PDA

View Full Version : Major Bush Flip-Flop

bilbo
08-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Bush Cites Doubt America Can Win War on Terror
By ELISABETH BUMILLER

Published: August 31, 2004

ASHUA, N.H., Aug. 30 - President Bush, in an interview broadcast on Monday, said that he did not think America could win the war on terror but that it could make terrorism less acceptable around the world, a departure from his previous optimistic statements that the United States would eventually prevail.

In the interview with Matt Lauer of the NBC News program "Today," conducted on Saturday but shown on the opening day of the Republican National Convention, Mr. Bush was asked if the United States could win the war against terrorism, which he has made the focus of his administration and the central thrust of his re-election campaign.

"I don't think you can win it," Mr. Bush replied. "But I think you can create conditions so that those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."

As recently as July 14, Mr. Bush had drawn a far sunnier picture. "I have a clear vision and a strategy to win the war on terror," he said...........

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/31/politics/campaign/31bush.html?hp

Bob
08-30-2004, 10:49 PM
we will not falter, we will not fail....probably

that's how the speech went, right?

bilbo
08-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Flip-Flop-back to Flip again :rolleyes:

After Citing Doubt, Bush Declares 'We Will Win' Terror War
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:32 p.m. ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- President Bush said Tuesday ``we will win'' the war on terror, seeking to quell controversy and Democratic criticism over his earlier remark that victory may not be possible.

In a speech to the national convention of the American Legion, Bush said, ``We meet today in a time of war for our country, a war we did not start yet one that we will win..........

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-CVN-Bush.html?hp

Echewta
08-31-2004, 11:21 AM
Staying the course. Just like on Global Warming.

bilbo
08-31-2004, 12:27 PM
Either that or the chimp handlers momentarily lost control of him.
I happen to think Georgie forgot what he was supposed to say. :eek:

infidel
08-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Either that or the chimp handlers momentarily lost control of him.
I happen to think Georgie forgot what he was supposed to say. :eek:Just like the global warming flip-flop. When asked about it the next day bush's reply was, "Did I say that?"

Echewta
08-31-2004, 02:48 PM
So Bush supporters, what is the correct answer? I'm so confussed. Is there global warming or not? Can we win the war on terror or not?
I find this more imporant than Kerry's Vietnam service or where he was on Christmas one year. So please help me because I'm not interested in the liberal media trying to cover up the real issues.

jegtar
08-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Nader is the only one who is not flip-flopping! Kerry supporters don't have much room to talk on the subject. So, you may as well join to the Nader-side. JK

bilbo
08-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Nader is the only one who is not flip-flopping! Kerry supporters don't have much room to talk on the subject. So, you may as well join to the Nader-side. JK

:rolleyes: Are you going to correct my grammar yet?

Manji
08-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Sometimes...No make that All the Time...
I think the Media is what makes politics so incredibly laughable.

This is a real no issue. It's a matter of symantics. It seems the Democrats are grasping at straws and they really should drop it before the "swing" voting majority of the nation catches on. Really, it will hurt them. They are not going to make this goofy out of context, matter of symantics, maneuver stick to Bush. It just won't work. It looks like they are just saying anything to get ahead. No serious Democrat is going to go along with this. The silly factor is way too high on this.

bilbo
08-31-2004, 03:10 PM
Sometimes...No make that All the Time...
I think the Media is what makes politics so incredibly laughable.

This is a real no issue. It's a matter of symantics. It seems the Democrats are grasping at straws and they really should drop it before the "swing" voting majority of the nation catches on. Really, it will hurt them. They are not going to make this goofy out of context, matter of symantics, maneuver stick to Bush. It just won't work. It looks like they are just saying anything to get ahead. No serious Democrat is going to go along with this. The silly factor is way too high on this.

LOL, out of context?
How so?

bilbo
08-31-2004, 03:14 PM
It's a matter of symantics.

WTF are symantics?
:confused:

Manji
08-31-2004, 03:18 PM
WTF are symantics?
:confused:

LOL!!!
Semantics- I was thinking in terms of Symantec as in Norton Utilities, Antivirus LOL!!! :D

bilbo
08-31-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't see any linguistic wiggle room in the following statements:

Yesterday--"I don't think you can win it, but I think you can create conditions so that those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."

