PDA

View Full Version : "Sensitive"

Echewta
08-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Cheney said. “In this election, we face the choice between our president and the man calling for a more sensitive war on terror. America has been in too many wars for any of our wishes, but not one of them was won by being sensitive.” - Speech at Bloomberg University

Funny, we sure are being "sensitive" to those armed thugs and terrorist in the mosque in Najaf. Shouldn't we just be bombing or shelling it and getting this over with? How can we be so sensitive to al-Sadr wishes?

bilbo
08-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Cheney said. “In this election, we face the choice between our president and the man calling for a more sensitive war on terror. America has been in too many wars for any of our wishes, but not one of them was won by being sensitive.” - Speech at Bloomberg University

Funny, we sure are being "sensitive" to those armed thugs and terrorist in the mosque in Najaf. Shouldn't we just be bombing or shelling it and getting this over with? How can we be so sensitive to al-Sadr wishes?

Sensitive doesn't mean they're coddling them. Being sensitive in certain situations is just plain smart. Blowing the hell out of an important Shiite mosque would be idiotic.

There is, of course, some delicious irony in that Cheney lambasted Kerry for using the word "sensitive" last week when Kerry was speaking at the UNITY conference.

100% ILL
08-26-2004, 12:48 PM
I find it ridiculous that our Government honors the insurgents cease fire requests. This gives them time to re-supply and continue fighting. The sanctity of the Mosque must be honored, so this situation is a little different. I don't see why cs gas couldn't be used to flush them out in the open and then kill them. Perhaps the higher ups want some of them alive for questioning. It has turned into a PR war now.

bilbo
08-26-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't see why cs gas couldn't be used to flush them out in the open and then kill them.

That would be brilliant :rolleyes:

100% ILL
08-26-2004, 01:08 PM
That would be brilliant :rolleyes:

It's always a good idea to have a goal. (sarcasm noted)

Whois
08-26-2004, 01:35 PM
I find it ridiculous that our Government honors the insurgents cease fire requests. This gives them time to re-supply and continue fighting. The sanctity of the Mosque must be honored, so this situation is a little different. I don't see why cs gas couldn't be used to flush them out in the open and then kill them. Perhaps the higher ups want some of them alive for questioning. It has turned into a PR war now.

CS is classed as a chemical weapon and thus banned.

"On Jan. 13, 1993, the United States and dozens of other countries signed the Chemical Weapons Convention, the most far-reaching treaty regarding prohibitions on the use of chemical weapons. The treaty bans the use of nerve agents, mustard gas, and other compounds, including tear gas, during wartime."

Ace42
08-26-2004, 01:41 PM
CS is classed as a chemical weapon and thus banned.

"On Jan. 13, 1993, the United States and dozens of other countries signed the Chemical Weapons Convention, the most far-reaching treaty regarding prohibitions on the use of chemical weapons. The treaty bans the use of nerve agents, mustard gas, and other compounds, including tear gas, during wartime."

Banned in *warfare* - the reason it is used against criminals in the US is because they are not considered military targets, and thus not qualified under the geneva conventions. This is also why various US law enforcement agencies use high-impact "Wad-cutter" munitions (anything other than FMJ rounds are illegal in war IIRC) against targets.

These "rebels" are not sanctioned by the puppet Iraqi government, and thus are not an opposing army. While anyone can see the illegitimacy of this argument, it hasn't stopped the US before against the Taliban or the Iraqi standing army (or the people in Camp X-ray).

7. The United States used prohibited weapons capable of mass destruction and inflicting indiscriminate death and unnecessary suffering against both military and civilian targets.

Among the known illegal weapons and illegal uses of weapons employed by the United States are the following:

* fuel air explosives capable of widespread incineration and death;
* napalm;
* cluster and anti-personnel fragmentation bombs; and
* "superbombs," 2.5 ton devices, intended for assassination of government leaders.

http://www.deoxy.org/wc/warcrim2.htm#7

Whois
08-26-2004, 02:03 PM
But we're the good guys, we NEVER violate international law (and thus US law since a signed treaty = US law as per the Constitution).

The hypocrisy is astounding isn't it...

Echewta
08-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Sensitive doesn't mean they're coddling them. Being sensitive in certain situations is just plain smart. Blowing the hell out of an important Shiite mosque would be idiotic.

Oh I agree, i just find it funny coming from this administration. That they would care so much after what Cheney said and then Bush said a week later, though I can't find where he addresses being sensitive in Iraq.

travesty
08-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Can't we just use some of the Gas and Nerve Agents we found stockpiled over there. I heard there was lots of it and that if we hadn't invaded it would have been used on us anyway, so why not use it on them.

Echewta
08-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Can't we just use some of the Gas and Nerve Agents we found stockpiled over there. I heard there was lots of it and that if we hadn't invaded it would have been used on us anyway, so why not use it on them.

And then blame it on a few bad apples from a wedding party.

paulk
08-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Ah man wat, where my main homie Platoboto at?

bb_bboy
08-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Why don't we compromise and just get more sensitive missle guidance systems - less collateral damage.

Echewta
08-27-2004, 05:12 PM
They are so "sensitive," the missles will "miss" you.

Platoboto is at the retirement home.

travesty
08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
And then blame it on a few bad apples from a wedding party.

I know! They were pointing those roman candles at our stealth fighters, now that's just dangerous, and truly an act of aggression.