PDA

View Full Version : french music

cedric
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
hi guys,

i was just curious to see if there were any french artist that you´ve been listening to recently.
i already know most of them are crap,but serge gainsbourg really had some crazy beat!!!
he´s been sampled by dela soul .
have you ever heard about any other french sample like this(michelle ma belle doesn´t count!)?

bopst
07-19-2004, 03:55 PM
You can't go wrong with Serge Gainsbourg. That is, at least I think so....

cedric
07-19-2004, 03:59 PM
can you get his records in the us?
i´ve rarely seen any.

i recommand la ballade de melody nelson , a really great lp,one of the rare french records with originality and avant garde.

bopst
07-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Check these out...

http://www.francevision.com/nsltr/vf14/gains.htm
http://sergegainsbourg.artistes.universalmusic.fr/1024/push/index.html

My favorite tune by him is, "Conleur (sp?) Cafe", but all of the stuff I've heard by him is interesting to say the least. He was quite a character...

cedric
07-19-2004, 04:10 PM
couleur café is excellent

it´s all about a pretty metis girl.

my fav is requiem pour un con.

but in the mid 80 ´s he really got fucked up and made miserable records with synthetiseur and all that.that was terrible.
but all the rest since the 60´s is great.l

Parkey
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Supa Saain Crew (y)

cedric
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
you heard/saw them in the uk?

i didn´t know they were texporting their stuff.

they got good a cappela mouth disco box

Parkey
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
you heard/saw them in the uk?

i didn´t know they were texporting their stuff.

they got good a cappela mouth disco box

Yeah, they're quite big here. They are fucking great with the beat boxing stuff, i saw them at Glastonbury a few years back with Killa Kella. It was great (y)

Parkey
07-19-2004, 04:23 PM
I also like Colder, Air, Daft Punk (y)

cedric
07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
glastonburry?!??!!!?? :confused:

waow!
i expected many surprises but this is one!!
they´re very well known but no superstar over here.

cedric
07-19-2004, 04:33 PM
hey,
the three of us migth be the rolling stones on sgt peppers covers?

Parkey
07-19-2004, 04:36 PM
glastonburry?!??!!!?? :confused:

waow!
i expected many surprises but this is one!!
they´re very well known but no superstar over here.

French Hip Hop got a good name after La Haine was a quite big hit over here

cedric
07-19-2004, 04:39 PM
la haine was an excellent film.
said tagnaoui made it to hollywood after that,starring with george clooney in king of the desert,and also in a joint with kate winslet.

Parkey
07-19-2004, 04:41 PM
la haine was an excellent film.
said tagnaoui made it to hollywood after that,starring with george clooney in king of the desert,and also in a joint with kate winslet.
I love that film. It's in the new Streets video if you keep your eye out for the TV he's watching

thegoodmrbrodie!
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Colder, Air, Daft Punk (y)
blackstrobe, phoenix, laurent garnier, the youngsters, the hacker, ttc, mirwais, the micronauts...and gainsbourg of course.

there are probably more

cedric
07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I love that film. It's in the new Streets video if you keep your eye out for the TV he's watching

i´ll check this out.
what about the three of us?

Parkey
07-19-2004, 04:45 PM
blackstrobe, phoenix, laurent garnier, the youngsters, the hacker, ttc, mirwais, the micronauts...and gainsbourg of course.

there are probably more
the micronauts! they're great, as are Phoenix and the hacker. All quality (y)

Parkey
07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Haha, almost.

Saian Supa Crew. I been listening to them for about 3 years now. Check out OFX aswell!
:D
it's like countdown... rearrange and see what you get!

dentron3030
07-19-2004, 07:02 PM
robotnicka is a pretty awesome french band..

Marjo
07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey ya'll you have to listen to "Les cowboys fringants"...

It's from Québec and I think you call that music "cow punk" they're my favorite french band! (y)

DroppinScience
07-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Sadly I'm not very familiar with a lot of French artists. But I hope to change that...

Serge Gainsbourg is like the French Sinatra, right? Any good albums to be introduced to FIRST? What's the ideal one to start on?

How about Yves Montand? I hear he's good? Any rec's there?

I LOVE Michel Gondry. Does that count? He's directed lots of music videos (Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Bjork, etc.) and I love his creativity. And the videos he did for his band (in the early 90s before they disbanded) was neat stuff as well...

cedric
07-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Sadly I'm not very familiar with a lot of French artists. But I hope to change that...

Serge Gainsbourg is like the French Sinatra, right? Any good albums to be introduced to FIRST? What's the ideal one to start on?

How about Yves Montand? I hear he's good? Any rec's there?

I LOVE Michel Gondry. Does that count? He's directed lots of music videos (Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Bjork, etc.) and I love his creativity. And the videos he did for his band (in the early 90s before they disbanded) was neat stuff as well...

montand is more like a sinatra.he was also a famous actor.
like i said la ballade de melody nelson is an album you must hear.
initial b.b. is a great song.it´s all about brigitte bardot.

Marjo
07-20-2004, 10:13 AM
If you like Gainsbourg, you should also like Stefie Shock, another québécois artist that I love... (y)

cedric
07-20-2004, 10:16 AM
If you like Gainsbourg, you should also like Stefie Shock, another québécois artist that I love... (y)

never heard of her before.
i´ll check this out... ;)

jabumbo
07-20-2004, 11:20 AM
i used to listen to french rap radio when i had real jukebox?

Beastly Boy
07-20-2004, 12:11 PM
I hearda snippet of this french rap group rapping over Run Dmc's "Sucker MC's", even though I didnt what they were saying, it sounded dope. Anyone know who i'm talking about here?

DroppinScience
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
montand is more like a sinatra.he was also a famous actor.
like i said la ballade de melody nelson is an album you must hear.
initial b.b. is a great song.it´s all about brigitte bardot.

I LOVE Sinatra, actually. So I'd enjoy Montand... :)

Bardot did some music too, right? Is she worth hearing or should I just stay away? Cause those hot, hot, CD covers of her are enticing. ;)

Marjo
07-20-2004, 02:06 PM
never heard of her before.
i´ll check this out... ;)

You never heard of him before...
He got the same voice has Gainsbourg, that's why I love him. :p (y)

Audielicious
07-20-2004, 02:07 PM
I liked all of the French rap music they were playing in the series finale of Sex And The City. I don't know who it's by, though. :o

Mido
07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Does Stereolab count?

cedric
07-20-2004, 03:27 PM
I liked all of the French rap music they were playing in the series finale of Sex And The City. I don't know who it's by, though. :o

never heard of that!
has anyone an idea?

cedric
07-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Does Stereolab count?

a 1/4.

i think only the singers is french.

cedric
07-21-2004, 09:32 AM
I LOVE Sinatra, actually. So I'd enjoy Montand... :)

Bardot did some music too, right? Is she worth hearing or should I just stay away? Cause those hot, hot, CD covers of her are enticing. ;)

gainsbourg wrote a lot of songs for women.a lot of them were french actress
like deneuve,bardot, jeanne moreau....

the most famous song is harley davidson sung by bardot.

Marjo
07-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Go check this out...
http://www.stefieshock.com/multimedia.html :D

ils
07-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Call me an oldie, but Michel Sardou's "Lacs du Connemara" gets me.
Francis Cabrel's "Samedi Soir Sur La Terre" and "La Corrida" are some old quality tunes..
Oh...and AIR are french aren't they?

Micodin
07-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm a big fan of Daft Punk and The Micronauts. But, I live in Maine... so I've never seen them live or have a lot of access to their music.

cedric
07-23-2004, 01:36 AM
musique francaise d´aujourd´hui (http://www.pilotti.org)

kfran13
07-23-2004, 05:38 AM
can you get his records in the us?
i´ve rarely seen any.

i recommand la ballade de melody nelson , a really great lp,one of the rare french records with originality and avant garde.
hi,
it's cool to see that people all over the world listen to Serge gainsbourg.
melody nelson is my favourite too but you should try to listen ( maybe you know them):
-" l'homme à la tête de choux" (with the same english musicians than Melody nelson: alan hawkshaw & alan Parker from KPM music Library)- good sound
- the lp "confidentiel"
- gainsbourg's music movies like : "la horse", " Canabis" and many over

there is a lot of french composer who sounds like gainsbourg 's music:
Michel Magne, Bernard Gérard, Francis Lai etc..
you' ll find a great compilation : "SHAKE SAUVAGE - french soundtracks 1968-1973" http://www.crippled.de
try and enjoy!!