Today--'We meet today in a time of war for our country, a war we did not start yet one that we will win.''

Echewta
08-31-2004, 03:33 PM
So Kerry was 10 miles or 50 miles from Cambodia?

The silly factor is code red on that but look where it went.

This is serious if he can't keep a clear and on target approach to terrorism based on a platform of being the Terrorism President.

bilbo
08-31-2004, 03:44 PM
This is serious if he can't keep a clear and on target approach to terrorism based on a platform of being the Terrorism President.

It is also troubling in the aspect that we are being asked to forego certain civil liberties, all in the name of winning the war on terror. :rolleyes:
If dipshit doesn't know if we can win, what's the use?

Echewta
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Anwar drilling distraction?

Bob
08-31-2004, 04:02 PM
moon base

Whois
08-31-2004, 04:17 PM
moon base

Alpha?

"SPACE 1999"

:D

Echewta
08-31-2004, 04:32 PM
And a Mars base.

infidel
08-31-2004, 05:32 PM
If flip-flopping means changing the way you do things or your opinion based on constantly changing new input give me the guy who flips the most.
That's bush's problem, he gets fixated on something and won't change even when he knows it's wrong. His handlers know this though, that's why he's flipping more lately, to get reelected.

Bob
08-31-2004, 08:29 PM
there ya go...rush asking the hard hitting questions

Abe Froman
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
"I don't think you can win it," Mr. Bush replied. "But I think you can create conditions so that those who use terror as a tool are less acceptable in parts of the world."

As recently as July 14, Mr. Bush had drawn a far sunnier picture. "I have a clear vision and a strategy to win the war on terror," he said...........

I don't think you can win but i have a clear vision and a strategy to win.

OK???? How is that out of context?

Bob
08-31-2004, 10:00 PM
well, from the wonderful completely not at all biased link that sisko blessed us with (the banner ad when i clicked it said "ALL YOU NEED TO PROVE THE LEFT IS WRONG: THE LIMBAUGH LETTER". objectivity!), you'll see that we're completely slaughtering what bush really said:

RUSH: Let's talk about the American Legion convention. I watched your speech there this morning, and the Democrats are harping on something you said yesterday, or that was aired yesterday on the Today Show with Matt Lauer about your comment about we can't win it, meaning the war on terror. I think I know what you meant but John Edwards is out there saying (paraphrased), "A-ha! Bush is now flip-flopping, and we, John Kerry and I, we can win this, and Bush is..." What did you mean by this?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I appreciate you bringing that up. Listen, I should have made my point more clear about what I meant. What I meant was that this is not a conventional war. It is a different kind of war. We're fighting people who have got a dark ideology who use terrorists, terrorism, as a tool. They're trying to shake our conscience. They're trying to shake our will, and so in the short run the strategy has got to be to find them where they lurk. I tell people all the time, "We will stay on the on the offense. We will bring them to justice in foreign lands so we don't have to face them here at home," and that's because you cannot negotiate with these people. And in a conventional war there would be a peace treaty or there would be a moment where somebody would sit on the side and say we quit. That's not the kind of war we're in, and that's what I was saying. The kind of war we're in requires, you know, steadfast resolve, and I will continue to be resolved to bring them to justice, but as well as to spread liberty. And this is one of the interesting points of the debate, Rush, is that, you know, I believe societies can be transformed because of liberty, and I believe that Iraq and Afghanistan will be free nations, and I believe that those free nations right there in the heart of the Middle East will begin to transform that region into a more hopeful place, which in itself will be a detriment to the ability to these terrorists to recruit -- and that's what I was saying. I probably needed to be a little more articulate.

so you see, when bush said "i don't think we can win it", what he really meant was "we're winning". see? context!

seamus129
08-31-2004, 10:55 PM
I just think that the media really hung on ever word for kerry and bush in this election so far. That the idea that iraq is vietnam is just total bs can the War on terror be one yes not by Presidents but WE THE PEOLE

bilbo
08-31-2004, 11:00 PM
I just think that the media really hung on ever word for kerry and bush in this election so far. That the idea that iraq is vietnam is just total bs can the War on terror be one yes not by Presidents but WE THE PEOLE

LOL :p
If it looks like a quagmire and walks like a quagmire, it's a quagmire.

seamus129
08-31-2004, 11:23 PM
I like to see the Mike Moore plan on 911 or Kerry shit the fan that day. Look Iraq will one day be a place were voice freedom reguardless of theoracy will be heard .

Bob
08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
what

seamus129
09-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Bush I think has been treated harshly by the media. How can he be thought flip floping if take the fight to terrorists, he took stand before UN. When they said no war he had the conviction to hold true to his own doctrine

bilbo
09-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Bush I think has been treated harshly by the media. How can he be thought flip floping if take the fight to terrorists, he took stand before UN. When they said no war he had the conviction to hold true to his own doctrine

Wow, another gmsisko
:eek:

seamus129
09-01-2004, 12:34 AM
What I guess I am nerd for supporting my President

infidel
09-01-2004, 05:00 AM
What I guess I am nerd for supporting my PresidentNo, just extremely gullible, wanna buy a bridge?

jegtar
09-01-2004, 06:55 AM
inch whippers
Thats is funny. It ranks up there with "shit bathers"

jegtar
09-01-2004, 06:57 AM
:rolleyes: Are you going to correct my grammar yet?

No I'm not going to play teacher with you anymore, Bimbo! Now go back down to your mom's basement and read your comic books!

cennay
09-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Flip-Flop-back to Flip again :rolleyes:

After Citing Doubt, Bush Declares 'We Will Win' Terror War
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:32 p.m. ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- President Bush said Tuesday ``we will win'' the war on terror, seeking to quell controversy and Democratic criticism over his earlier remark that victory may not be possible.

In a speech to the national convention of the American Legion, Bush said, ``We meet today in a time of war for our country, a war we did not start yet one that we will win..........

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-CVN-Bush.html?hp
There is no war for your country, you are manipulated...

Funkaloyd
09-01-2004, 07:17 AM
When they said no war he had the conviction to hold true to his own doctrine

Just like Bin Laden, who attacked America despite past condemnations of terrorism by pretty much the whole world. That's what we need in a leader!

GreenEarthAl
09-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Wow, another gmsisko
:eek:

Actually this one seems a LOT more like freetibet.

catatonic
09-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Look. Bush said recently that we can win the war on terror.

Who cares about flip-flops? Who cares if he "flip-flopped" on Osama Bin Laden, the environment, education, homeland security, and the 9/11 commission. I can do falling to the side somersaults.

With Kerry and the $87 billion it wasn't even a flip-flop. The first $87 billion was for paying the $87 billion on the backs of the rich, and most of the GOP voted against it. Then they made a bill that the rest would pay and John Kerry voted against and the GOP for.

infidel
09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
The bushites sure like to use Kerry's quote that "I actually voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it" without even knowing what he meant. It proves how ignorant they really are, cracks me up every time one of the ilk uses it.
They might as well just say, "Hey look how stupid I am." Same goes for the people who listen to it and agree. This includes the entire RNC when they clapped over it when Giuliani repeated it again last night.

Kerry made the choice to fully fund the military's request, but in a fiscally responsible way. He co-sponsored an amendment to the $87 billion bill, which funded the military by rolling back an equal amount from Bush's tax give-aways for the wealthiest Americans.

Kerry voted for the responsible version of the bill. But his amendment was defeated by three votes because a majority of lawmakers thought taking on more debt was a better choice for the nation than rolling back tax cuts for the wealthy. Kerry protested this fiscal irresponsibility by voting no on the other version of the bill, which is now law and is being funded by the federal government borrowing more money from China.

D_Raay
09-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Don't listen to thes liberal inch whippers. (An extreme liberal taught me that word, and I laughed myh ass off)

We can't talk smarts into liberal inch whippers.
You got it right sisko. "We can not talk smarts".

Bob
09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Wrong I W.

I W?

100% ILL
09-01-2004, 12:10 PM
I W?

inch whipper

Echewta
09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
inch whipper? WTF does that mean?

bilbo
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
No I'm not going to play teacher with you anymore, Bimbo! Now go back down to your mom's basement and read your comic books!

Anymore? You haven't addressed it once. Why is that?
Bimbo? Mom's basement? Comic books? Wow, that really cuts to the heart. :rolleyes:
I suggest you grow up. You're coming across like a big suck on a sour lemon.

100% ILL
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
inch whipper? WTF does that mean?

You'll have to ask gisikmo that

Bob
09-01-2004, 01:54 PM
he explained it (i guess?) in another thread: he says an extreme liberal called him that once and he loved it so now he uses it once (at least!) in every post. now i guess he's abbreviating it too.

Echewta
09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
yes, i read where he was called it and loved it so much he was hoping they would change the constitution so that he could marry a phrase but I still don't understand what it means.

Bob
09-01-2004, 04:28 PM
yes, i read where he was called it and loved it so much he was hoping they would change the constitution so that he could marry a phrase but I still don't understand what it means.

haha...i dunno, it's probably penis-related

i checked urbandictionary.com, i even googled it, absolutely nothing comes up

infidel
09-01-2004, 04:35 PM
inch whipper = he who beats a tiny meat???

Vladimir
09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Wrong I W no one has ever called me an Inch Whipper. You are nothing but an Inch Whipping lying liberal!

Come on, sisko, why don't you stop flinging insults and actually respond to the topic for once? You are just an ignerent, lying conservative!!!!!! Can sisko stand to take a dose of his own medicine?

What a tool.

BoominShakey
09-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I really don't see this as a flip-flop. If anything, it's more of a "nuance" -- something that Kerry knows well and is quite fond of. I took it as saying that in the "War on Terror" , there won't be a great defining moment such as in WWII, where the enemy is defeated and world terrorism ceases to exist. I took at as another acknowledgement that the "War on Terror" is a long term operation that will have to be fought on many fronts and at many different levels, not all of them necessarily military in nature. I took it as saying that the "War on Terror" is more about eliminating existing threats and making new ones think a little harder before they jump in the game.

I think that, on both sides of any issue, you need to be able to read a little more into someone's words than exactly what is spoken. Take things out of context, and you can turn just about any two statements a person makes on any particular issue, into a flip-flop.

Bob
09-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Wrong I W no one has ever called me an Inch Whipper. You are nothing but an Inch Whipping lying liberal!

you're an inch whipper

LOL now youre a liar too

Don't listen to thes liberal inch whippers. (An extreme liberal taught me that word, and I laughed myh ass off)

We can't talk smarts into liberal inch whippers.

was the original explanation. my mistake

bilbo
09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
there won't be a great defining moment such as in WWII, where the enemy is defeated and world terrorism ceases to exist. I took at as another acknowledgement that the "War on Terror" is a long term operation that will have to be fought on many fronts and at many different levels, not all of them necessarily military in nature. I took it as saying that the "War on Terror" is more about eliminating existing threats and making new ones think a little harder before they jump in the game.

That's exactly what right wing radio said yesterday. Thanks for the talking points.

BoominShakey
09-01-2004, 08:52 PM
That's exactly what right wing radio said yesterday. Thanks for the talking points.

Did it? I was listening to npr all day...

bilbo
09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
NPR has more right wing guests than liberals, so that wouldn't surprise me. However, I think you're lying.

BoominShakey
09-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Like I said in another thread, different people coming to the same or similar conclusions about something all the time, it doesn't necessarily mean that any of them either copied someone else's position or just fell in line with the crowd.

So, you think I'm lying? Fine. I think you're a tool. I'm sure you're hurt, just like I am.

I'd still be interested in reading anything you could manage to post that had some actual substance to it, instead of just junior high school retorts. Want to give it a try?

bilbo
09-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Like I said in another thread, different people coming to the same or similar conclusions about something all the time, it doesn't necessarily mean that any of them either copied someone else's position or just fell in line with the crowd.

So, you think I'm lying? Fine. I think you're a tool. I'm sure you're hurt, just like I am.

I'd still be interested in reading anything you could manage to post that had some actual substance to it, instead of just junior high school retorts. Want to give it a try?

How's this for a substance laden retort?

Did it? I was listening to npr all day...

Echewta
09-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Looks like Bush is suddenly interested in looking into allowing Americans to buy their drugs over the border. Talk is cheap just like most Americans health costs. Opss.

Against it, now getting close to being for it. I thought that drug card program was going to help everyone. Oh, just the elderly? Oh, in a few years?