PDA

View Full Version : breakfast drinks?

jabumbo
07-12-2004, 03:06 PM
the supplements thread in the beaste free section gave me the thought..so...

i never eat breakfast, but i really should, because im a puss...i would love to be able to whip something up at night, or in a couple minutes before i run out the door in the morning to give me some sustinance for the morning...

suggestions anyone?

dudeglove
07-12-2004, 03:12 PM
buy some frozen melon/pineapple chunks or something and use a food mixer to blend the hell out of them. Add milk and you've got a breakfast smoothie.

paulk
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I did this thing with a peeled, sectioned orange, a banana, some nonfat milk, flax seeds, vanilla frozen yogurt once. I think I'm forgetting something. I froze the banana first for a thicker consistency.

ms.peachy
07-12-2004, 03:35 PM
I did this thing with a peeled, sectioned orange, a banana, some nonfat milk, flax seeds, vanilla frozen yogurt once. I think I'm forgetting something. I froze the banana first for a thicker consistency.

nice!

Here's one for ya jabumbo, kind of similar to the above, and will really set you up for the mornin'.

1 banana (frozen if ya like)
2 or 3 dates (make sure they have no pits!)
a tablespoon of slivered almonds
a tablespoon of raw oats
cup of apple juice
cup of soy milk
tsp flax seed oil

Blenderise that baby right up till its smooth and thick and deeeegorgeous!

Also:

this time of year when berries are quite plentiful, I usually buy punnets and punnets of 'em and freeze them in the freezer in ziploc bags. For breakfast this morning I had a lurrrrvely smoothie of yogurt, soymilk, banana, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. And ya know what? I'm gonna have it again tomorrow too. Not quite as nutritionally complete as the one above, but still bloody good and good for ya.

jabumbo
07-13-2004, 11:06 AM
sounds like a plan. i work in/around the major produce market for the city, so i shouldnt have a problem getting delicious fruits.

when you say yogurt, you mean like frozen yogurt? or actual yogurt, or what?

and can someone give me the run down on these flax seeds?

other than that, these sounds really good! (and i need to aquire myself a blender)

paulk
07-13-2004, 12:05 PM
I think you can get these flax seeds or flax seed oil at a health food store.

I like whole flax seeds or flax seed meal, because in addition to them fatty acids it adds fiber.

I wonder if it matters whether you use frozen yogurt or plain yogurt. Maybe it's just a matter of personal preference? I would have used plain yogurt instead of frozen if I had some around at the time.

White-Jet
07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
I mostly have brunch (Eat's somewhere around 10 or 11 in the morning). My drinks mostly consist of either water or milk (Fat Free, Mostly Lactose Free whenever I find it at a gerocery store).

ms.peachy
07-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Paul K is right, any decent health food store will have flax seed. Oh - it's also called 'linseed', that might be the name you are more familiar with. (Yes, the same linseed that linoleum is made out of. It's versatile stuff.)

I suppose you could use frozen yogurt, although I just use plain bio. I imagine most frozen yogurts are probably sweetened, and I find mixing the yogurt with fruit makes it sweet enough - for my tastes it would be overly-sweet if the yogurt was sweetened as well. But it's up to your taste really. I'm not sure if there is a frozen yogurt that has the live acidophilus culture though? Not sure if it survives the freezing process.

cosmo105
07-13-2004, 01:38 PM
grind the flax seeds up in a coffee grinder first. makes them easier to digest.

HEIRESS
07-13-2004, 05:38 PM
My combo:

couple ice cubes
any kind of fruit
banana (for smoothness as well as taste)
splashes of OJ or milk
some fat free yoghurt
and add some protein powder if you have it

jabumbo
07-14-2004, 11:52 AM
so, when you say yogurt...i think or like dannon or something like that...but that doesnt sound like it should be what im looking for...i imagine i want one that isnt artificially flavored...yes? no? maybe so?

HEIRESS
07-14-2004, 07:35 PM
you can use the flavoured ones if you want
there are fat free varieties of those

otherwise just use PLAIN fat free yoghurt

I used to HATE the taste of plain yoghurt
but its just a thickening agent in the smoothie plus gives you calcium

Plain yoghurt is also good mixed with granola and frozen blueberries
Mmmmmmmmmm

ms.peachy
07-15-2004, 03:55 AM
so, when you say yogurt...i think or like dannon or something like that...but that doesnt sound like it should be what im looking for...i imagine i want one that isnt artificially flavored...yes? no? maybe so?

Up to you, mate. Depends how 'committed' you are to having it be uber-healthy and what you like and stuff. If you want top of the line stuff, go to the health for store and get the organic, live acidophilus culture stuff. (yes it will cost more.) But it's cheaper and more convenient to get the regular stuff fromm the corner shop, no doubt - and it's not like using that would be so horrible; it'll still be better for you than, say, grabbing a doughnut, you know?

jabumbo
07-15-2004, 11:00 AM
i hear that...i think the donuts they sell on campus are old bagels...they are horrbile. i would often get a wheat bagel toasted with butter from the brueggers place they put in the lobby of my main building for classes.

does GNC qualify as a health food store? i think thats the closest thing i can think of that i know is close enough for me to get too...all i know about them is they sell vitamins and stuff

Ch-CheckMeOut:)
07-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Are you ready for this,

Coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!Its a great morning drink, if you dont have that, soda wakes ya up and tastes great (y)

cosmo105
07-15-2004, 02:04 PM
GNC is way overpriced. they do everything at at least suggested retail, and their store brand is crap. they sell stuff they know doesn't work.

ms.peachy
07-15-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't think GNC does yogurt, I think they are more pills and powders and powerbars. But you could probably get some decent protein powder there to add into your mix, and probably the flax seed as well.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of GNC. I think their products and their business model are generally not of the highest quality. But, they're not awful either, you could do worse.

paulk
07-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Coffee messes me up man. Not when I drink it, but when I make a habit of drinking it and then if I don't drink it for a day or whatever, I'm all fucked up.

And it stains your teeth man.

jabumbo
07-16-2004, 10:58 AM
GNC is way overpriced. they do everything at at least suggested retail, and their store brand is crap. they sell stuff they know doesn't work.

oooookay then

that is the only place i know of in the immediate campus area, but there probably is a better place around somehwhere. lord knows there are plenty of vegetarians/vegans/health nuts around here to feed an army...yeah, i said feed

i tried coffee when i first came to work this summer, but it was too watery tasteing for me, i do love the smell of coffee. but i would probably drink it if it didnt taste so bad. i prefer a milkier cofee...i drink 'awake' tea via starbucks most mornings now (my aunt hooked me up with a box for my birthday) and that helps give me a boost when i need it.