PDA

View Full Version : spanakopita??

zorra_chiflada
08-23-2004, 05:54 AM
hey
anyone have any interesting variations on spanakopita (spinach pie) cos it's like my favourite food in the world.

ms.peachy
08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I'd also like to know how to make this. I know it has something to do with filo, feta and spinach, but I don't know how it all gets put together!

ASHLEY
08-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Spanakopita Quiche

Vegetable cooking spray
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
2 oz. crumbled feta cheese (1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
2 eggs 1 egg white
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 large clove garlic
6 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs, divided
1 1/2 cups sliced plum tomato (1/4-inch-thick)

Coat a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray; set aside. Press spinach between paper towels until barely moist; set aside.

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cottage cheese and next 5 ingredients, and process until smooth. Add spinach, green onions, oregano, and garlic; process 45 seconds. Set aside.

Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, lightly coat each sheet with cooking spray. Fold phyllo sheet in half crosswise to form a 13-x 8-1/2-inch rectangle, and lightly coat both sides of rectangle with cooking spray. Gently press rectangle into pie plate, allowing ends to extend over edges of pie plate.
Repeat procedure with a second sheet of phyllo, placing it across first sheet in a crisscross design; sprinkle 1 tablespoon bread crumbs over second sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo and bread crumbs, continuing in crisscross design, ending with phyllo. Fold in edges of phyllo to fit pie plate and form a rim.

Pour spinach mixture into prepared crust; gently arrange tomato slices over filling.
Bake at 350° F. for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from center comes out clean; let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges.

zorra_chiflada
08-24-2004, 06:05 AM
hey wicked man!
where did you get this recipe from?

ASHLEY
08-24-2004, 11:53 AM
hey wicked man!
where did you get this recipe from?

Ancient Family Secret :p

jabumbo
08-28-2004, 02:29 PM
i love those things! my mom always gets them at the farmers market. they are very tasty with spinash and feta