PDA

View Full Version : protestors at the convention

QueenAdrock
08-30-2004, 07:52 PM
I heard for every delegate inside the convention, there are 10 protestors outside. That's pretty fuckin' funny.

SobaViolence
08-30-2004, 08:29 PM
the only thing that matters is how many riot police there are outside.

Jasonik
08-30-2004, 08:47 PM
I heard for every delegate inside the convention, there are 10 protestors outside. That's pretty fuckin' funny.

At the Boston DNC there were 5 media members for each delegate.

bilbo
08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
At the Boston DNC there were 5 media members for each delegate.

Link?
:D

greedygretchen
08-30-2004, 09:07 PM
I LOVE IT!! (http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/29/gop.main.ap/)

Emanon
08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm not anti-republican, but I was glad to see that they were able to organize an estimated 120,000 protestors and only 200 got arrested. That to me shows what a classy affair the effort was. It's probably nothing interesting to you all, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Jasonik
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Link?
:D (http://www.widmeyer.com/wire/2004/08/volume_5_issue_2.html)

bilbo
08-31-2004, 12:24 PM
I LOVE IT!! (http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/29/gop.main.ap/)

I was talking to our conservative friend GG, but thanks for the link :D

BGirl
08-31-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm not anti-republican, but I was glad to see that they were able to organize an estimated 120,000 protestors and only 200 got arrested. That to me shows what a classy affair the effort was. It's probably nothing interesting to you all, but I thought it was pretty cool.

I agree with you, it was a great demonstration all around. With the possible exception of the guy who lit the dragon on fire but hey, at least Bill Maher will be happy. (I think Bill Maher wouldn't be calling for rioting if he lived here, or if the convention was in L.A. I love Bill Maher & his show but sometimes I really disagree with him. Other times he's right on.)

As for the crowd estimate, this is from yesterday's New York Times, Robert McFadden:

"The protest organizer, United for Peace and Justice, estimated the crowd at 500,000, rivaling a 1982 anti-nuclear rally in Central Park, and double the number it had predicted. It was, at best, a rough estimate. The Police Department, as is customary, offered no official estimate, but one officer in touch with the police command center at Madison Square Garden agreed that the crowd appeared to be close to a half-million."

SeƱor Stino
08-31-2004, 03:05 PM
never believe estimates from the organizers :)

it's nice to see so many people on the street though, if they all go to vote...

luckily not many riots, otherwise I think it would have turned in Bush's advantage

bilbo
08-31-2004, 03:07 PM
never believe estimates from the organizers :)

The New York Times and the NYPD said the crowd was half a million.
:eek:

jegtar
08-31-2004, 03:08 PM
Bill Maher will be happy. (I think Bill Maher wouldn't be calling for rioting if he lived here, or if the convention was in L.A. I love Bill Maher & his show but sometimes I really disagree with him. Other times he's right on.) "

Did he really call for a riot? He is the stupidest person on the planet if he did.

BGirl
08-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Did he really call for a riot? He is the stupidest person on the planet if he did.

Well, he was overstating things for comedy, but he said things like, "Okay protestor, you've spent two weeks making your Dick Cheney mask. Time to light it on fire!" And something like, "If anything with the name Trump attached is still standing after the Republicans leave you're all a bunch of pussies."

I was laughing, but geez.

He's just really pissed off at the administration and wanted people to express that I guess.

I'm really pissed off too, but everybody coming together like that did make for a really positive (festive) event, and also it does look bad for the Republicans that the crowd was so huge, peaceful and diverse. The Times had another article about that... "For every young man with an unusual piercing an a painful seeming place, there was an elderly woman who spent hours walking in the hot sun." (I am paraphrasing a bit. It was yesterday's edition, probably still available online.)