PDA

View Full Version : Sherman Austin: Webmastering with Intent to Change Society...

GreenEarthAl
07-19-2004, 04:43 AM
SHERMAN AUSTIN RELEASED TO L.A. HALFWAY HOUSE
http://www.indybay.org/police/
http://www.carlagirl.net/freesherman.html

7/14/04: Political prisoner Sherman Austin, who made headlines last year after being targeted as one of the first casualties of the infamous USA PATRIOT Act, was released from prison and left Arizona Monday morning to return to Los Angeles, California. The nightmare doesn't end there for Sherman, though. He will be remanded to the custody of a halfway house where he will serve the remainder of his sentence until August 2004. Starting now and continuing through the next three years, Sherman will be serving an additional sentence of federal probation, under which he will not be allowed to use a cell phone, computer or other digital device unless designated by the government. In addition, Sherman has been forbidden any contact with "anarchist groups," who the federal government maintains "advocate violence as a means of disrupting order and achieving social, economic and political change."
KILL RADIO in LA aired an interview with Sherman upon his release

bigkidpants
07-19-2004, 05:09 AM
i remember when sherman went in -- glad he's okay. i'd sure like to see that list of "anarchist groups" the federal government maintains "advocate violence as a means of disrupting order and achieving social, economic and political change." but even more i'd like to see what george washington, ben franklin and thomas paine think of such a list.

all that said, violence can't be the answer.

GreenEarthAl
07-19-2004, 05:16 AM
For those who don't know: Sherman was imprisoned because he had parts of the Anarchists' Cookbook posted on his website.

EN[i]GMA
07-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I remember that. raisethefist.net and Sherman. Zach de la Rocha making a very good speach on his behalf. Good to hear he's gonna be out.

LIMERICKFILE
07-19-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm listening to the De La Rocha speech right now, I heard it the day after it was made, but it's intense listening to it now that Sherman is being transferred again. Raisethefist.com is down....has been down....will be down.

Dammit I hate the fucking PATRIOT Act.

GreenEarthAl
08-25-2004, 03:14 AM
http://laweekly.com/ink/04/39/news-mikulan.php

Austin had finished his federal term in the Gateway correctional facility after spending most of it in a medium-security lockup near Tucson. During the job searches that were part of his Echo Park regimen, Austin got a taste of problems that may lie ahead when he was forced to turn down a canvassing job that required using a company cell phone.

Under the terms of Austin’s three-year probation, the Raise the Fist Webmaster may only use a cell phone that is owned in his name; he may use a computer — but only a laptop that he must bring in for government examination at any time, and he cannot associate with individuals thought to advocate political violence. In other words, don’t expect him to show up at the Republican convention in New York...

Ace42
08-25-2004, 07:23 AM
For those who don't know: Sherman was imprisoned because he had parts of the Anarchists' Cookbook posted on his website.

Heheh Good ol' fashioned American capitalism. DON'T MAKE WEAPONS, BUY THEM!

Whois
08-25-2004, 09:59 AM

Additional: The material in question was posted by someone using Sherman's "open publishing" style of messageboard (like Indymedia). In other words Sherman went to jail because of a crime commited by someone else.

Nice going Sen Feinswine (D-CA)