PDA

View Full Version : So now we're terrorists..

D_Raay
08-27-2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.cosmosleft.com/pages/3/index.htm

"So what should happen is that any illegal activity by these protesters should be considered a terrorist act on its face. Putting the lives of New Yorkers in danger by distracting the police is terrorism, period."--Bill O'Reilly

You know I never thought much about O'Reilly in the past. He was just an egotistical moron who couldn't be taken seriously because he doesn't even admit that he is right wing. He's one of those guys that should have his picture next to "condescending" in the dictionary.
However now he has pissed me off. I am affiliating with terrorists now because I being a true American and protesting a false war?

terrorism, n. the use of force and threats to frighten people into obeying completely. --terrorist, n. Webster's

I have never forced or threatened anyone into obeying anything.

BTW, will any of you be in NYC to protest? I'm having trouble getting the time off because I already vacationed twice this year but I'm hoping I can get out there anyway.

Off topic but enjoy :D http://www.buzzflash.com/bradenton/04/08/bra04084.html

paulk
08-27-2004, 02:54 PM
It seems like he is calling the violent protestors terrorists, not just any protestors.

ChrisLove
08-27-2004, 03:25 PM
It is a moronic use of the word terrorists but I think as paulk says he is refferring to the criminal element rather than the average protester.

bilbo
08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Actually O'Leilly is trying to paint them all with a broad brush. When he was saying this nonsense on his show, he was showing footage of the WTO protests in Seattle. It was yet another deliberate attempt to mislead, but I don't see the point. No person with half a brain watches Faux News unless it is for the comedy it presents.

Echewta
08-27-2004, 05:04 PM
terrorist is such a general and defused word now. You think Tim McVey would have turned "terrorism" into a broad brush.

D_Raay
08-27-2004, 11:42 PM
I was objecting to him using the word terrorist at all to describe american citizens protesting whether violently or peacefully. The word has become what it was not meant to be.

jegtar
08-30-2004, 11:06 AM
I was objecting to him using the word terrorist at all to describe american citizens protesting whether violently or peacefully. The word has become what it was not meant to be.

Actually if a protester uses violence to change someone elses opinion that, by definition, makes the protester a terrorist.

D_Raay
08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
That's the whole thing, the protester who uses violence isn't changing anyone's opinion. If anything he is negating his opinion.

Bob
08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
technically, he did say "any illegal activity by these protestors", which i assume means things like throwing rocks in windows and killing people. marching and shouting and making yourself heard is perfectly legal still, hopefully.

still, that's a thin veil he's wearing there.

Whois
08-30-2004, 12:24 PM
technically, he did say "any illegal activity by these protestors", which i assume means things like throwing rocks in windows and killing people. marching and shouting and making yourself heard is perfectly legal still, hopefully.

still, that's a thin veil he's wearing there.

Illegal activity now includes:

1) Protestors walking on sidewalks (as evidenced by the police grabbing people at random and arresting them).

2) Riding your bike (see above)

3) Being in possession of medical supplies.

4) Failure to follow police instructions while following police instruction. (this is nothing new)

5) Wearing suspicious clothing. (?)

Really freaking pathetic

bilbo
08-30-2004, 12:25 PM

1) Protestors walking on sidewalks (as evidenced by the police grabbing people at random and arresting them).

4) Failure to follow police instructions while following police instruction. (this is nothing new)

Really freaking pathetic

Correct.

Bob
08-30-2004, 12:38 PM
seriously? i didn't know, i hadn't looked into it, i assumed we still had free assembly rights. whoops!

carry on then, bill is fascist

GreenEarthAl
08-30-2004, 12:41 PM
And kissing!

Can't forget kissing.

People were arrested at the kiss-in yesterday too.

Which kind of makes sense since kissing is a pretty serious national security threat. Just making sure it made the list.

And I saw a guy that was almost arrested yesterday for having a bullhorn.

ChrisLove
08-30-2004, 01:10 PM

Bullhorn of Death? or just regular?

jegtar
08-30-2004, 01:11 PM
The violent protestors are called anarchists, not terrorists

This is from webster:

\An"arch*ist\ An anarch; one who advocates anarchy of aims at the overthrow of civil government.

ter·ror·ism The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

bilbo
08-30-2004, 01:13 PM
What does Webster define "babby" as?
I am still waiting for you to point out my sentence structure/grammar errors sport.

jegtar
08-30-2004, 01:30 PM
What does Webster define "babby" as?
I am still waiting for you to point out my sentence structure/grammar errors sport.

So I typed "babby" instead of "baby". Sue me, I didn't mean to offend you with my typing skills. Do you realize that you are almost 35 years old and you are in a beastie boys forum making fun of the way people type? You are probably in your mom's basement sucking on a bong as we speak.
You should slowly read your sentence-in-question closely and look for mistakes.
You are now free to blow your head off with a shotgun.
Go Nader!!!!!

bilbo
08-30-2004, 01:41 PM
So I typed "babby" instead of "baby". Sue me, I didn't mean to offend you with my typing skills. Do you realize that you are almost 35 years old and you are in a beastie boys forum making fun of the way people type? You are probably in your mom's basement sucking on a bong as we speak.
You should slowly read your sentence-in-question closely and look for mistakes.
You are now free to blow your head off with a shotgun.
Go Nader!!!!!

I want you to point out the error(s), not run away from the thread.
Thanks for pointing out my age, but I fail to see it's relevance. :confused:

Whois
08-30-2004, 01:57 PM
And kissing!

Can't forget kissing.

People were arrested at the kiss-in yesterday too.

Which kind of makes sense since kissing is a pretty serious national security threat. Just making sure it made the list.

Forgot about the kissing, thanks!

Whois
08-30-2004, 01:57 PM
ter·ror·ism The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Sounds like the FBI to me...

D_Raay
08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
I see the definition of terrorism has changed over the years.
I deliberately used the Websters edition from 1963 for my definition. Just happened to have one from then and figured that the word would be morphed in later editions.

ASsman
08-30-2004, 04:46 PM
HAHAHAH, well atleast in the US you donīt just end up missing.

Loppfessor
08-31-2004, 07:59 AM

Really freaking pathetic

I'm just curious where you got this list from. Anyway I think the word terrorist is definitely over used these days; however anyone deciding to protest at the RNC or any major event needs to exercise a lil common sense. I mean the cops/security are supposed to be at a heightened state of alertness which is going to lower the tolerance for anyone not fallowing the rules or even pushing the limit. I guess it's kind of like the airport now. Anyone who has flown in the past few years knows that the whole atmosphere is different and things that would've been okay before are no longer acceptable. Sadly the world has changed a lot for the sake of "security" and we all need to adjust accordingly.

D_Raay
08-31-2004, 10:49 AM
Errr I guess you don't understand the debate.
Debating whether the word "terrorist" is being used correctly is the debate not what O'Leilly said.

BGirl
08-31-2004, 11:20 AM
remember teachers are terrorists too

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/02/23/paige.terrorist.nea/

And so is Seymour Hersh.

"Look, Sy Hersh is the closest thing American journalism has to a terrorist, frankly." - Richard Perle on CNN

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/03/03/10_perle.html

:rolleyes: