PDA

View Full Version : did any watch the republican convention?

sticky icky
09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
did anyone really watch the convention? if you did you would have noticed that the crowd was a bunch of high rollers and old folks. granted i'm not the youngest in the bunch but did you see the bling bling in that hall? i personally am unifilliated and believe to each his/her own. but i can tell you something, the reallity behind a republican government is that the rich get richer and the poor well they just lose everything. but it comes down to who is the lesser of the two evils. which way is up? like green day says "don't want to be an american idiot", well i think its to late for the older gernerations but for us we have a chance to over come and make a difference. i really hope that when the time comes everyone will speak out in the polls, the way they feel is nessasary. now if we could just completly legalize Marijuana we would be good to go.

Gabriely
09-05-2004, 10:01 AM
PAUL RICHMOND : "Every minute of the Republican Convention reminds me why the Green Party called for President Bush's impeachment in July, 2003. Americans are less secure after four years of Bush. His invasion of Iraq, which had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks, squandered worldwide good will for the U.S. after the attacks and inflamed Muslims around the world against us. Worst of all, a second Bush term probably means passage of the USA Patriot Act Part II, giving the Justice Department sweeping powers to suppress free speech and invade privacy."
so truth...

infidel
09-05-2004, 10:57 AM
I watched major portions of both the Rep and Demo conventions. Big difference I noticed between the two besides the obvious political differences was that the Rep convention goers appeared to be much more obese and puffy faced.

ChrisLove
09-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I watched major portions of both the Rep and Demo conventions. Big difference I noticed between the two besides the obvious political differences was that the Rep convention goers appeared to be much more obese and puffy faced.

Interesting...... Republicans are fat you say, this supports my hypothesis

adam_f
09-05-2004, 01:06 PM
HA! I'm a republican, and I'm 6"4', 185 lbs.

ChrisLove
09-05-2004, 01:17 PM

You are an anomoly, Gmsisko is so fat that on average, the two of you are still fat. Sorry

QueenAdrock
09-05-2004, 02:02 PM
^Hahaha...I just snarfled my water :-/

bilbo
09-05-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm sure both parties have fatties, but there sure were a lot of corn-fed fat fucks (http://www.on101.com/dishonor2/) in NYC last week. Yeahhhhh (http://www.crocuta.net/Dean/Deans_yeahhh.mp3) :eek:

greedygretchen
09-05-2004, 04:09 PM
my sanity and calm depended on me not watching it- i was extremely pissed off just reading about it in the paper but i loved watching the Daily show coverage of it :D

infidel
09-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Where's Gmsisko to verify the Republican is the party of the fat fuck?
Need some first hand knowledge here.

Documad
09-05-2004, 08:13 PM
my sanity and calm depended on me not watching it- i was extremely pissed off just reading about it in the paper but i loved watching the Daily show coverage of it :D

I agree completely! The only reason I have cable TV this summer is for the Daily Show. How great was their coverage of Zel Miller's challenging that reporter to a duel!

I tried to watch the first night just to see what the enemy is up to but I was too upset by their cynical use of 911 victims for political gain.

Jasonik
09-05-2004, 08:29 PM
I tried to watch the first night just to see what the enemy is up to but I was too upset by their cynical use of 911 victims for political gain.

Mark Steyn: (http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn/cst-edt-steyn05.html)
"On opening night in Boston, the Democrats staged a tasteful, teary candlelight remembrance of those who died on 9/11.

On opening night in New York, the Republicans put up one speaker after another -- John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Ron Silver -- resolved that those thousands of innocents shall not have died in vain.

