PDA

View Full Version : Why conservatives must not vote for Bush

saz
09-11-2004, 05:33 PM
A Reaganite argues that Bush is a dangerous, profligate, moralizing radical -- and that his reelection would be catastrophic both for the right and for America.

"A few high-octane speeches cannot disguise the catastrophic failure of the Bush administration in both its domestic and its foreign policies. Mounting deficits are likely to force eventual tax increases, reversing perhaps President Bush's most important economic legacy. The administration's foreign policy is an even greater shambles, with Iraq aflame and America increasingly reviled by friend and foe alike."

"Quite simply, the president, despite his well-choreographed posturing, does not represent traditional conservatism -- a commitment to individual liberty, limited government, constitutional restraint and fiscal responsibility."

"Even Bush's conservative sycophants have trouble finding policies to praise. Certainly it cannot be federal spending. In 2000 candidate Bush complained that Al Gore would "throw the budget out of balance." But the big-spending Bush administration and GOP Congress have turned a 10-year budget surplus once estimated at $5.6 trillion into an estimated $5 trillion flood of red ink. This year's deficit will run about $445 billion, according to the Office of Management and Budget."

"What's more, says former conservative Republican Rep. Bob Barr, 'in the midst of the war on terror and $500 billion deficits, [Bush] proposes sending spaceships to Mars.'"

"Bush's foreign policy record is as bad as his domestic scorecard. The administration correctly targeted the Taliban in Afghanistan, but quickly neglected that nation, which is in danger of falling into chaos. The Taliban is resurgent, violence has flared, drug production has burgeoned and elections have been postponed."

"On almost every issue involving postwar Iraq -- troop strength, international support, the credibility of exiles, de-Baathification, handling Ayatollah Ali Sistani -- Washington's assumptions and policies have been wrong. By now most have been reversed, often too late to have much effect. This strange combination of arrogance and incompetence has not only destroyed the hopes for a new Iraq. It has had the much broader effect of turning the United States into an international outlaw in the eyes of much of the world."

"'Crossfire' host Tucker Carlson said recently: 'I think it's a total nightmare and disaster, and I'm ashamed that I went against my own instincts in supporting it.' William F. Buckley Jr., longtime National Review editor and columnist, wrote: 'With the benefit of minute hindsight, Saddam Hussein wasn't the kind of extra-territorial menace that was assumed by the administration one year ago. If I knew then what I know now about what kind of situation we would be in, I would have opposed the war.'"

Link (http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2004/09/10/conservatives/index.html)

Ace42
09-11-2004, 05:37 PM
What is so wrong with Sistani? Having read his website, I found him to be a moderating influence on would-be fundamentalists. It states catergorically that Muslims in foreign countries have a religious obligation to follow all laws or else go back home.

saz
09-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Sistani seems like a good man and I don't think Bandow was implying that he is a bad guy. I think he's trying to say the administration did not get him involved in post-Saddam Iraq quickly enough.

Ace42
09-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Ah, that reading makes a lot more sense.

saz
09-11-2004, 09:16 PM
The Conservative Case Against George W. Bush (http://www.nypress.com/17/31/news&columns/WilliamBryk.cfm?page=1&last=3)

infidel
09-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Read my lips, there will be tax increases for the middle class if bush is reelected

Phosphoros
09-12-2004, 12:06 AM
These are some very good points to bring up here. Of the people I know who voted for Bush last election, including some dyed-in-the-wool republicans, will not be voting for him again because they feel he has disgraced true conservative values. There are many things I respect about traditional conservative values, especially the preservation of individual liberty (although these were once "classical" liberal values, i.e. John Stuart Mill) but Bush's pandering to the religious right's agenda has rendered him forever incapable of living up to that value. And his pandering to other corporate and special interest groups has sealed his impotence. Truly, for every reason a liberal may have to not vote for Bush, a conservative should see three.

This is why I can never align myself across the board with any party. The issues flip flop faster than a Jacob's ladder.

D_Raay
09-12-2004, 12:34 AM
These are some very good points to bring up here. Of the people I know who voted for Bush last election, including some dyed-in-the-wool republicans, will not be voting for him again because they feel he has disgraced true conservative values. There are many things I respect about traditional conservative values, especially the preservation of individual liberty (although these were once "classical" liberal values, i.e. John Stuart Mill) but Bush's pandering to the religious right's agenda has rendered him forever incapable of living up to that value. And his pandering to other corporate and special interest groups has sealed his impotence. Truly, for every reason a liberal may have to not vote for Bush, a conservative should see three.

This is why I can never align myself across the board with any party. The issues flip flop faster than a Jacob's ladder.
Good points as well. What concerns me is the media. Are they that obtuse? They couldn't be can they? At some point though they will invariably jump ship and then the SS Bush will go down. At least you would think so.

Auton
09-12-2004, 12:34 AM
great thread idea (y)

good work, anasazi