PDA

View Full Version : US warns Iraqis to get out of central Najaf

ASsman
08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1280621,00.html

"Those areas will be military zones," the message said. "This is the last warning to the armed militia. This is your last chance to drop your weapons and to leave Najaf peacefully or death will be your penalty."

Oh really? Well I always thought people fighting for their freedom to the death wouldn't be expected to actually die...

Ace42
08-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Goodbye to all those ancient holy shrines, hello to a lot of pissed off Moslems all over the middle east.

EN[i]GMA
08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
This just seems to be an endless cycle. Go kill the insurgents, raid a temple, piss more people off, kill them.

Echewta
08-11-2004, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see the "troublemakers" go and throw big boxes with the word "tea" into the river.

sam i am
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Goodbye to all those ancient holy shrines, hello to a lot of pissed off Moslems all over the middle east.

Funny how this didn't happen either.

Has ace EVER been right about anything? :confused:

Ace42X
01-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Considering that the rate and size of the insurgency has sky-rocketed since then, I can't help but find that comment slightly ironic.

But keep fishing, who knows - you might stumble across some of my drunk postings.

sam i am
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Considering that the rate and size of the insurgency has sky-rocketed since then, I can't help but find that comment slightly ironic.

But keep fishing, who knows - you might stumble across some of my drunk postings.

I specifically quoted your assertion that the holy shrines would be damaged or destroyed (which is EXACTLY what you implied).

I just want to be sure someone is keeping you from being TOO high on your high horse.

Ace42X
01-06-2006, 06:16 PM
The mosque seems to be OK, just some minor damage to the two pillars in the mosque. Minor damage, but nothing serious to the mosque. Everything outside of the mosque seems to be totaled.

So, it was only some light damage to the structure. No harm no foul, right?

I mean, if a bomb blew out a few pillars of the house of congress, you'd barely bat an eyelid...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/08/19/otsc.sadeq/

Of course, finding what happened after that is a little difficult. Searching for "Mosque damaged Iraq" or the like gives dozens of different results, for example the Fallujah mosque which had a minaret completely destroyed.

sam i am
01-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Good point.

I'd be pissed.

BUT, we're talking about Iraq, not the US Congress.

Ace42X
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh, so the "second most important structure in the moslem world" doesn't count because it is in Iraq? It's ok to trash their structures, they don't mind?

Eitherway I made my point - that your nit-picking is rather feeble and quite quite wrong. You can keep digging if you want, find a post from a drunken off day from 4am, knock yourself out. Back to ignore for you though, correcting your mistakes isn't my job, even if you are msitakenly criticising my posts.

sam i am
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Goodbye to all those ancient holy shrines, hello to a lot of pissed off Moslems all over the middle east..

Wrong again, ace.

You didn't do diddly to negate the fact that the holy shrines are still there and completely usable...NOT gone, as you explicitly implied.

Also, there have been few, if any, reports of the US destroying or impairing any holy sites, thus NOT causing a "...lot of pissed off Moslems all over the middle east."

Nice try, sucker, but you yet again prove your utter worthlessness as a reliable debater by completely skirting your actual words and lamely attempting to propogate a revisionist interpretation of your words.

sam i am
01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
You can keep digging if you want, find a post from a drunken off day from 4am, knock yourself out.

Actually, it was at 11:15am....which is not 4:00am no matter which way you slice it.

Sorry for your quite quite wrong ramblings to yet again be exposed to the light of day.

Oh, and BTW.....as for "nitpicking," HA! You would know, oh King of the Nitpickers.

synch
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
You didn't do diddly to negate the fact that the holy shrines are still there and completely usable...NOT gone, as you explicitly implied.
That's like saying "oh, they only blew the Sistine Chapel out of the vatican, it's not like they don't have an altar left to pray on".

sam i am
01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
That's like saying "oh, they only blew the Sistine Chapel out of the vatican, it's not like they don't have an altar left to pray on".

Not an appropriate colloquy. Minor damage aside, which can be expected during any war, ace was full of a canard when he stated what he did.

My point was to point out his inability to be a prognosticator and to hopefully dispel some of the myth surrounding him as some kind of God of the Left.

He's a playground bully who takes the same actions that he accuses others of and revels in them....pulling out bits and pieces and not contexualizing the actual statements made....rather slamming an agenda down others' throats and exulting in his glorious inability to see past his own vapidity and megalomania.

SobaViolence
01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
i thought all of Iraq was a warzone... :confused:

franscar
01-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I like how this thread went flying off into discussing tiny pieces of irrelevant detail instead of debating the point in hand.

SobaViolence
01-09-2006, 07:21 PM
you must be new here.

this is how it always goes.
make the most of it and attack all things american.
(y)

Ali
01-10-2006, 08:24 AM
i thought all of Iraq was a warzone... :confused:No, man. It's been liberated.

Don't you watch the News, fool?

minijosh
01-10-2006, 08:42 AM
The Law of Armed Conflict says that a church or place of worship is not a lawful building to destroy. Same with a hospital. If the buildings are invaded and used as a cover for enemy troops using it as a head quarters or anything that will cause damage or death to our troops the building becomes a legal target.

After reading that article, it seems that the small group is claiming that it has defeated the US by fighting back. It's not the US's fault they are fighting people who run and hide behind women and children. People who run into buildings and hide and take pot shots at clearly marked soliders who are walking down the road trying to restore peace. I think it's funny that the so called freedom fighters from different countries don't wear a uniform to distinguish themselves from the civilian population that lives in that country. Urban combat at it's greatest.

sam i am
01-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I like how this thread went flying off into discussing tiny pieces of irrelevant detail instead of debating the point in hand.

Valid.

I pulled this out of old postings to illustrate ace's incongruity....nothing more....nothing less.

Ali
01-11-2006, 08:40 AM
The Law of Armed Conflict says that a church or place of worship is not a lawful building to destroy. Same with a hospital. If the buildings are invaded and used as a cover for enemy troops using it as a head quarters or anything that will cause damage or death to our troops the building becomes a legal target.

After reading that article, it seems that the small group is claiming that it has defeated the US by fighting back. It's not the US's fault they are fighting people who run and hide behind women and children. People who run into buildings and hide and take pot shots at clearly marked soliders who are walking down the road trying to restore peace. I think it's funny that the so called freedom fighters from different countries don't wear a uniform to distinguish themselves from the civilian population that lives in that country. Urban combat at it's greatest.If you weren't there, they wouldn't be there.

Understand?

sam i am
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
If you weren't there, they wouldn't be there.

Understand?

Really?

Don't you think that's the point? We're taking the fight to them there rather than sitting back and waiting for another 9/11 or London subway bombing or Spanish rail attack....etc., et al....

Numerous examples abounded of terrorist attacks by these same TYPE of people well before the US went into Iraq.....since 9/11 there has NOT been a SINGLE attack on US soil.

Ever wonder why that is? If you were a terrorist or Osama or just plain wanted to put egg on the face of the US or George W. Bush, wouldn't you have planned and executed whatever attack you could on the US by now? Wouldn't such an attack completely discredit all that the eeeeevil Republicans and the US have accomplished or attempted to accomplish over these past 4 years?

Food for thought....

Funkaloyd
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Don't you think that's the point? We're taking the fight to them there
I thought it was WMDs... no... freedom?

Why Iraq?

these same TYPE of people
By that you mean sand niggers?

since 9/11 there has NOT been a SINGLE attack on US soil.
Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

synch
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
That's the trouble with the whole patriot act and the "war on terrorism". If there are no more attacks they will claim it worked, if there are more attacks they will claim they need to go even further.

That's not even taking into account that the war in iraq and afghanistan is more likely to spawn more terrorists than it is likely to prevent terrorist acts.

Schmeltz
01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
We're taking the fight to them there rather than sitting back and waiting

Exactly. You've got to bomb the shit out of these poor brown people before they start thinking about getting mad at you. Otherwise who knows how mad they'll get!

Wouldn't such an attack completely discredit all that the eeeeevil Republicans and the US have accomplished or attempted to accomplish

Actually, I thought all Osama bin Laden really wanted was to get the American troops out of Saudi Arabia.

And he got it.

Oh no wait... he also wanted secularism in the Middle East destroyed to make way for the expansion of militant Islamism.

And he got that too.

So in point of fact - why would he bother doing anything except sit in his cave and puff on his hookah? If I were him I'd retire and write my memoirs.

sam i am
01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

Good points....except we're not done over there yet.

Ali
01-19-2006, 11:44 AM
That's the trouble with the whole patriot act and the "war on terrorism". If there are no more attacks they will claim it worked, if there are more attacks they will claim they need to go even furtherSheer genius, isn't it?

sam i am
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Sheer genius, isn't it?

Absolutely....with the face of George W. Bush all over it....smirking his way into history while all his critics talk about how "dumb" he is.

synch
01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Puppet boy is too busy falling down and choking on pretzels to think of something like that.

But you are right, he will go down in history and he will be smirking.

sam i am
01-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Puppet boy is too busy falling down and choking on pretzels to think of something like that.

But you are right, he will go down in history and he will be smirking.

Have you ever seen him during a news conference?

He always looks like he's got a little joke he's telling himself and no one's in on it.

Watch closely...it's freaking hillarious sometimes.

synch
01-19-2006, 11:52 AM
You call it hilarious, I call it eerily creepy.

sam i am
01-19-2006, 11:55 AM
you say to -ma-to, I say to-ma-to

Ace42X
02-22-2006, 06:21 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1715211,00.html?gusrc=rss
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4738472.stm

Kaboom!

Ace42X
04-14-2006, 01:38 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4908940.stm

Oh lookey here... US soldiers are trashing the place afterall. Who'd've thunk it!