PDA

View Full Version : spaghetti sauce?

jabumbo
08-31-2004, 08:54 AM
ok, so i sort of have a recipie for a good tomato based sauce, but i have never actually done it without being directed, so its still all new to me

so im looking for a basic sauce that i can make given that i buy some cans of tomatoes and any spices and such...

please keep in mind that my spices are limited right now, and i can get more, but nothing too zany that isnt easily picked up at the grocers...

brooklyn_bred
09-03-2004, 02:26 AM
add some meatballs and parmasean cheese, then you have yourself a full meal

jabumbo
09-03-2004, 01:39 PM
from the psuedo recipie i got this summer, we used chicken wings to start with...that was tasty, but i have no food in my fridge right now

Rocks So Well
09-07-2004, 08:11 PM
I make an exquisite spaghetti sauce.

I don't measure when I cook, so I hope you operate the same way.

Tomatoes w/ some juice
can of tomato paste
crushed garlic
small onion
small pepper
some ground beef
oregano
salt
pepper
pinch of sugar (kills the acidity of tomatoes)

simmer for an hour to an hour and a half and voila.....

cosmo105
09-07-2004, 09:46 PM
i have oregano and rosemary plants in my yard. when i make italian, i go out and pick just a teeny bit of each and crush it in my tomato sauce. the freshness adds a lot of kick. i've also got a wicked little mix of organic "italian" spices in one bottle that i like to mix to tomato sauce to make my own pizza sauce.
try sauteeing some bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms in olive oil and adding them to marinara (y)

HEIRESS
09-07-2004, 10:15 PM
tomatoes
tomato paste
onion
salt
pepper
lots of garlic
lots of thyme (maybe rosemary and oregano if you want)
lil teeny tiny bit of sugar

and usually I add fresh tomatoes, carrots and zucchini

you cant fuck it up

hitmonlee
09-08-2004, 02:03 AM
what heiress said, but add basil and red wine

YOU HAVE TO HAVE BASIL!

Calimero jr.
09-08-2004, 05:18 AM
what heiress said, but add basil and red wine

YOU HAVE TO HAVE BASIL!

(y) and fresh one if possible, to be added at the end !!! Adds a lot of nice flavour

jabumbo
09-08-2004, 10:34 AM
i've also got a wicked little mix of organic "italian" spices in one bottle

hook a brother up? i have some generic brand italian spices...

if its not raining tomorrow, i am going to the store to get some tomatos and hopefully fill out the spice collection...

thanks for all the suggestions though. i will use them all to tweak out a superior sauce than i ever thought possible...does anyone put chopped up raw tomatoes in there? ive always just seen canned tomatoes from what i can remember

adam_f
09-08-2004, 02:21 PM
It's gonna rain tomorrow, jabumbo. That's what Kevin Benson said on Channel 11.

hitmonlee
09-08-2004, 10:43 PM
thanks for all the suggestions though. i will use them all to tweak out a superior sauce than i ever thought possible...does anyone put chopped up raw tomatoes in there? ive always just seen canned tomatoes from what i can remember

i use tomato paste, tinned tomatoes and fresh tomato
not because i really like it, but i usually have a few that need to be used.

HEIRESS
09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
yeah make sauce when you have some tomatoes that are gettin too ripe and gushy to use in a salad

jabumbo
09-10-2004, 01:13 PM
tomorrow i am going to get the stuff i need, and sunday will be spaghetti day...can't wait for a nice meal

adam_f
09-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Are you gonna have a sleepover? Are you gonna talk about boys and stuff with your girlfriends?

monkey
09-10-2004, 05:34 PM
can i come? i want a nice sunday meal. i want a nice meal, period. last time i ate real food....

jabumbo
09-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Are you gonna have a sleepover? Are you gonna talk about boys and stuff with your girlfriends?

yes...i am...

actually, a couple guy were over watching the football game, and they stayed because it smelled so wonderful

ill cook for you anytime pauli! come on over!