PDA

View Full Version : soups

jabumbo
07-10-2004, 10:46 PM
i love to eat soup, period.

since ill have the opportunity to make some of my own meals this coming year at school, i would like to compile some soups that i could make. im looking for something i could make in a reasonable amount, and with ingredients preferably easy to purchase at the grocery store and easy on the wallet.

anything is appreciated though!

and the location of a free cookbook of sorts would be even better!

NicRN77
07-10-2004, 11:08 PM
This is a great soup I make every once in awhile. It really is a meal!! Also easy to make!

Southwestern Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil
8 oz. boneless skinless chicken, cubed
1/4 c diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (use fresh stuff, not the stuff in a jar...tastes better)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1-15 oz can kernal corn undrained
1-14 oz can chicken broth
1-15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-14 oz Mexican flavored diced tomatoes

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes stirring so won't stick. Stir in onions, garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder and red pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth, corn, beans, and tomatoes. Increase heat to high and boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

I always double the recipe and eat it for dinner all week long. I sometimes buy tortilla chips to dip into the soup too!

spacemonkey
07-11-2004, 03:45 AM
For real try it, it will be the bomb.

1 whole chicken big or small

fill the pot with water some will boil out so you'll get extra hungry from the smell

add 7 cloves of garlic cut up/ sliced or crushed
also a hand full of rice

boil and simmer after you got a big boil happening slowly turn the chicken over once or twice for 1 hour and a 1/2

you could serve the chicken outside of the soup with salt and pepper in a small bowl to dip bite size pieces of chicken as you eat. aww heck you could use any other of your favorites to dip.

or you could pick the the meat off the chicken and have the meatiest chicken soup. that's going traditional style. I guess.

anyway you'll find this soup will last for a few days keep in the fridge. if you can't eat all the chicken keep it in the broth. cooked well enough the meat will just about fall off the bone.

i think this soup is alot like cambells chicken and rice.

dude, take it from me I eat soup like 3 times a day... it's the south eastern asian thing. I can recommend more complex soups if you are near asian markets and or feeling adventurous. (y)

ms.peachy
07-11-2004, 04:29 AM
Oh, you are just so speaking my language now.

I am queen of soups.

OK here's a really simple easy one tha is absoultely ace if you feel you have a cold coming on. It's loaded with garlic and clears a stuffy head like you wouldn't believe. Plus for the vegans in the crowd, if you skip the grated cheese garnish at the end, it is a totally vegan recipe.

Creamy Celery and Garlic Soup

1 bunch celery, sliced, leaves removed
1 whole head of garlic, cloves seperated and peeled
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
7 cups water
2 buoillon cubes
tablespoon vegetable oil
3 whole sprigs fresh parsley

Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan/ soup pot and gently sautee onions until soft. Add celery and garlic and sautee a further 2 minutes. Add the potato, water, bouillon cubes and parsley, bring to a simmer. Cover and leave to simmer gently for 30 minutes. Remove parsley and discard.

This is the only hard part, if you do not have a hand blender: you've now got to puree the whole thing. If you ave ahand blender and can do it on the stovetop, great (I heartily endorse investing in a hand blender btw if you do a lot of cooking; I don't know how I ever lived without one.) If not you have to use a regular mixer in small batches.

Once it is all pureed smoothly though return it to the pot on low heat and reheat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

For a little extra flavour and flair, serve with fresh chopped parsley, or it is also very tasty with grated parmesan on top.

jabumbo
07-11-2004, 03:52 PM
thanks for the delicious sounding recipies...i will stock them up and hopefully try them out when im at school...

as for the proximity to an asian store, i work about 3 blocks from one, so i could get there prety easy, ill be working into august and then again in january after a semester for school

brooklyn_bred
07-12-2004, 03:53 AM
man fuck all that cooking shit, listen here ma, go cop a few cans of good ol chicken soup from progresso or campbells and call it a day

ms.peachy
07-12-2004, 04:04 AM
man fuck all that cooking shit, listen here ma, go cop a few cans of good ol chicken soup from progresso or campbells and call it a day
suit yourself. But in my experience any man that can't be arsed to cook is damn lazy in the sack as well. No appreciation of texture, colour, taste, smells, patience, and consuming passion :p

jabumbo
07-12-2004, 11:27 AM
suit yourself. But in my experience any man that can't be arsed to cook is damn lazy in the sack as well. No appreciation of texture, colour, taste, smells, patience, and consuming passion :p

ill make some of mom's world famous chili, when ya comin over? :D

ad for the canned stuff...ive had enough of that...last year my roommate would either have canned soup, spagheti o's or hot pockets like all the time, and i couldnt understand how he could eat that crap all the time...granted, i dont mind eating it, i just couldnt do it en-mass that he did...

and hey, if i can cook something real, its one more reason to ask the ladies to stop by...

and chunky soup beats progresso anyday

ms.peachy
07-12-2004, 11:41 AM
ill make some of mom's world famous chili, when ya comin over? :D

tyvm for the offer darling, but mr.peachy has expressly forbidden me from wanton cooking with strange men - he knows what it does to me...

KingPsyz
07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
i used to have my semi famous chili recipe up here before one of the several great crashes, have to try and remember that

i also have some recipies for clam chowder, but today i'm starting with my garlic roasted potato chowder.

serves alot(or freeze for future servings)
3lbs. small red potatos
several med. cloves of garlic
1 large yellow onion
finely shredded cheddar cheese
1lb. frozen corn kernals
1 bunch large bright green onions
1pkg. soy bacon/soy bacon bits
1/2tspn. red pepper flakes
1 large red bell pepper
1gal. whole milk
1pint heavy cream/whipping cream
cornstarch
2tblsp. olive oil
kosher salt
coarse grind pepper

preheat an oven to 400 F
in a large bowl place the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and halved red potatos(well washed & unpeeled). toss until potatos are completely covered and garlic is evenly distributed.
place the potatos skin side up on a large oiled baking sheet and place in oven until lightly browned.
in a large stock pot use any oil left in baking sheet and pour into pot, turn to a medium high heat. if needed add a little more olive oil. when the oil is hot, add diced yellow onion, diced red peppers, corn kernals,chopped soy bacon, and some chopped garlic. stir until onion starts to clarify, then reduce heat to medium and add whole milk, slowly. stir well and slowly add heavy cream, and potatos.
while waiting for soup to come to a simmer, mix one to one, corn starch and cold water until milky. place in freezer for the time being.
now as the soup starts a slow boil, be sure to keep it stired well to prevent scorching on the bottom, if it feels like it's starting to burn/stick DO NOT TRY AND SCRAPE IT UP!. leave it for the time being, it's possible to still save the soup. add diced green onion and soy bacon bits if you didn't use soy bacon. now take the cornstarch mixture and slowly incorporate into soup, stiring well.
watch soup closely as it will thicken fast at this point.
when it gets to that nice chowdery consistency, remove heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
let sit for 20 minutes or so and serve with shredded cheddar and red pepper flakes.

jabumbo
07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
tyvm for the offer darling, but mr.peachy has expressly forbidden me from wanton cooking with strange men - he knows what it does to me...

im not strange, im different :D

much love to the recipies thus far! keep them comin!

bdavid
07-13-2004, 11:04 AM
It's called Portugese chicken but really is a soup/stew

1 lb boneless chicken breast
2 medium sized potatoes cut into small pieces
1 chopped onion (big)
garlic (how much is up to you)
1 package chorizo (if you don't know what it is, it's a Mexican style sausage usually sold near the breakfast sausage but you can use the breakfast sausage that comes in a tube like Jimmy Dean if you're scared. I've even used Soyrizo- soy based chorizo)
1 bunch carrots chopped up
Can of chicken stock
Can of diced or stewed tomatoes- you pick
thyme
bay leaves

Boil the chicken in a separate pot on medium while you prepare. Boiling the chicken keeps it very moist. Season the water with thyme, bay leaf, pepper, salt.

Cut the casing off the chorizo and mash it up in the bottom of a soup pot. Add some olive oil. Let that cook over medium while you cut the veggies.

Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, some thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and a can of chicken stock. Stir around.

Let that cook a few minutes. Then add the can of diced tomatoes.

Take the chicken out of the boiling pot. Slice it up into like 1 inch pieces and throw in the soup. Scoop some of the water you boiled the chicken in and add to the soup. Simmer as long as you want.

I'm not great at writing recipes, I cook by feel so season how you want. You can add more chicken stock if you want it more watery. It may sound confusing because of the way I wrote it, but it's easy. I can make it in like 30 minutes. The chorizo gives in an awesome flavor.

Good luck. I love it.