1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
cheese
3/4 lb. assorted wild mushrooms, cut into
1/2-inch pieces
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup Madeira
2 cups unsalted chicken broth
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a polenta pot or other large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the 2 tsp. salt. Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, add the polenta in a thin, steady stream until incorporated. Continue stirring to prevent lumps from forming. Reduce the heat so the mixture bubbles occasionally. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the polenta is thick and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the 4 Tbs. butter, a few cubes at a time, then stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Keep warm over very low heat.

In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the 2 Tbs. butter. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the polenta among 4 to 6 warmed bowls. Spoon the mushrooms and broth around the polenta and serve immediately with the remaining cheese. Serves 4 to 6.

Elusive
08-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Alfredo and noodles that I make is better

girlcoastal
08-30-2004, 09:11 PM
mmmmm, polenta.

ms.peachy
08-31-2004, 04:45 AM
Maybe I've just never had it properly done, but I just can't get excited about polenta. I've tried it a few times, but not been particularly impressed, so I've not bothered to try it myself. I keep waiting to try it one time and go "wow!", but it doesn't seem to wanna happen.

jabumbo
08-31-2004, 08:59 AM
im not a big fan of polenta myself...dont really know why though

girlcoastal
08-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Maybe I've just never had it properly done, but I just can't get excited about polenta. I've tried it a few times, but not been particularly impressed, so I've not bothered to try it myself. I keep waiting to try it one time and go "wow!", but it doesn't seem to wanna happen.

try it with a meat marinara sauce and don't but the instant kind.

where are you from in pittsburgh?