PDA

View Full Version : Hellllllllloooooooo San Francisco

mcamuto
09-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Yup.. Just got back from the SF show and figued I would break it
down.

It was a HOT show. The boys were on. Out of 10 bboy show this is
ranking number 2 or 3 for me I have to say.

Opener with MMM was fresh. he was outside the civic center and they
video taped him coming right in though the main door and thougth
the crowd. that was cool. all the time he was making typical weird
MMM faces.. funny shit. then he got up there and in his homw town
tore it up for the opener. Same opener he has been using for a while
though. I personaly liked the rush opener and a few other ones but oh
well.

The boys came out with sure shot.. nice suprise opener and they were
on fire. even MCA had a lot of energy and shook hands with a a bunch of people.. it was dope.

Second song was eggman.. nice to hear that one. The next i thinik
was time to build which actually came off good live..

Then adrock was like 'i gotta start this one off..' and

HELLLLLLLOOOOOO BROOOOOOKLYN..

i lost it.. first time hearing that in 10 shows.. rad.. they played a few
more jams and they did the instrument thing. I remembered sabrosa i think
and lighten up but no something got to give.. the second hip hop
set was fresh.. olnyc, super disco breaken, all lifestyles.. brass monkey,
paul revere.. body movin. check it ouy, what ya want.

and this was dope.. they had a looped video sample drummer during
a drumming 'break;'. they looped that and mmm with some vido scratched
scrtached it a bit and the did posse in effect with that beat.. it was fresh
as hell. and in posse in effect the the ;catch a groove' beat is dropped in
he scratched the video.. it was fresh..

they showed some funny stuff from peoplke being videoed outside.. one
funny dude said he friend waited on mca in LA and did not give a tip so
mca ran out and rucked around wiht him.. totally cool old school mca having fun...

by the way.. this was funny. i ran into my old friend jason there who
i used to work with and he all casually says 'i flew up with these guys yesterday from la'. i guess he was on the plane with the beasties and some
of th ecrew and took some cell phone shittty pics.. he said they were super
and shit.. lucky bitch.. me and him used work at a place that did some work with money mark.. my seix degrees of the beastie boy story.

back to the show.

during check it out i ran upstirs to get near the open spot on the mezanine and sure enough this is where the boys did interglatic.. it was hetic and i was right there.. intense.. however this vip instead of being cool punched me because i was in his way and tried to start shit with some punk young kid who really was not doing much bad.. i asked the guard what was up and he told me it was the predisident of the bill grahm civic center.. go figure..

but if you can get to it at the show go to the mezanine platform. it sick.

encore was gratitude/sabotage but i was spent after nearly dying during
intergalatic.

overall the show was hot..

the best is ill be there again in likess the 24 hours..

peace out

bballarl
09-17-2004, 01:33 AM
GREAT show. Talib Kweli tore shit up, and the dog show was pretty cool as well. Here's the setlist as I wrote it down (I'm not so sure on numbers 10 and 11, so someone else will have to verify it)

1. MMM Intro
2. Sure Shot
3. Eggman
4. We Got The
5. Hello Brooklyn
6. Triple Trouble
7. Shake Your Rump
8. MMM interlude
9. Sabrosa
10. Ricky's Theme?
11. Groove Holmes?
12. Lighten Up
13. Open Letter to NYC
14. Right Right Now Now
15. Posse In Effect
16. Super Disco Breakin'
17. All Lifestyles
18. Paul Revere
19. Body Movin'
20. Brass Monkey
21. 3 MCs and 1 DJ
22. So Whatcha Want
23. Ch-Check It Out

Encore (on balcony with crowd):

24. Intergalactic

Back on stage

25. Gratitude
26. Sabotage

I'll get into more detail tomorrow...I have school in the morning so I dont have time to type tonight. Awesome show. Wow.

CoconutLotion
09-17-2004, 03:04 AM
I concur on that setlist, with: 10. Ricky's Theme, and 11. In 3's.

yah, the Thursday SF show was fun :) the Boys got their energy going as the show went on.... I'd have to say MCA was the most crowd-friendly one, as he liked to look into the audience and he spent time sitting on the edges of the stage (both left and right sides) slapping hands with people in front...