Calimero jr.
07-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Georges Brassens is really great, if you like french funny and smart lyrics go for Boby Lapointe (y)

cedric
07-23-2004, 09:29 AM
hi,
melody nelson is my favourite too but you should try to listen ( maybe you know them):
-" l'homme à la tête de choux" (with the same english musicians than Melody nelson: alan hawkshaw & alan Parker from KPM music Library)- good sound
- the lp "confidentiel"

there is a lot of french composer who sounds like gainsbourg 's music:
Michel Magne, Bernard Gérard, Francis Lai etc..
you' ll find a great compilation : "SHAKE SAUVAGE - french soundtracks 1968-1973" http://www.crippled.de
try and enjoy!!

has anybody ever seen this sequence from a french tv live when he said straigth to withney houston"i want to fuck you?"
or that other one when he burned a bill of the equivalent of 100$ in front of cameras?
he was also a great provocator.

Tomtomtom
08-08-2004, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=kfran13]hi,
- the lp "confidentiel"

...And if you like Reggae music, I recommand you the " Aux armes etc" LP, a very good reggae album recorded in Jamaica at the end of the 70's, with the band of Bob Marley, Sly and Robbie... Probably one of the last good album Gainsbourg recorded...

DroppinScience
08-08-2004, 11:46 PM
I picked up some Metal Urbain just recently!! (y)

They were a French punk rock band in the late 70s, synth-punk pioneers apparently. I LOVE it. If you're a punk fan, definitely recommend it.

jabumbo
08-09-2004, 11:23 AM

They were a French punk rock band in the late 70s, synth-punk pioneers apparently. I LOVE it. If you're a punk fan, definitely recommend it.

excellent reccomendation (y)

i will check it out ASAP

kfran13
08-10-2004, 06:08 AM

Metal Urbain are back! I saw them in a festival call " les transmusicales" in France in December. they didn't play since the early 80's .
I recommend the LP " l'age d'or ", the best of Metal Urbain

kfran13
08-10-2004, 06:16 AM
...And if you like Reggae music, I recommand you the " Aux armes etc" LP, a very good reggae album recorded in Jamaica at the end of the 70's, with the band of Bob Marley, Sly and Robbie... Probably one of the last good album Gainsbourg recorded...[/QUOTE]

that's right !! (y)

DroppinScience
08-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Metal Urbain are back! I saw them in a festival call " les transmusicales" in France in December. they didn't play since the early 80's .
I recommend the LP " l'age d'or ", the best of Metal Urbain

I got "Anarchy in Paris!" myself. :)

Duce
08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
When I was in Paris back in May/June I saw Laurent Garnier at the Rex Club (some locals took us). He was awesome. Now I want to get him to come to the states. Any fans of his here?

Unfortunately, I got there the day the Beastie Boys tickets were released so I missed that show.

Also, to find music info from Sex In The City when they were in Paris go here...

part une http://www.hbo.com/city/episode/music/episode93.shtml
part duex http://www.hbo.com/city/episode/music/episode94.shtml

Let us know which song(s) you were talking about that you liked.

Tomtomtom
08-10-2004, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=lethal_apricot]I like Placebo who sing in English but the lead singer is fluent in french so they released a song of theres Protect Me From What I Want sang in french renamed Protege Moi, I love it!

About Placebo singing in french, do you know their song called (I guess it's the title, well it's the main sentence of the song):

"Embrasse-moi, mets ton doigts dans mon cul" ?

I let you make the translation by yourselves...

RiCeBoY102
08-10-2004, 11:01 PM
French Rap is tight as hell. Even though i dont understand a damn word of it. :confused:

You should listen to MC Solaar, his stuff is hot.

Spirou
08-04-2005, 11:56 AM
There is great bands in French Music !

My Favorites ? Here it is :
Noir Désir (The best french rock band for me), Air (of course), le Peuple de l'herbe, -M-, Phoenix, Roudoudou, Dionysos ...

And in old stuff (I don't listen it a lot) :
Georges Brassens, Gainsbourg, Jean Jacques Goldman

The well-known artist, you must not listen :
Michel Sardou and Johnny Halliday

Ferdinand_2
08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
¿Anyone named MC solaar?