PDA

View Full Version : Zell Miller makes a complete ass out of himself

saz
09-02-2004, 04:35 PM
This has to be some of the funniest shit ever:

Maybe Zell Miller was just strung too tight following his wild-eyed attack on John Kerry Wednesday night. But following his prime-time convention address, he made the rounds on the cable TV circuit and stole the show -- and not in a good way.

Miller's speech was so over-the-top (he essentially questioned Kerry's loyalty to America), it prompted mild-mannered talking head David Gergen to compare Miller to racist demagogue Lester Maddox, while Time's Joe Klein had to pick his jaw up off the ground before he could analyze it.

But Miller's post-speech cable performance was even more jaw-dropping, as he first badly fumbled questions from CNN anchors, then lost it with "Hardball's" Chris Matthews, repeatedly challenging the MSNBC host to a duel and telling him to "shut up."

On CNN, he came under respectful but close questioning from Wolf Blitzer, Judy Woodruff and Jeff Greenfield, who pressed the wayward Democrat about why he mocked Kerry for using the phrase "occupiers" when describing U.S. troops in Iraq (Miller prefers "liberators"), when President Bush has himself used the same phrase for the same U.S. troops.

Miller clearly had no idea that was the case and passed on giving a response. He was also asked why just three years ago he had introduced Kerry in Georgia as an American hero who had worked hard for our nation's security (the speech is still up on Miller's web site (http://miller.senate.gov/speeches/030101jjdinner.htm)). Miller suggested he was new to the Senate at the time and basically didn't know what he was talking about.

And about those weapons system votes that Miller criticized Kerry for making over a decade ago -- wasn't it true that while as secretary of defense Dick Cheney raised similar doubts about those very same systems? Miller said he'd let Cheney answer that himself.

Finally, Blitzer asked Miller why he looked so angry during his speech, and couldn't that hurt the cause he was pushing? Miller, who in fact looked like he was suffering from flashback Atlanta road rage at the podium periodically, said he was sorry if he came across as angry because he didn't mean to.

But that was just the warm-up. Next it was over to Chris Matthews' "Hardball" on MSNBC where Miller, perhaps still bruised by his wobbly CNN showing, just plain lost it. Actually, Miller appeared from Madison Square Garden, while "Hardball's" set was over in Herald Square.

And when Miller was announced he was greeted with a chorus of "boos" by the crowd of local Democrats assembled behind the "Hardball" taping area. Things went downhill for Miller from there.

Matthews asked Miller to defend his speech, and particularly his allegations that John Kerry voted "against" various defense appropriations. (As both Matthews and Miller know, voting against a large appropriations bill doesn't necessarily mean that you disapprove of every part of the bill).

Miller got progressively angrier as Matthews persisted in holding him to his statement, telling Matthews several times that he wished he was in the studio so he could "get up in your face."

As Miller steamed, Matthews asked him if he thought that he was helping the political discourse in the country, and then, whether he even thought he was helping the Republicans by what he was saying.

At that point Miller's meltdown peaked. He started waving his arms around, demanding Matthews "shut up" and let him answer the question. Miller then lapsed into a dialogue with himself wondering, "I don't know why I even came on this program," before returning to Matthews and announcing he wished they lived in a previous era because he would have "challenged you to a duel."

Thursday morning, Miller may deny he was serious when he said all of that, but the semi-deranged expression on his face at that moment suggested he'd truly lost control. Matthews, slightly embarrassed by the whole thing, laughed off Miller's left-field explosion, and invited him back tonight in person for a "more civil discussion."

More important, Matthews insisted the show would get great ratings because everybody would be waiting to see if Miller was going to "beat me up."

Later, country star Larry Gatlin told MSNBC's Ron Reagan that Matthews was "out of line" and "rude." When the live audience booed, Gatlin told them, "Shut up or we'll have another duel." Another example of how Republicans are making good on George Bush's 2000 promise to "change the tone" of American politics -- apparently substituting dueling for debate.

"Tonight was the night of the Angry White Men at the Republican Convention," said former Howard Dean campaign manager Joe Trippi, quickly adding, "I don't mean that in a bad way," as if he was just too tired to get into a fight over it.

Eric Boehlert, Salon.com

abdulmohammad
09-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Zell Miller killed it...we need more Democrats like him. He knows the truth, he's part of yalls party, he smells the bitch in Kerry.

saz
09-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Whoa Fern....pretty enlightening stuff. We can always count on you for that. I thought the point of your alias was to come across like some sort of stereotypical version of a black muslim Republican, but you're using southern slang and terms like "yall"

Jasonik
09-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Whoa Fern....pretty enlightening stuff. We can always count on you for that. I thought the point of your alias was to come across like some sort of stereotypical version of a black muslim Republican, but you're using southern slang and terms like "yall"

What stereotype are you relying on?

I particularly like this part after the 'yall', "...he smells the bitch in Kerry."

Echewta
09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
I like how the Republicans put up the biggest Flip-Flopper to speak at their convention. Oh wait, thats tonight.

Dixiecrat indead.

saz
09-02-2004, 05:26 PM
What stereotype are you relying on?

You're trying too hard

DroppinScience
09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
You're trying too hard

He raises a good point. There sure aren't very many black Muslim Republicans in existence, so who's to know how the "stereotypical" ones act? :confused: :p

abdulmohammad
09-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Anazinazi, son you need to catch a beatdown. The fern shit shows how much of a massive douche you are...the only name i ever been on this shit is abdulmohammad, if i get booted and come back as another name you'll fuckin know it, look at the shit dude would post, half of it is in line with your bitchass liberal shit. Take a hot minute to take Michael Moores cock outcha mouth. You are one whinyass little kid. But just goes to show there is justice in this world...no matter how much you whine on here like a 7 year old Canadian girl, you still can't vote here and that's hot to death.

saz
09-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Anazinazi, son you need to catch a beatdown. The fern shit shows how much of a massive douche you are...the only name i ever been on this shit is abdulmohammad, if i get booted and come back as another name you'll fuckin know it, look at the shit dude would post, half of it is in line with your bitchass liberal shit. Take a hot minute to take Michael Moores cock outcha mouth. You are one whinyass little kid. But just goes to show there is justice in this world...no matter how much you whine on here like a 7 year old Canadian girl, you still can't vote here and that's hot to death.

Hey Fern, are you threatening me with physical violence?

Oh, and I love it how you make the assumption, from a message board mind you, that I'm a little kid.....right.

Your stupidity and ignorance comes through time and time again. You clearly can't debate or discuss an issue at length, so you result to this sort of garbage.

Face it Fern, you're an idiot...you're a loser and you're a moron.

bilbo
09-02-2004, 09:49 PM
I like how the GOP dumped Zig-Zag Zell less than 24 hours after he gave his speech. :p

GOP backs away from Miller’s blast
Democrat ‘speaking for himself,’ Bush aide says

After gauging the harsh reaction from Democrats and Republicans alike to Sen. Zell Miller’s keynote address at the Republican National Convention, the Bush campaign — led by the first lady — backed away Thursday from Miller’s savage attack on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, insisting that the estranged Democrat was speaking only for himself.

Late Thursday, Miller’s name was removed from the list of dignitaries who would be sitting in the first family’s box during the president’s acceptance speech later in the evening. No explanation was immediately offered, but the change was made only a few hours after Laura Bush, asked about Miller’s deeply personal denunciation of his own party’s nominee, said in an interview with NBC News that “I don’t know that we share that point of view.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5897622/

Vladimir
09-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Wow. That guy's career is so in the shitter. He thought that he would get excepted by the GOP, but now that he's done their dirty work for them, they are throwing him out on the street. Oh well, as far as I'm concerned he deserved it. They sure seemed to be enjoying his speech at the time. :D

DroppinScience
09-02-2004, 10:36 PM

For someone who complains that liberals whine a lot, you do more than your fair share for this forum.

Go eat a dick. :p

abdulmohammad
09-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Oh, and I love it how you make the assumption, from a message board mind you, that I'm a little kid.....right.

Who talks like this? oh that's right, a 7 year old Canadian girl. Well check it out herb, keep posting your whiney diatribes from your "country" and maybe you'll be able to influence some American voters. But for all this work you doin, it's all gonna fall apart come November...so is it really worth it, all the trolling you do on here? Your dilluted bitchmade mind believes conspiracy theories, probably thinking the GOP pays people like us to come on here. Your racist inbreeding and stereotyping helps create this picture in your mind of the "typical" republican...white and male....you don't even know of the thousands of us who are of color fighting the bigotry of the left. But it's all gravy...we still got it locked GWB 04

vicious cycle
09-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Who talks like this? oh that's right, a 7 year old Canadian girl. Well check it out herb, keep posting your whiney diatribes from your "country" and maybe you'll be able to influence some American voters. But for all this work you doin, it's all gonna fall apart come November...so is it really worth it, all the trolling you do on here? Your dilluted bitchmade mind believes conspiracy theories, probably thinking the GOP pays people like us to come on here. Your racist inbreeding and stereotyping helps create this picture in your mind of the "typical" republican...white and male....you don't even know of the thousands of us who are of color fighting the bigotry of the left. But it's all gravy...we still got it locked GWB 04

please get back on the meds.. my son...
at least when you plan on communicating with the rest of the human race...

D_Raay
09-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Let's get something straight there you so-called black muslim, you want to threaten someone here you go ahead and threaten me. I assure you I am no 7 year old girl from Canada.
As far as Zell Miller goes, My jaw is still on the floor. HE CHALLENGED CHRIS MATTHEWS TO A DUEL ON LIVE NATIONAL TV . Are you kidding me? What in the hell is going on here? Is this guy non compus mentus or what? I am glad he went over to the dark side because he is an embarassment to the left.
You know the more I think about, the more my mind begins to wonder if this was a staged series of events. Which side it is for I am not sure. Could the left benefit from this? On the surface it appears so. But then everything lately seems to benefit the right somehow and they are the underhanded sneaky ones. Guess I'll have to run it through my head some more but would appreciate some feedback. Other than the so called black muslim's.

saz
09-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Whoa dude....seriously, that's the best you can do?

Whiney diatribes? More like facts and articles which aren't from your corporate media. Trolling? Look who's talking....my threads rock the house, meanwhile you're the troll who's best rebutal is 'go eat a dick', with nothing intelligent or interesting to contribute whatsoever. And your 'dilluted bitchmade mind' believes the propaganda of the Republican Party and the corporate media. You really do live in a bubble. Oh now...I'm the racist one? And who was the one who called Pedro Martinez a 'stupid spic', eh?

I agree, I think Bush II probably will be re-elected come November, because your country is filled to the brim with idiots like you (and Americans wonder why they're hated around the world). Regardless....don't come crying to us when the draft is re-instated and you're forced to become cannon fodder for the American war machine....haha, you could end up dying for Dick Cheney and a fucked-up radical ideology.

EN[i]GMA
09-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Either way we get the government we deserve.

infidel
09-04-2004, 05:35 PM
...but there are a SHITLOAD of people who didn't vote in the last election who WILL vote in the 2004 election
No kidding, I know people who are 40 years old who will be voting for the first time just to kick the dolt out of office.

Agree on the landside also, first time voters aren't included in the polls that say it's close to a tie.

I'm going to love seeing bush and his minions go down, just wish he couldn't be thrown in prison too, preferably at Gitmo or in Iraq.

Documad
09-05-2004, 08:31 PM
As far as Zell Miller goes, My jaw is still on the floor. HE CHALLENGED CHRIS MATTHEWS TO A DUEL ON LIVE NATIONAL TV. . . You know the more I think about, the more my mind begins to wonder if this was a staged series of events. Which side it is for I am not sure. Could the left benefit from this? On the surface it appears so. But then everything lately seems to benefit the right somehow and they are the underhanded sneaky ones. Guess I'll have to run it through my head some more but would appreciate some feedback.

At the time, I thought the Zell Miller craziness was a benefit to the left -- the same way that Pat Buchanan's extremist comments at the RNC in 1990 exposed the dark underbelly of the Republicans, and helped elect Clinton. But then I thought that Miller is technically a Democrat and they could say he was not speaking for the RNC. Finally, I wondered whether anyone but me is even watching the thing.

I agree with whoever said that the audience rabidly endorsed Miller's comments at the time. And how telling that once he did their dirty work, they cast him out.