Mike D did shout-outs to East Bay, SJ, Marin (Mix Master Mike chimed in for Daly City) and also said happy Rosh Hashanah. Near the end, all the Boys urged to not vote for Bush, surprise surprise.

And was that a New York baseball jersey thrown on stage that Mike D acknowledged??

To all going to Friday's show, enjoy.

rideiota
09-17-2004, 03:06 AM
best show ever. hello brooklyn sealed the deal. first beastie show ever and I'm going tomorrow as well. i need 2 tickets though. hit me up if u know where i can get some. rideiota@mchsi.com -jeff-

pescado
09-17-2004, 04:21 AM
hey kids, pescado here.

Last night's show was TIGHT. When they started playing HELLO BROOKLYN, I lost it and kept high fiving my friend. I've never heard that song live (seen the Beasties live three times now), and it was definately well appreciated.

Instead of going through the setlist (perhaps I will do that later, I'm currently recovering from several shots of alcohol), I'm going to say my co-worker and I were in the GA, around the upper left corner of the stage. People were really nice to us in this area, with the exception of 2-3 huge dudes who bumrushed us to get up front right quick, and some girl who tried to slam her way to the front.

All three of the Beasties were looking in prime, tip top shape last night. I kept thinking they'd start slowing down, but they didn't. Mike D wasn't wearing his funny shades and his eyes didn't even look like Skeletor, he looked really good last night. MCA's getting a gray fro going, Ad Rock has shaved his head completely a la Ill Communications era. And yes, Ad Rock was looking like some dude Snow White.

I heard Mike D go off about the show being "one big muthafuckin pagent!" a few times, and I did see some people dressed up in blue and orange jumpsuits. Me? I was there, wearing a Kool-Aid hat and an N Judah shirt.

These guys REALLY haven't slowed down at all for their age. I was VERY impressed. To anyone who hasn't seen them live since Ill Communications or Hello Nasty-era tours: expect the same amount of crazy, spazed out, funked out, happy-go-lucky beastie energy onstage. They haven't slowed down one bit.

Ok, more details later. I need to sleep some more.

Word^

pescy

paulb
09-17-2004, 09:45 AM
you guys are lucky as shit!!! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BROOKLYN!!! wow.. id love to hear that out of Adrocks mouth.

BEASTIEGRRL
09-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Can anyone tell me what the guys wore?
thanks

mcamuto
09-17-2004, 10:06 AM
MMM entered with a yello tee saying beastie boys and a baseball cap.

then the three busted on stage with coordinate workou/jump suits like they have
at other shows. I think they were green and yellow but not positive with the light and
what now.

then for the instrumentals they had old school fly suits on.

then after instrumentals they all had on the same yellow shirt the MMM had on. I think
for the last encore (gratitude/sabotage) money mark and alfredo had the yello beastie boy
shits on as well. but i might be wrong.

mcamuto
09-17-2004, 10:09 AM
hey kids, pescado here.

Last night's show was TIGHT. When they started playing HELLO BROOKLYN, I lost it and kept high fiving my friend. I've never heard that song live (seen the Beasties live three times now), and it was definately well appreciated.

Instead of going through the setlist (perhaps I will do that later, I'm currently recovering from several shots of alcohol), I'm going to say my co-worker and I were in the GA, around the upper left corner of the stage. People were really nice to us in this area, with the exception of 2-3 huge dudes who bumrushed us to get up front right quick, and some girl who tried to slam her way to the front.

All three of the Beasties were looking in prime, tip top shape last night. I kept thinking they'd start slowing down, but they didn't. Mike D wasn't wearing his funny shades and his eyes didn't even look like Skeletor, he looked really good last night. MCA's getting a gray fro going, Ad Rock has shaved his head completely a la Ill Communications era. And yes, Ad Rock was looking like some dude Snow White.

I heard Mike D go off about the show being "one big muthafuckin pagent!" a few times, and I did see some people dressed up in blue and orange jumpsuits. Me? I was there, wearing a Kool-Aid hat and an N Judah shirt.

