PDA

View Full Version : Another one? Yep.

Spanishbomb808
08-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Hello nasties, were have ya'll been? I reckon yesterday's one sucked or something. I've come to redeem myself with this little rockin' tune.

"Body Movin" meets Zeppelin's "Wanton Song." Nothing complicated there. Ethereal synth sounds appear in order to give the guitar backbone some flesh. Irresponsibly placed and utterly monotonous drum machine sounds pop in, and my usually extensive samples are practically no-shows.

Spanishbomb808, what the heck's gotten into you?

Well, I wanted to try straight-up looping with very few samples and "beats." I reckon you all will like it or something. That, or hate it like my Men At Work one. In that case, I'll return to my initial horrendously bad mixing (!)

Here's what I used today:

Led Zeppelin- Wanton Song
Depeche Mode- Blasphemous Rumours
Led Zeppelin- In the Evening
Gary Numan- Cars
The Clash- Silicone on Sapphire

The italcized items are barely audible. They're just there for "atmosphere." And also, the "Cars" portion is just the intro noise, not the famous synth riff.

The drum machine sounds were taken off some drum machine patterns I made once. They didn't fit, so I just copy-pasted some bass drums, snares and claps onto the "Wanton Song" loop, then I repeated that over and over. I made two loops, and both are used in the song. And, not surprisingly, they suck.

I've yet to master/care about intricate details such as beat matching.

Anyhoo, the "beats" give the song a hippetty-hoppy feel. As the various samples I've used over the past few songs reflect, I don't listen to much rap and such stuff :p .

But I try. I try :o .

And without further ado, here's today's abomination:

http://members.aol.com/aka80sboy/wanton_movin.wma

Please, if you d-load a song, boost the maker's morale with a comment. Everyone loves a response. Even "You suck, Spanishbong!" will make me happy (y)

Brother McDuff
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
I wish I could give it a listen, but I don't use windows media. I love the Wanton Song.

Fritobandito
08-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Think u need to invest in a BPM counter.

Brother McDuff
08-04-2004, 03:08 PM
BPM?

Nick Jade
08-04-2004, 03:10 PM
beats per minute

cheap cologne
08-04-2004, 03:17 PM
ummm...

DJ_Skrilla
08-04-2004, 03:34 PM
beats per minute

damn we need a remixing FAQ.

anyone making remixes needs to know about BPM and their importance to mixing.

werd

Nick Jade
08-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Get some questions together and such and I will put them up with the remix club when I get it launched.

Spanishbomb808
08-04-2004, 09:05 PM
You folks just ought to make a sticky thread that spells out the basic jargon and techniques, as well as links to best software (free and "pricy"). That way, no one is stuck in the dark, and maybe junk like mine will be a thing of the past.

Till then, keep on criticising!

Anyhoo, I use .wma simply because it's a helluva lot smaller, thus faster to upload and download. I do this thinking of you, the consumer. I'd use .mp3, but that's just huge. And nowadays, time is money! That, and I don't want my PC taking forever with a file.

Fritobandito
08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
a don't think i was criticising u. But if u can't afford a BPM counter,, do this///
Use a stop watch and time your music for 10 seconds. While timing, count exactly how many beats are in that 10 second time frame. To calculate your BPM// multiply your count by 6...do this in an area of the routine that is crucial to correct speed, for example a kick line, or section of turns.lates

dj test run
08-05-2004, 03:52 PM
i agree with the bpm thing bro you post stuff like that your gunna get ripped up man .just ask somone what the bpm is and im sure they will let you know.

goofball
08-05-2004, 07:26 PM
I third that. its way off .