PDA

View Full Version : Voting machines

D_Raay
09-13-2004, 02:30 PM
http://www.jhu.edu/~jhumag/0204web/vote.html
Now this is a long article but definitely worth the read. Some excerpts:

"There are more checks and balances on ATMs than on voting machines," says Barbara Simmons,"which is pretty apalling."
One of the first things they had noticed was a single line:

#define DESKEY ((des_key*) "F2654hd4"

It was from a section of the code that told the terminal how to secure, through encryption, the count of the day's vote on that machine. The code used an encryption protocol called DES, and "F2654hd4," to the astonishment of Stubblefield and Kohno, was the key to the encryption — the combination to the lock on the vault, so to speak. The two graduate students knew that if the DES encryption key had been written into a line of the machine's code, the key had to be the same on every Diebold terminal. Says Stubblefield, "That's the canonical example of how not to do [security]. It's as if there were one password for all the computers at Hopkins."

In the AccuVote software examined by the analysts, the ballot definition, which tells the terminal to display the proper listing of candidates for each office, was not protected and could be modified by anyone who gained access to the data file. Before being recorded on a storage device, the vote records in each machine were encrypted, as already noted, but by an outmoded encryption method (DES) that's been proven to be crackable.

Right after the SAIC report was released, Ehrlich authorized the Maryland Board of Elections to proceed with purchase of the Diebold machines. The governor's decision baffles Rubin. "I can't help but wonder how the state of Maryland could possibly go ahead with this."

Ace42
09-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Obviously they are piping up craq in Annapolis...

QueenAdrock
09-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Ehrlich is a fucking dickhead and I hate him.

With that being said, I heard the man who is designing the 2004 presidential voting machine was quoted as saying "I'd do anything to get Bush into office". Sigh. (n)

Jasonik
09-13-2004, 06:20 PM
Would you rather this or have the whole voting charade being blown by the electoral college disregarding the actual votes and putting Bush back in office?

QueenAdrock
09-13-2004, 06:25 PM
fucked if you do, fucked if you don't

yeahwho
09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I still don't see what was wrong with the last ballot in 2000? Everyones names were clearly spelled out....http://hbar.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/jens/text/jpg00015.jpg

valvano
09-13-2004, 07:03 PM
what's funny is all the democrats bitching about florida and the screwed up election system, yet the vast majority of the local election boards in florida are controlled by democrats

Grasshopper
09-13-2004, 10:59 PM
vote absentee. (lb)

Funkaloyd
09-14-2004, 03:44 AM
No vote is safe (http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=366&row=0) (at least in Florida).

Whois
09-14-2004, 09:04 AM
http://www.blackboxvoting.com

Just in case no one had posted it yet.

D_Raay
09-14-2004, 02:23 PM
As doubts have grown about the reliability of electronic voting, some of its loudest defenders have been state and local election officials. Many of those same officials have financial ties to voting machine companies. While they may sincerely think that electronic voting machines are so trustworthy that there is no need for a paper record of votes, their views have to be regarded with suspicion until their conflicts are addressed.
http://www.hermes-press.com/fixing.htm

QueenAdrock
09-14-2004, 02:34 PM
what's funny is all the democrats bitching about florida and the screwed up election system, yet the vast majority of the local election boards in florida are controlled by democrats

Actually I'm pretty sure the woman in charge of the recount was on the Bush team.

D_Raay
09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Maryland Sen. Barbara Mikulski is joining lawmakers who support legislation that would require electronic voting machines to produce a paper record of ballots. Mikulski's announced support comes a day after a machine she tested at a suburban Washington festival produced an erroneous result.

DjMsvicious
09-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Something has to be done about this. I have lay no trust in the Bush Administration. I think of them like I think about tobacco companies and oil companies, which is needless to say less than unfavourable.

STANKY808
09-14-2004, 02:58 PM

It wasn't dems that purged the voter roles so thousands never cast a ballot and while under-reported in the US, there is info. out there that in some precincts that are comprised of a predominantly black population, local law enforcement officials set up spot checks around polling stations which may or may not have discouraged certain citizens from voting.

http://www.fairvote.org/righttovote/Elsner.htm

D_Raay
09-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Maryland's highest court Tuesday rejected demands for additional safeguards for touchscreen voting machines, saying elections officials have done everything necessary to ensure the paperless devices are accurate and secure. The Court of Appeals also rejected a call to allow citizens who do not trust touchscreen voting to use paper ballots in the Nov. 2 general election.
Bush just won Maryland.

ASsman
09-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Nice job Volvano. And as for electronic.... Wouldn't that just complicate things even MORE, have MORE things go possibly wrong. And the logic behind counting these damn voting cards is retarded, why would waste your time to vote push in the whole of the canidate you wish to select and not have it go through. Then when someone looks at it why would you think that this is somehow unclear? There is a puncture...... Why does this not make sense, the person obviously meant to vote for someone, why would they vote for no one .......