These guys REALLY haven't slowed down at all for their age. I was VERY impressed. To anyone who hasn't seen them live since Ill Communications or Hello Nasty-era tours: expect the same amount of crazy, spazed out, funked out, happy-go-lucky beastie energy onstage. They haven't slowed down one bit.

Ok, more details later. I need to sleep some more.

Word^

pescy

Agreed 100%. The energy did not relax at all. Shit in 94/95 at some shows MCA seemed like
he was going to go to be like 10 minutes into it. This was high energy spot on. The crowd was
good and playing in a mid sized (7 or 8 grand) venue is better then a big arena probably
as well.

MCA was really into it though and that made me happy because i always thought he
was the one that could undo the boys if he did not feel it anymore.

After seeing them I have a feeling this *wont* be their last go at it. At coachella last year
I thought they might be over the road but last night and the BFD show proved that totally
wrong.

Hope for a few different songs tonight..

m

spacemonkey
09-17-2004, 10:10 AM
why the fuck do you gotta come in here with ten some tender posts and just kill this place like I'd be happier knowing the Beasties never played a live show again cuz I wasn't there it's like rubbing it in. Like if these words were floating I suppose you'd grab ahold of them cuddle with them supposing you held the same values to my words like those of Yauch or Horovitz or even browless Diamond.

Scotty-C
09-17-2004, 10:11 AM
CAaaaaaan't waitttttt! I'm going tonight! Hope the second show is far better since they know what the SF crowd responds to now.
P.S. If anyone see's me say what's up...I'll be in a blue Bathing Ape T-shirt and jeans. I'm a really skinny dood. Later, Scott

pescado
09-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Hey, anybody got a ticket to spare? I had such a good time last night, I've decided I want to try to join my fellow beastie fanatics and show up for tonight's show. I'm willing to buy at face value. Sorry to keep spamming like this.

Ugh, had too much booze last night. Tonight will be a lighter, if I can work it out.

Oh BTW, the guy on the video screen, claiming MCA didn't tip him - my friend saw him on BART! LOL

pescy

bornin1970
09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
hey what time did BB hit the stage last night???

mcamuto
09-17-2004, 10:39 AM
hey what time did BB hit the stage last night???

right around 9:30 i believe. the show ended right at 11.. typical 90 minute or so
show

aeci
09-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Reading about last night's show has me PUMPED for tonight! First time in about 6 years seeing the boys! I have a couple of logistics questions.

1. Is it ALL GA? Or just the floor?
2. If you can't get there early (like probably not til during Talib's set) can you still get on the floor, or are you stuck upstairs?
3. Is the whole floor banging, or just the front? I want to be grooving and dancing and getting down...and it sucks to be stuck way back on the floor craning your neck and being stuck behind a bunch of tall dudes barely bobbing their heads.
4. Last, but not least....how much are they robbing us for beer, and how were the lines?

The countdown's ON!

cookiepuss
09-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Reading about last night's show has me PUMPED for tonight! First time in about 6 years seeing the boys! I have a couple of logistics questions.

1. Is it ALL GA? Or just the floor?
2. If you can't get there early (like probably not til during Talib's set) can you still get on the floor, or are you stuck upstairs?
3. Is the whole floor banging, or just the front? I want to be grooving and dancing and getting down...and it sucks to be stuck way back on the floor craning your neck and being stuck behind a bunch of tall dudes barely bobbing their heads.
4. Last, but not least....how much are they robbing us for beer, and how were the lines?

