PDA

View Full Version : Teen People - Summer 2004

liberty_a320
07-07-2004, 10:41 PM
The YM Magazine thread reminded me about a Teen People article I found a couple weeks ago. :p Below are the scans. Learned that Adam Horovitz left one high school because of a terrible audition for the school's production of "Oliver!" ...

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v162/liberty_a320/teenpeople1.jpg

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v162/liberty_a320/teenpeople2.jpg

Deep_Sea_Rain
07-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Can anyone transcribe this?

Mido
07-08-2004, 01:07 AM
I can read it.

liberty_a320
07-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Can anyone transcribe this?

OK. I'm workin' on it. My bad, it's just that Photobucket won't host pics larger than that.

liberty_a320
07-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Beastie Boys Are Back

With their first studio album in six years, To the 5 Boroughs, about to drop, Mike D, MCA and Ad-Rock sat down with Trendspotter Mary Houlihan, 14, to talk about their high school years.

Teen People: What did you like best about high school?

Mike D: I had to take the subway pretty far – from the Upper West Side [of Manhattan] to Brooklyn Heights – and I learned a lot on those rides back and forth. That’s when I first heard a lot about hip-hop battle tapes. I learned how not to look at people in the eye [laughs]. I became very good at balancing my textbook in one hand and doing my homework standing up at 7 am.

Ad-Rock: I went to this thing called City-As-School, where you worked jobs for school credit, kind of like internships. I worked at a restaurant, and I worked at a recording studio. I learned how to get doughnuts and make coffee and [clean] things real good – for credit!

TP: What did you hate about high school?

Ad-Rock: I hated getting up so early. Why couldn’t everybody just start a little later? We should do a benefit show for that. “Just a Little Later” – that’ll be our slogan.

TP: Speaking of causes, a lot of lyrics on your new album are political. Were you politically involved in high school?

MCA: I used to go to “no nukes” demonstrations in junior high. But I also went through phases where I just focused on music and hung out with my friends.

Mike D: I think that one of the misconceptions that younger people have is that if you’re politically involved or speak your mind, that means you don’t have a sense of humor.

TP: So, what did you guys do for fun?

MCA: My main focus was punk and hardcore. That’s how [we all] met. We went to different high schools, but we were into the same bands, so we met up in clubs. Most of the people that hung out at these shows ended up forming bands of their own, and Beastie Boys was one of those bands.

Ad-Rock: We weren’t trying to get a record deal. We were all just hanging out, having fun.

Mike D: We weren’t an episode of [VH1’s] Driven. We weren’t like, “Oh, my God, we’re gonna be on Star Search.” We just really loved music and had fun hanging out together, and that’s what we did. We were sort of geeks – I spent all my money on records. My mom would give me lunch money, and I’d just get a bagel with butter because it was cheap and save the money to shop at cool records stores.

TP: Did you do any extracurricular activities?

Ad-Rock: I did some sports, and I was in some school plays.

Mike D: Oliver!

Ad-Rock: Yes, I actually dropped out of [one] school because of Oliver! I did plays, and then [my school] decided to do a musical. I played in bands and I would yell a little, but I’d never sing. So I sang [for the audition], just in front of the music teacher and a couple of other kids, and I was like, “Oh, my God, that was terrible.” I was so embarrassed about my singing that I left after the audition and never went back to that school. I graduated from another school.

Mike D: That’s what I mean about how we weren’t like the kids on Driven. If Justin Timberlake had auditioned for Oliver!, he would have gotten the lead.

Ad-Rock: They should make a hip-hop version of Oliver! with Justin Timberlake.

Mike D: Yeah, and the Artful Dodger could be… Chingy!

Ad-Rock: Or Ol’ Dirty Bastard.

TP: What do you know now that you wish you’d known in high school?

Ad-Rock: It’s crazy now how much pressure there is on younger people. [I didn’t go to a school] where there was the pressure of having a Prada bag. I had no idea what a Prada bag looked like, and now anyone in high school knows all this stuff. All of the stuff that’s really stressing you out, if it’s not life threatening, then it’s not really a big deal. I remember being a kid and so stressed out over stupid things, like drama between this person and that person. It will work itself out.

Deep_Sea_Rain
07-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Thanks.

hotzappa11
07-08-2004, 04:19 AM
does anyone know what that Timeline says?

thanks

mikedzlilfreak
07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
do u remebr who was on the cover so i can pick up a copy and it didnt say the month?????cause all you put was summer?so would that be june july?august?im a lil confuzzeld thanks anyways.

Auton
07-08-2004, 04:08 PM
nice (y)

thanks for posting that, liberty!

computer_action
07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Ad-Rock: It’s crazy now how much pressure there is on younger people. [I didn’t go to a school] where there was the pressure of having a Prada bag. I had no idea what a Prada bag looked like, and now anyone in high school knows all this stuff. All of the stuff that’s really stressing you out, if it’s not life threatening, then it’s not really a big deal. I remember being a kid and so stressed out over stupid things, like drama between this person and that person. It will work itself out.

How true. I can relate to that. I hate how materialistic High School as gotten as opposed to HS back then. I mean, I go to HS now but I seriously can't wait to graduate next year. It's rediculous.

Anyway, thanks for the the pics and the transcription!

mikedzlilfreak
07-08-2004, 04:27 PM
So anybody know.foreal,Im serious

liberty_a320
07-09-2004, 12:31 AM
do u remebr who was on the cover so i can pick up a copy and it didnt say the month?????cause all you put was summer?so would that be june july?august?im a lil confuzzeld thanks anyways.

There's a dominant photo of Hilary Duff (ick) on the cover, with these smaller pics of people like Justin Timberlake, Good Charlotte, Usher and Britney surrounding it. It doesn't say the month, it just says "Summer 2004." It's a summer music special.

And the timeline reads:

"Beasties 101"
Beastie Boys burst onto the scene in the '80's with a loud, lewd mix of hip-hop and rock. Over the years, the trio decided to address issues other than boobs and beer, taking on human rights, religious freedom and censorship. Here's some must-know info on the pioneers who fought for their right to party... and so much more.

1980 - The NYC teens decide to form a band after seeing groundbreaking punk act Black Flag, fronted by Henry Rollins, perform.

1985 - Mike D (Mike Diamond), Ad-Rock (Adam Horovitz) and MCA (Adam Yauch) sign with Def Jam Records. They were one of the label's first artists, along with LL Cool J and Slick Rick.

1986 - Their first album, Licensed to Ill, sold more than 9 million copies worldwide and was the first rap album to reach No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

1989-1991 - Ad-Rock wasn't too traumatized by Oliver!... he flexed his acting muscle in several movies, including Lost Angels (1989) and A Kiss Before Dying (1991).

1990 - After MCA's early '90's conversion to Buddhism, the Boys founded the Milarepa Fund to fight oppression in Tibet.

1991 - Stylin' guy Mike D was one of the original investors in the urban-wear clothing line X-Large.

1993 - The Boys founded the now-defunct Grand Royal, one of the first hip-hop/rock magazines with a social conscience.

1996 - A rap group with an instrumental CD? Yep - The In Sound from the Way Out proved these guys could play.

1998 - Their fifth full-length album, Hello Nasty, was inspired by their press reps at a company called Nasty Little Man, who answered the phones with, "Hello, Nasty."

1999 - They won an MTV Video Music Award for their futuristic video, "Intergalactic."

2004 - This year's To the 5 Boroughs is Beastie Boys' first studio album since 1998.

Audielicious
07-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks so much for typing that all out! (y) I saw a magazine with Hilary Duff on it today, but when I flipped through it I didn't see that article, so now I know to look for the Summer Music Issue one.

Mary-Kate
07-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Cool! I was gonna get that magazine, and I never did, I sure should have!! and I LOVE the part when they talk about Justin Timberlake, my best friend is TOTALLY obsessed with him, so it's funny, and awesome!!!

liberty_a320
07-18-2004, 04:34 AM
I figured out how to post bigger images a little while ago (see my other posts in this forum)... so after receiving a PM, I went back to this thread, rescanned the pages, and messed with the resolutions with the scanner software (it sucks not having Photoshop on my new comp)... all for your convenience. :)

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v162/liberty_a320/tp1.jpg

http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v162/liberty_a320/tp2.jpg

b-grrrlie
07-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks liberty for the scans and typing all that out!
I know that this mag will never reach my shores so I'm really greatful!

MCA: I used to go to “no nukes” demonstrations in junior high.
So he's always been into these "saving the earth"- things! There's just more and more similarities with him and me every year that goes by! I really wish I could find a man like MCA :o He's like the ideal man for me, all the goofy, artistic and serious sides considered!

adrockgirl369
07-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks vERY mUCH liberty_a320 !!

Same here (y)