PDA

View Full Version : Party suggestions?

ms.peachy
08-31-2004, 05:06 AM
Okay everyone! Need your best ideas for a Saturday afternoon party I'm hostessing on the in a week and a half.

It's a friends 29th birthday, will be outside weather permitting but not a BBQ. Approx 20 adults and half a dozen or so rugrats.

Doesn't need to be super-impressive, but I'd like to have something other than the usual pasta salad and potato chips. Any ideas for something mildly sophisticated yet not too fussy?

jabumbo
08-31-2004, 08:52 AM
instead of a birthday cake, you should make one of those pizza size chocolate chip cookies. they are excellent...or you could just make it, and cut it up into odd little shapes. because we all know cookies taste better when they are not circular

ms.peachy
08-31-2004, 11:35 AM
instead of a birthday cake, you should make one of those pizza size chocolate chip cookies. they are excellent...or you could just make it, and cut it up into odd little shapes. because we all know cookies taste better when they are not circular
Not a bad idea thanks, but someone else is on cake duty. I'm in charge of proper food food.

NicRN77
08-31-2004, 02:48 PM
One of my friends always makes a bread bowl dip. She says the recipe is on the back of the Lipton soup box...some herb dip. Very yummy! I'm sure you could find it if you just go look for the Lipton box.

Brass_Munkey
08-31-2004, 05:10 PM
Mix up a little brass monkey then slap it around

bobbydigital
08-31-2004, 05:34 PM
crack and potatoe salad

Phosphoros
09-01-2004, 01:57 AM
I suggest a fruit salsa. I don't really have a recipe, I make it a little different each time. But basically you take your basics, tomato, cilantro, & jalepenos (or hot pepper of choice) and add a variety of fruit to it. Some suggestions: strawberry, mandarine orange, mango, starfruit, grannysmith apple, etc... I've never found a fruit that didn't work well in it. I have to say that the first time I heard of it I thought it sounded really strange, but it's quite good. Serve cold with tortilla chips.

ms.peachy
09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
crack and potatoe salad
yeah right, like I'm going to waste perfectly good crack like that.

That shit ain't free, you know. I gotta have my ass on the corner twelve hours a day as it is.

HEIRESS
09-01-2004, 06:18 PM
prawns onna stick

marinate the prawns in lime juice, salt pepper and hot chili flakes

then thread onto wooden sticks and grill up

HEIRESS
09-01-2004, 06:27 PM
oh fah shoah

Tone Capone
09-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Hot links!

jabumbo
09-02-2004, 08:56 AM
prawns onna stick

marinate the prawns in lime juice, salt pepper and hot chili flakes

then thread onto wooden sticks and grill up

that could possibly be the best idea ever...

like2_drink
09-02-2004, 10:58 AM
some alcohol :D

make it strong (y)

SpanishFly
09-02-2004, 11:42 AM
I have a really good Key Lime pie recipe.

1 large graham cracker pie crust
1 container of Cool Whip (not the little bitty one...but not the overly huge one either...I think it's like 12 oz or something)
1 can of Eagle Brand Condensed Milk (it has a happy cow on the can)
1 can of lime juice concentrate from the freezer section

Thaw out the lime juice concentrate so it's not all icy. Mix all the Cool Whip and condensed milk in a bowl and mix it up. Add the lime concentrate to taste...you won't need the whole can. Mix it together so it's all creamy and pour it in the pie crust. Cover and put in the freezer and let it set. Sometimes I also dribble chocolate on the top of mine.

It takes all of 5 minutes to make and it's really delicious. (If you like Key Lime pie.) :)

ms.peachy
09-02-2004, 01:31 PM
cheers guys. I do like the luau thing but as I said, although it's outside, no BBQ (so, no prawns on a stick either!)

I might make the key lime pie some other time though - I love key lime pie, reminds me of going to Florida as a kid. Will have to get some graham crackers shipped in from the US though - they don't really exist here!

HEIRESS
09-04-2004, 11:55 AM
that could possibly be the best idea ever...

oh its f'in good alright

jabumbo
09-04-2004, 09:37 PM
would your average seafood stop carry prawns? and if so, how much do they usually run?

ms.peachy
09-05-2004, 05:13 AM
Know what guys, thanks for all of your lovely suggestions but I've decided I am taking the easy way out and just getting it catered! LOL Not for lack of food ideas; more like just for lack of time - I was starting to get a bit freaky the other day with planing and figuring out when I was going to have time to cook this and clean that and shop for this and prepare that and pcik up the other thing and oh, go to my very busy full-time job and all and mr.peachy just looked at me and said "You know, we can just pay other people to do all that stuff" And I just thought, yeah, you know, let's do that.

Thanks anyway folks!

HEIRESS
09-05-2004, 08:58 AM
would your average seafood stop carry prawns? and if so, how much do they usually run?

Your average grocery store should carry prawns

For five bucks I get enough to fill up two people