benji, even though I think they messed up and put a picture of Joel on the page. :rolleyes: Anyway, I don't have my scanner hooked up but I figured I'd type it out. Hope that's okay.

Beastie Boys' BIGGEST FAN
ONCE GOOD CHARLOTTE'S BENJI MADDEN STOPPED HYPERVENTILATING, HIS INTERVIEW WITH ADAM HOROVITZ WENT JUST FINE.

When I was in first grade, while everyone else was impersonating Michael Jackson and Paula Abdul for Rock Star Day at school, my friends and I dressed up like the Beastie Boys. At 15, I went to my first big concert: the Beastie Boys' Ill Communication Tour. It was at 8 p.m. on May 13, 1995, and I remember every detail. After that show, I knew music was what I had to do. That's why I was so psyched when ym asked me to interview Adam "Adrock" Horovitz.

BENJI: Hey, Adam. When Good Charlotte's not doing our thing, I write for teen magazines. No, seriously, man, you guys have been my favorite band since first grade.

ADAM:Really, wow.

BENJI: Your new album came out in June- how would you describe it?

ADAM:It's called To the 5 Boroughs as sort of a tribute to New York City. The last few records have had instruments and hippie jams, but this is all rap. My best friend said, "Wow, it sounds like the old, old days," so I guess it's more like Licensed To Ill.

BENJI: Do you write songs with fans in mind?

ADAM:You can't make records to please other people. If you do, you're not making art, you're making a product.

BENJI: That's good advice for artists coming up: don't sell out.

ADAM:We've been around for 20 years, but this is only our sixth album. We got lucky that people bought our records so we could afford to take our time. I never thought I'd be making a living doing this.

BENJI:What's your relationship like with the other two Beastie Boys [Adam Yauch, aka MCA, and Mike Diamond, aka Mike D.]?

ADAM:It's totally family. I couldn't imagine it being a job where we couldn't hang out and have fun. Back in the day, we were just three kids into the hardcore and graffiti scenes. Sure, we're a lot older now, but we're those same stupid kids.

BENJI:Is touring still exciting for you?

ADAM:You bug out being in front of so many people- that doesn't change. I don't get nervous, though, except when my friends or my girlfriend are in the audience. If they think it's wack, it's the biggest letdown.

BENJI:What music are you listening to now?

ADAM:Late '60s, early '70s bubblegum by these producers Kasenetz and Katz. You'd really like their stuff, because it's melodic and they influenced groups like the Ramones.

BENJI:Cool, I'm gonna check them out. So I look up to the Beastie Boys, but who do you admire?

ADAM:Public Enemy, Run-DMC, Bad Brains. You know who I was really excited to meet? Will Ferrell. We met him in 1998 when we were on Saturday Night Live and we were all starstruck.

BENJI:Can you tell I'm nervous? I'm starstruck now!*

computer_action
07-07-2004, 11:22 AM
That's funny seeing as I got the magazine right now and I could not believe that it was him. I had to read the paragraph so that it can confirm that it is in fact Adrock. I wouldn't expect him to be in a girlie magazine. He seemed strangely open with him [Joel] and then with other people, like when he's with the other boys, he's really quite and barely says much. I felt like the interview was rigged, haha. :p

Audielicious
07-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I was surprised to see him in there too. For those who are wondering, yes, the interview really does end awkwardly like that. I thought there'd be more questions, but I guess they didn't have the room or the time for 'em.

FuzzyBeastie
07-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Yes! He mentioned Will Ferrell! SCORE.

sorry, i'm a nerd. :D

Audielicious
07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Yes! He mentioned Will Ferrell! SCORE.

sorry, i'm a nerd. :D

Then I'm a nerd too, because that made me smile as well. I love Will Ferrell. :D

Rodie
07-07-2004, 05:17 PM
FERRELL FOR PRESIDENT!

georgie girl
07-07-2004, 05:55 PM
That's funny seeing as I got the magazine right now and I could not believe that it was him. I had to read the paragraph so that it can confirm that it is in fact Adrock. I wouldn't expect him to be in a girlie magazine. He seemed strangely open with him [Joel] and then with other people, like when he's with the other boys, he's really quite and barely says much. I felt like the interview was rigged, haha. :p

Yes, I agree that it is a weird forum (YM??!?) and an unlikely interviewer (aren't the Good Charlotte guys kind of toolish?), but it seems to work here. I have also noticed how Adrock is rarely outspoken and even more rarely serious in interviews, so when he does say something it's totally like some EF Hutton shit. I really love what he says about art vs. product. That's like, the very crux of what's screwy about music today. He just put it so simply, and it is in fact very simple, and yet it seems that the majority of artists, at least from a critical standpoint, are more concerned with marketing than they are with creating. Then again, maybe Adrock, being a Beastie Boy, having this fan base of apparent psychos like us, having been in the game for 20 years, maybe he's just in a position where he can say that, because he has the security of knowing that he ain't just a flash in the pan (like Good Charlotte). On the other hand, being familiar with the Beasties' entire body of work, I feel confident saying that they have most likely always had this "zen" perspective in which they don't concern themselves with what the fans might want. And personally that's what keeps me as a fan. Yet simultaneously, it's what causes them to experiment and diverge from past formulas, thereby pissing off many less forgiving fans who then post on this forum that they are divorcing the Beastie Boys or whatever. It's some Jedi mind shit for sure. Thanks again for transcribing it, Audie.

BeastNC
07-07-2004, 06:07 PM
FERRELL FOR PRESIDENT!

Nice I agree!

mikedzlilfreak
07-07-2004, 06:37 PM
ahh mann i need to pick up that issue but i love those pics from spike jonze in the spin mag oh and theres another mag with bboys on cover with kaye and this other dude.its called complex..mike d looks hot in the picture(reallly hot)

monkey
07-07-2004, 09:08 PM
There's an interview with him and it's conducted by Good Charlotte's Benji, even though I think they messed up and put a picture of Joel on the page. :rolleyes:

ok... not for nothing... but arent those boys twins? how in the world would you know who's who? WHY in the world do you know? ahh forget it.
thanks for transcribing it...

Audielicious
07-07-2004, 09:21 PM
ok... not for nothing... but arent those boys twins? how in the world would you know who's who? WHY in the world do you know? ahh forget it.
thanks for transcribing it...

Yeah, they're twins but they don't really look similar. I don't know why I can tell them apart...maybe because they're on MTV a whole fucking lot?

You're welcome. :cool: