PDA

View Full Version : 98 SPIN Magazine

pass_the_mic
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Does anybody have a scan of this? Thanks (y)

Laver1969
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I believe this is the one where they did three different covers. One with each of the Boys.

I have all three but not scanned. Sorry :(

Thundercracker
09-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Madonna: I think I made out with Adam Yauch once in the dressing room.

WTF?!?!

Gabriely
09-10-2004, 07:03 PM
WTF?!?!
yep baby, now read it:
Yauch: Russell came up to me and said "They're going to kick you off the tour. If you want to stay, you need to go ask Madonna." i went into Madonna's dressing room and was like, "You know, we really like being on tour. Can we stay?" And it worked.
haha...yauch you were a bad bad boy.... ;)

Thundercracker
09-11-2004, 04:00 AM
yeah, i read that, but i still can't belive it!!

Yauch and Madonna?!
(n)

Feel Alright!
09-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Adam Dubin (codirector, "Fight for Your Right (to party)"): Just before Licensed to Ill came out, they were having conversations about whether or not to kick Mike D out, whether he was cool enough to be in the band. They'd ask different people whether he was "Beastie down." It was only by a pretty slim margin that they kept him in.

The Captain: In the early days, it was always Adam and Adam against Mike. Those two used to room together, while me and Mike would room together. They would definitely pick on him. I woke up one morning and there was a pile of dirt on Mike's bed. They'd broken into the hotel room in the middle of the night and dumped a potted plant on him.

:( (n) That's awful.. Imagine what it would have been like if they had kicked him out. :eek:

Johanna
09-11-2004, 12:57 PM
:( (n) That's awful.. Imagine what it would have been like if they had kicked him out. :eek:
if that's true, then i'm sure adams and adam are glad they didn't!

dee_bee_76
09-11-2004, 04:48 PM
It's like they're real life brothers...

It's kinda cute in a way. In a recent interview on Much, Adrock was saying whenever Mike goes on one of his tangents, him and Yauch just kinda nod and wink and him..."whatever you say, Mike, yup!"

;)

beastie_dee
09-11-2004, 06:49 PM
:( (n) That's awful.. Imagine what it would have been like if they had kicked him out.

:mad: jus readin that made me frown. How could they even think of kicking him out? That would have been the biggest mistake. I love Mike. He's my hero :o
haha ok ill shut up.

Gabriely
09-11-2004, 07:18 PM
It's like they're real life brothers...

It's kinda cute in a way. In a recent interview on Much, Adrock was saying whenever Mike goes on one of his tangents, him and Yauch just kinda nod and wink and him..."whatever you say, Mike, yup!"

;)aw.......so cute.....

Feel Alright!
09-12-2004, 05:34 AM
No need to shut up. Mike is my hero too, and he should be everybody's. He's a flippin' genius.

Well said :) And I suppose you can't believe everything you read in these articles.. I'm just hoping it never happened that way.

liberty_a320
09-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I remember the Boys wrote to Spin after the article was published back in '98 about the untruths in it, like what was mentioned earlier. I think Spin responded with something like, "It's an oral history, you can't verify everything everyone said..."

*goes and finds letter to the editor in one of my Beastie binders*

Oh, btw, sorry I haven't posted the old stuff from the binders yet. I've been really busy. :( Soon as I get a chance, though...

[20 minutes later...]

Ah! Here it is:

Ill Communication
We thought as there are some major inaccuracies in your piece on us [cover, September], it would be good to set the record straight. First and most important, the story Doc Dre told regarding our performance at Apollo Theatre was completely made up by him. As it paints us as racist, we thought this to be the most significant thing to inform you and your readership of. But as long as we are bringing up inaccuracies, it is worth noting that everything that Dre said was made up. We can only guess (as we have not spent much time with Dre since that short time that he DJed for us back in '86) that Dre was following in the footsteps of how we used to conduct our interviews back then. In those days, we lied a lot in interviews. In fact, some of those very lies he told were the same things we used to say to interviewers back then. For example, that we were banned from an entire hotel chain as well as an airline, or that we drilled a hole in a hotel floor. Perhaps Dre thought it would be funny to just make the whole interview up, as we used to do. Unfortunately, when his untruths were laid out juxtaposed against everyone else's words (not all of which were accurate either), they came across as history. An especially unfortunate result is that now Time Out New York picked it up from Spin and put it into their piece on the band as though it was true. Doesn't anyone fact-check anymore?