I remember a couple of days after Sept. 11 writing that weepy candlelight vigils were a cop-out: the issue wasn't whether you were sad about the dead people but whether you wanted to do something about it. Three years on, the two conventions drew the same distinction. If you want passivity and wallowing in victim culture, the Dems will do. If you want to win this thing, Bush is the only guy running."

bilbo
09-05-2004, 09:32 PM
If you're going to use Mark Steyn, you may as well go back to linking to NewsMax. Everyone knows he's a rabid right winger :eek: This is sisko material. Come on, your supposed to be better than that. :rolleyes:

Jasonik
09-05-2004, 10:24 PM
And apparently Documad is a 'rabid' leftwinger. What's your point?

darkgreenforest
09-05-2004, 10:27 PM
I watched both conventions rather intensly. Often I'd watch it first on CNN then the replay on Fox News. I'm a liberal in most aspedcts of my life. The RNC just made me want to puke. All I heard was 9/11, 9/11, war, 9/11/, Kerry is bad, 9/11,9/11. Awful. Yes, the DNC did lash at a Bush, but miniscule at the amount eh RNC lashed out at Kerry. The DNC atleast lashed out at Bush's policy's versus Kerry as man. Terrible. I don't think the RNC could have mentioned 9/11 anymore. And could they attack the Dems anymore? I can safely bet 80% of the speakers singled out and attacked a speaker from the Dem convention.

And how about old Zell? Puh-lease. The Repubs used him and then tossed him aside. He wanted to fight Matthews ffs. And Arnold?!?! We're already seeing his portrayals as youth in Austria are already make-believe. Never mind the fact that Arnold is an "ex"-drug abuser, womanizer, and some-what propponent of Hitler.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/03/schwarzenegger.ap/index.html

The only decent thing to come out of the RNC was McCain's speech. At times, he still seemed a bit dissident over Bush's blatant smear campaign of McCain in 2000. Almost like he had to choke out the words that he supported Bush. The overall messge I took from McCain was END BI-PARTISANSHIP. And I couldn't agree more. But, his messege was just lost on the crowd od purple heart-bandaid wearing ridicurats. Shame on them.

Yes I watched the RNC and yes numerous times I swore at my TV. Both Bush's and Cheney's speeches made me ill. To hear Bush just days before say he couldn't win the war on terror (No teleprompters, NoCheney, No advisors) to then say he could win was just plain sick. We all know it isn't a war you "win." But to hear someone who preeched so damn much about he could win and overcome and "stick by his guns" and then say he couldn't win THEN flip and say he could win at the RNC.... BS! And to top it off just recently admit he had made "some" MISCALCULATIONS in the Iraq war.... who are the people that want to re-elect this man? Who are the people that did elect this man?

I'm at a loss.

bilbo
09-05-2004, 10:56 PM
What's your point?

My point is this (http://members.shaw.ca/spudnewt/sierranaked.jpg/badluck.swf)

Besides, Documad posted a personal opinion, not a link to an editorial. Apples to oranges pal, apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

Jasonik
09-05-2004, 11:35 PM
I couldn't get your link.

Though you would probably rather believe that I get my opinions from Op-Ed pieces, I happen to think there are parts of this particular piece that accurately represent my feelings.

In my own words, the 'blame America handwringing' espoused by the far left following the attack fostered a helpless self hating victim image of the USA. Is this the way to lead a country, by encouraging doubt and pessimism? I believe fighting the terrorists has been good for the morale of this country given the alternative.

Have we over extended ourselves, have we bitten off more than we can chew? These questions have a self fulfilling nature. For those that see the country advancing on multiple fronts against groups who operate outside the conventions of normal global relations with violence and terror, the news is good. For those who see us burning countless diplomatic bridges and angering groups who will be inspired to do violence against us, there can be no good news until the US refrains from any sort of military aggression defensive or offensive.

I can't say a hawk makes the best commander in chief, but compared to a politically correct pushover, I'll go with the hawk anyday.

bilbo
09-06-2004, 12:01 AM
I believe fighting the terrorists has been good for the morale of this country given the alternative.

Yeah, too bad about the needless side adventure in Iraq :rolleyes:

Adios, gotta watch Jerry (http://www.wltx.com/assetpool/images/0291003819_jerry%20lewis.jpg)

darkgreenforest
09-06-2004, 12:15 AM
All aplogies, try copy and pasting the links to a new browser if they don't work. My intention is that they work as I post them in my links. I do not try to mislead. Usually I post my links from cnn since usually most people can somewhat agree with CNN.

As to topic: "For those that see the country advancing on multiple fronts against groups who operate outside the conventions of normal global relations with violence and terror, the news is good.

Are you "normal?" What does your famliy do for a living. I will call that into question. It sounds like you have normal repub " live for today, f*k the gran kids" mentality.

Jasonik
09-06-2004, 12:46 AM
That I can concieve of a pro-war rationale for use as a rhetorical device somehow makes me abnormal? That I would reference both extreme points of view when making a point calls into question my family's occupations? Because I am a proponent of keeping up national morale and standing up for the defense of the United States in the short term, somehow I don't care about the future? Be careful when making assumptions about me.

BTW I wasn't referring to your CNN link.

Schmeltz
09-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Assumptions make an ass of you and me, but a pro-war rationale is a killing device first and a rhetorical device second. National morale is all well and good, but spilling innocent blood in its name is vile and reprehensible, no matter how many votes in the ballot box it's worth.

greedygretchen
09-06-2004, 09:38 AM
yeah, the Daily Show coverage of Zell's speech was hilarious...I liked when they showed Zell saying something like "We are proud of our brave and honorable soldiers" and then John Stewart goes "unless your name is John Kerry" heehee and also Cheney's wife had a running theme in her speech (kinda similar to Marilyn Quayle's speech when Bush Sr was running for re-election) something in the vein of (okay i'm really paraphrasing because i cannot remember her speech verbatim) "when the hippies were running around naked in the 60's-Dick did not" and then John Stewart goes "and when it was time to go to Vietnam" cut to Mrs.Cheney "Dick did not" John Stewart's great (y)

oh and i read gw's speech in the newspaper...i find it unbelievable that he stated that his government will help improve people's lives-hmm, i thought that Republicans believed in the ol' pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps philosophy of living...he also states that Americans will be free to make their own choices and live their own dreams-but I guess not if those dreams include marrying your same-sex partner. The hypocrisy (of the whole convention) and the move to "compassionate conservatism" in the last day of the convention really sickened me-especially since I just saw Uncovered:The War on Iraq

roosta
09-06-2004, 10:08 AM

It upsets me greatly that some one so young is a Republican.......

hopefully you'll grow out of it!

travesty
09-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Tell me about it. Go to any Wal-Mart in the south and you'll see plenty of super fat fucks with "W" stickers on their pickup trucks. Don't tell me I'm generalizing...I live in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is in the South?
Definitely lots of fat fucks at the RNC but...... I have to admit that there is something very appealing about the young bitchy looking little bob haired daddy's girls that were there. You have to think that if the GOP can mix up thier brains that bad that early, then I could................?!?!?!?

Back to the topic. I personally though the convention was powerful for the GOP. NOT because I agreed with the dialogues, but you have to admit the packaging was slick and I think the protestors made it even more of a draw. I mean, if I was undecided I would definitely have wanted to see why so many people felt compelled to protest and beat up cops over this event, I would want to hear what all the fuss is about. Inquiring minds like mine want to know!!

I was SICK of hearing about Iraq and Terrorism for four nights in a row. Jesus Fuckin' Christ I got the point after McCain and Rudy on the first night. Ahhhnold was clutch, I just like him, even if he is married to Skeletor. I thought he gave a good speech.

Zell was CLASSIC, you have to love his speach just for the entertainment factor, the theatrics were great, all fire and brimstone and shit, only a good ole southern boy could have pulled that off like a Dixiecrat Rod Parsley.

Cheney sucked, sould have made an animated clip of "TV Funhouse" from Saturday NIght Live to do his speach for him. That would have ROCKED, he could have teamed up with the Ronald Reagan character they have.....Balls.

I do think Bushy did a pretty good job in his speach in that he didn't stumble and didn't throw any Bushism in there and generally I was not anxious to flip the channel, he must have rehearsed A LOT. I did like that he FINALLY got to some other topics (after about a half hour) besides terror and I personally feel that he told his position on enough things, albeit vaguely, that the undecideds could get the gist, in case they have been hiding under rocks for the last four years.

Personally I always find it more interesting to watch things outside of what I generally subscribe to. I feel compelled to hear the other point of view, kinda like rooting for the underdog I guess. I mean I know where I stand on things and I am not likely to be swayed, but I just think it's good to hear the otherside. Might make me think a little, might firm up my beliefs a little more. So if I had to play unbiased, undecided American Joe I think the GOP hit a home run compared to the DNC. :cool: