PDA

View Full Version : The Nerve of those Damned Greens!

GreenEarthAl
08-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Just posting this because Rachel Treichler is cool and we've emailed back n forth a bit so it was cool to see her name (honestly the only reason I read this in the first place)
----------

TREICHLER STATE ASSEMBLY PETITION CHALLENGED

Rachel Treichler from Hammondsport announced today that a challenge has been filed to her independent nominating petition. Treichler is running on the Green Party line as a candidate for the 136th Assembly district. She is the only candidate running for the seat, other than the incumbent, James Bacalles, a Republican from Corning.

General objections to her petition were filed on Monday by William O. Hatch from Canisteo, chairman of the Steuben County Republican Committee. Specific objections must be filed by next Monday.

Because the Green Party lost ballot status in 2002 when their gubernatorial
candidate failed to get 50,000 votes, Treichler was required to collect signatures on an independent nominating petition. This meant that any registered voter in the district who had not already signed for another candidate for the same seat could sign her petitions. Many did so.

Treichler's campaign is the first major petitioning effort by Green
Party members in Steuben and Yates counties. "We learned a lot about the
technical rules of how to collect signatures," Treichler said, "and now,
thanks to the Republican challenge, we are about to learn even more! People learned that petitioning isn't that difficult, and can even be fun." As her campaign progressed, more and more people turned out to help petition. Almost 30 people helped Treichler collect signatures.

Treichler said that petitioning as an independent candidate is very interesting because it gives an opportunity to approach registered voters
in all parties and learn more about their views. Most registered voters
were willing to sign her petitions, Treichler said, even if they did not
agree with all her positions, because they thought it would be good for voters to have a choice on election day.

All her encounters were instructive. Treichler recalls one angry Democrat who said he would not sign her petition. "You are just helping the Republicans," he said. Treichler asked how she was helping the Republicans by running against a Republican candidate, whom no Democrat was challenging. He said, "You are showing people there is an alternative to the Democratic Party."

Treichler is a member of the Steuben Greens, a group that has been working to build the Green Party in Steuben County since 2002. Since the group was formed, Green Party enrollment in the county has increased from 140 to 206, an increase of 40%. Treichler says that people should not be confused by the fact that although the Green Party has lost ballot status, people can still register Green. She was a plaintiff in a successful lawsuit Green Party members brought in 2002 against the Board of Elections. The decision in this lawsuit gives Green Party and other third party supporters the right to register in the party of their choice, even if that party does not have ballot status. The new voter registration forms have a blank line upon which a registrant can write in the party name of his or her choice.

The next meeting of the Steuben Greens is Monday, September 20 in Hornell. For the location of the meeting and other information about the Steuben Greens, visit their website at
http://www.steubengreens.org.

Treichler is campaigning on a platform of strengthening local
production in Steuben and Yates counties, particularly organic food and renewable energy production. "For long-term economic sustainability," Treichler says, "We need to return production and economic decision making to the local level. Local production and local ownership need to be acilitated and local communities need to be given effective oversight of local production." For more information about Treichler's platform, visit her website at
http://www.voterachel.org

paulk
08-25-2004, 10:21 PM
If there's a Collard County somewhere out there, there just might be a group called the Collard Greens.

Tone Capone
08-25-2004, 10:51 PM
If there's a Collard County somewhere out there, there just might be a group called the Collard Greens.

which are delicious by the way.

D_Raay
08-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Hey Al :D

Question for you my friend. I don't know if you even watch TV or watch movies,but I just watched "Dogville" and it made me think of you. It's fascinating with it's political undertones set amidst really small town life, and the angst a person has to go through just to prove their decency to supposedly decent simple folk. What I mean by made me think of you is it gets really hard to love your neighbor when they are so quick to condemn and so unobjective even when they really mean no harm at all as they see it. The world is a tough place for socially uplifting people nowadays and I applaud you for your efforts, hell I spent 2 agonizing weeks with hardly any money in NYC after the atacks helping with anything I could and I was surprised at some people's total lack of selflessness. Well my point is that watching this movie made me realize we are in the minority and we have to find ways to change it.

BTW how did you get your garbage down to 1 bag a week?

Manji
08-26-2004, 01:55 AM

Indeed!

Whois
08-26-2004, 09:53 AM
All her encounters were instructive. Treichler recalls one angry Democrat who said he would not sign her petition. "You are just helping the Republicans," he said. Treichler asked how she was helping the Republicans by running against a Republican candidate, whom no Democrat was challenging. He said, "You are showing people there is an alternative to the Democratic Party."

...and that of course is high treason as far as the Democrats are concerned.

Wow, finally some honesty about why the Dems hate the Greens.

EN[i]GMA
08-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Reminds me of this passage from a People's History of the United States:

"The two-party system came into it's own in this time. To give people a choice between two different parties and allow them, in a period of rebellion, to choose the slightly more democratic one was an ingenious mode of control"

GreenEarthAl
08-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Zinn is always saying brilliant stuff like that.

Garbage reduction: I bought less stuff and I bought stuff with less packaging. I started putting garbage inside of garbage so I wasn't tossing out bags of mostly air. And I started reusing things, and bought a nice string bag to carry my groceries in rather than bringing plastic grocery bags home, etc. The biggest factor was just buying less stuff though.

EN[i]GMA
08-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Just today I thought about highlighting the good passages in that book and realized it was all so good. Maybe the best is Frederick Douglass' 4th of July speech though. Brilliance.

D_Raay
08-26-2004, 11:28 PM

Garbage reduction: I bought less stuff and I bought stuff with less packaging. I started putting garbage inside of garbage so I wasn't tossing out bags of mostly air. And I started reusing things, and bought a nice string bag to carry my groceries in rather than bringing plastic grocery bags home, etc. The biggest factor was just buying less stuff though.
I'm sorry, Zinn?

Funkaloyd
08-27-2004, 02:36 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn

I also strongly recommend A People's History of the United States.

bigkidpants
08-27-2004, 07:23 AM
peter camejo kicked ass on cspan this morning -- checking out the washington journal archive is highly recommended.

his consistent criticism of our winner-take-all electoral system may very well have won him my vote this year. kerry is no longer a palatable option to me.

and another thought -- isn't the cause of the negative campaigning that has come to dominate politics really that same winner-take-all system? those invested in the system say that attack ads exist because they work, but if we had coalitional governments based on proportions of votes like in almost every other democracy in the world, wouldn't attack ads do more harm than good? i can scarcely think of a single reform that would do as much to improve the system.

america has never been a democracy, but with people like the greens challenging the system, we may one day arrive there.

valvano
08-27-2004, 08:46 AM

my grandmother makes awesome collards,

i am sure you enjoy pot liquor too!!

(y)

Funkaloyd
08-27-2004, 06:33 PM
his consistent criticism of our winner-take-all electoral system may very well have won him my vote this year

I would endorse Bush if he were to push for proportional representation (though it isn't going to happen).

TheWedge
08-28-2004, 08:36 AM

A big thank you to GEA, from the wedge.
I bought "A People's History..." Friday after work and read a good chunk of it Friday night. I'm very happy that I have this book.
I'm very grateful to you for pointing it out to me.

Big ups.