The Beastie Boys
New York, New York

Author Alan Light responds: In an oral history covering 16 years, there are always going to be different accounts of events, and while any inaccuracies are regrettable, we think the structure made clear that this was the Beastie Boys' history as remembered by the people who lived it.
As for the Apollo story, Doctor Dre insists that "it's the truth - it's a fact, it's on tape and videotape." He emphasizes that the incident came about "not maliciously, but out of warmth for their audience. I was talking in very positive terms about them." His only concern about the piece was that it didn't sufficiently express "how much I loved those guys and all the fun we were having."

pass_the_mic
09-16-2004, 07:31 PM
do have a scan of this liberty?

Bourgie
09-16-2004, 07:50 PM
No need to shut up. Mike is my hero too, and he should be everybody's. He's a flippin' genius.

tru dat...Mike "the man" D..what other title fits best?

Bourgie
09-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Spike Jonze (director, "Sabotage"): Everyone was supposed to grow their own facial hair for the video. Yauch forgot and Mike D can't grow any, so they used the glue-on king. But Horovitz grew all his own. He's like that - he does what needs to be done. Yauch is a professionally trained stuntman. The emergency-brake slides and high-speed reverse 180s-that's all him.

Hahaha..I KNEW IT!!

I wonder why he can't though...lol

SpuffyRJ
09-16-2004, 08:55 PM
He was really into Monty Python

That's madd cool. Monty Python is halarious! lol

Thurston Moore (member, Sonic Youth): The Beasties weren't like street rats-they obviously had the edge over everybody else. Their humour was a little more sophisticated, not just fart jokes. Mike D was the skinny kid jumping in the air and landing on the stage like a screaming little bird.

This is also cool. Thurston Moore was/is into the Beasite Boys (y) .

Well I gotta go to sleep so i'll finish reading the article later. Thanks everybody for your info and links. Good Night!

SpuffyRJ
09-17-2004, 09:08 PM
The Captain (Mike D's former roommate; former road manager): Yauch was definitely the worst-the swarthy Beastie Boy with the leather jacket, swaggering and slumping.

.. who knew he'd end up being the opposite later on...

Yauch: Some woman asked us for an autograph in a pretty rude way. We were late and I said, "I'm sorry, we have to go." And she said, "If you don't give me and autograph right now, I'm going to stitch you up in the press." I reacted with something like, "Fuck you," and we drove away. The next day there was a headline in the newspaper that said "Beastie Boys Mock Dying Children."

now that's flippin' crazy.

Simmons: Rick didn't make L.L. Cool J and he didn't make the Beasties, and I didn't make the Run-D.M.C. We didn't sign guys we thought were dependent on us, anyway. And when it turned out good, we shouldn't have taken all the credit. When the fights started between Rick and the group, I regret that I didn't get involved in a more meaningful way..

regrets.. regrets

Yauch would bring along a vial of liquid acid to drop in his eyes when he started hitting the slopes--the double black diamonds.

huh?

The Captain: They built skateboard ramps in there and put a basketball hoop in. You'd hang and play ball and jam.

that's pretty cool =)
Sean Lennon: Check your Head changed my life. The music was brilliant and they had evolved as people and as a band, like when the Beatles did Sgt. Pepper.

that's also cool. Props from John Lennon's son.

The Beasties are the fucking Bugs Bunny of hip-hop. They just come up with the ill shit.

I like that line lol.
But Horovitz grew all his own. He's like that - he does what needs to be done. Yauch is a professionally trained stuntman. The emergency-brake slides and high-speed reverse 180s-that's all him.

Horovitz the hard worker . I didn't know Yauch was a professional stuntman..and that was all him.. is that really true.. cause you guys said that some of the article wasn't true.

Gladstone: The other guys withdrew, but Mike was very hands-on. He has an incredibly good journalistic instinct.

That's pretty cool.
The Captain: Yauch's wedding was crazy. It was the Jews from Brooklyn meet the Buddhists from Tibet [Yauch's wife, Dechen, is Tibetan American]. Things like the Jews dragging the Tibetan out onto the floor to do "Hava Nagilah." And then a traditional Tibetan band played and they dragged all the Jews out to do this weird chanting-stomping thing. Her family got up and gave very regal, kind of Zen speeches. And then Yauch's family got up and embarrassed the fuck out of him.
aww

=) finished the article. Sorry I quoted a lot lol. Good Night everybody.