The countdown's ON!
1. al Ga you have choice of blacony or floor
2. last night was sold out and the floor didn't fillup until beasties took the stage. you've got a good chance even if you don't get there early
3. you can't really dance in the front..we just got shoved around alot.so I'd go for the middle unless you like to mosh.
4. two beers cost me 10$ exactly

DelMateo
09-17-2004, 11:51 AM
i'm so glad i took today off from work. my buddy got a scalper ticket for $20 on Van Ness, that was inspirational so I think I'll try to see if I can get a $20 ticket for tonights show. booze, they sold hard alcohol, that was a surprise, ugh... I made it to the after party at DNA, good DJs, but i was too tired to stick around to see if the beasties showed up, a friend of a friend who manages the dna said that mmm requested they have 3 mics on standby, but don't know what happened with that, anyone else make it there?

kiltlover
09-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Sorry for the all caps but LAST NIGHT'S SHOW WAS FECKING A-MAZING! I've been seeing the boys since I had to buy an underage drink ticket at The Stone in SF on the LTI tour back in like 1987 and it was in the top 3 shows of all time!:)
I dressed to impress as best I could and paid the price by sweating so much from dancing my arse off... I'm so stoked to say I get to do it all over again tonight! Mad love to the boys for blessing us with two nights of beauty and funk and grooves and pageantry!!! When that float came out I actually got tears in my eyes, it was so incredibly well done. It was wonderful to see Mark and Alfredo again after so long. When Mark folded up Adam's hankerchief for him I almost fell over it was so sweet and considerate. All I have to say is if Adam needs someone to wipe his sweat for him, I've got the time and the energy!:) I just don't care if I sound like a 12 year old girl... I'm still reeling with the post-show glow to be concerned:)

Bring it on again tonight! I got All Lifestyles last night... I just know that if they play Crawl Space, I think I'll just pass out! Best song on the album...

Cheers~ Kiltlover
Oakland representin'

pescado
09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
Ok guys, second call for Beasties...

I just scored two GA tickets off craigslist. WHO'S GOING TO TONIGHT'S SHOW? I'm trying to find a friend who wants to go, or get a girl to go with me. If not, fuckit, I'll sell the damn thing.

This time, I won't drink as much. My mistake last night was having a little bit too much of a pre-party, kinda showed up late (7:45). Also, due to getting too tipsy, I had kind ofa serious headache about halfway into the Beasties set. And I didn't find anyone from the MB, doh!

Anyway, I'm going to show up in line EARLY today, it's on like fucking Donkey Kong.

:)

pescy

jbeastie911
09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
It was an emotional one for me! i was in tears when they came out with HELLOOOOOOO BROOOOOOKLYN! San Francisco definitely represented! I'm still feeling vaklempt- i may have to search Hi and Lo for tickets tonite!

if ya'll checking the show tonite have a blast! those guys are still kickin!

......and a quick shout out to DALY CITY! recognize!!!!!! :D

funkified
09-17-2004, 12:40 PM
last night's show was OFF THE HOOK!!!!! (y)

i agree with being closer to the stage, it's way too crowded up there, if you really want to get down and shake it then i would recommend being more towards the back...the sound is insane wherever you stand and we were raging it with lots of room to spare.

SICK SICK SICK SICK

brooklyndust
09-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Then adrock was like 'i gotta start this one off..' and

HELLLLLLLOOOOOO BROOOOOOKLYN..

i lost it.. first time hearing that in 10 shows.. rad..

holy shit this is the song i requested in this thread here http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=31655

maybee they read it, or maybee it was considence (and maybee i don't know how to spell) who cares

they played HELLO BROOKLYN and if they play it at the detroit show i will lose my mind

Snackie
09-17-2004, 02:35 PM
yay! sounds like we're in for a great show tonight. Let's hope they've got energy left for our show!

Can anyone tell me what time the BBoys went on?? The Bill Graham tends to start their shows pretty early, but I get out of work late today and don't want to miss a thing!!

Thanks!! (y)

pescado
09-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Doors opened at Bill Graham at like 7:30pm... I missed the dog show, so I don't know what time that started.

Talib Kweli took to the stage about 8:00pm or so. His set went on until 9:00pm.

The Beasties came on around 9:20pm I think. After that point, I stopped paying attention to time and got kind of wasted / intertwined in MMM beats and Beastie Boyisms.

:)

Hope it's helpful, I'll be sporting my Kool-Aid hat again this time it looks like. Hope I'll run into some MB people this time around, that'd be cool.

pescy

sinclair
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Wow. I must jump in on this. I approached last night's SF concert assuming that the Bboys would perform heavily from the new album. Boy was I proved wrong. Insane set! I've seen em' a few times, this was one of the top 5 concerts (of any band) i've ever seen in my life.
Recommend: get as close to the front as possible. Don't worry about neck strain or smelly short haired women rubbing up against your backside (well, that is what happened to me, at least).
I was so lucky to be able to see into MCA, Adrock, and Mike D's eyes and witness their expressions.
And when they put on the feather 70's tuxedos and rotated out on that beautifully lit stage with white tea lights and red bulbs, i wanted to cry. It was so beautiful. We are so lucky to have witnessed this beastie magic.
WE ARE SO LUCKY.
Mad props on the lighting. No frilly colored trippy light shows. Just beautiful, warm lights that accompanied the beasties in a fuzzy outdoor reception type of way.
and the encore was kind of like a high school prom or something. the lights were up in the crowd, so you could see your neighbor, engage in some friendly moshing, and never lose sight of the greatness of the beastie boys and their Dj.

roberta_y
09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I just posted a media review of the first SF show in the Press forum (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=466432#post466432). Will someone who was at the show please explain the following bit from the review?

[They] talked about wearing underwear...

LOL

-Miramanee

I just read that review from the SJMercury and I don't think the reviewer is truly familiar w/the BBoys career!

She writes, "In the middle of their act, they came out in powder blue '70s tuxedos, and did a funky instrumental bit that lasted too long to be funny."

Hello ms. journalist, the beastie's musical prowess and instrumental album is what bolstered their credability as true musicians! Do you think she even knew that? What was the quote all about??? :confused:

As for the part of the article [They] talked about wearing underwear...
at one point in the show about 3/4 of the way through when they were standing around talking, someone from just off of stage left through some women's underwear on stage. Ad Rock said, "someone lost their underwear" and Mike D replied, "I've got my underwear on". So that must've been what she was referring to.

Mediocre journalism aside, the show TRULY ROCKED. It was incredible and quite possibly the best live show I've ever seen. I wish I was going again tonight. Everyone there tonight, have a great time and let us know what happened!!!

Snackie
09-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Gracias Pescado!
I'm a fool, I just realized someone else had asked the same question: DOH!

Thanks for the response!!
ready to shake my rump :p

jennyb
09-17-2004, 05:32 PM
:eek: Wow, you nerds got to hear Helllllloooooo Brooklyn! Reading these posts had me relivin' the shows I just saw, thanks guys, keep 'em comin! Good to know I'm not the only one whose eyes welled up when the instruments came out! Everyone dress up, dance and have a freaking blast tonight!!!!

Mr. Chewbacca
09-17-2004, 05:50 PM
:D Great show......very cool to be back @ Bill Graham where I saw 'em in '92 for my first REAL concert experience. These guys made me feel 16 again, unreal. I lost my shit when Hello Brooklyn came on.........I'm still kinda at a loss for words, I think I'm heading back to the city to score a ticket for tonight. (y)

pass_the_mic
09-17-2004, 07:44 PM
I have never heard hello broklyn :confused: . I have all thier albums + the anthology. Where can I hear it from?

bballarl
09-18-2004, 12:46 AM
B-Boy Bouillabaisse (off Paul's Boutique)

balohna
09-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah it's part of B-Boy Bouillabaisse, heavy bass and it starts with "HEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO BROOOOOOOOOKKKKKLLLLLLYYYYYYYYN!" then "New York, New York, it's a hell of a town"

sea_dragon
09-18-2004, 12:46 PM
a friend of a friend who manages the dna said that mmm requested they have 3 mics on standby

Thanks for that tidbit, now I'm glad I bought a ticket to the after show here! Can't even imagine seeing them in that tiny club (I'm guessing 500 capacity, if that).

chcheckitout
09-19-2004, 06:34 PM
does anyone know what adrock was talking about- the whole after party at fishermans warf, on a boat? hmm i wonder if they really did do that

Clarence89
09-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Dam, I can't wait to see them in Ny at the garden , im soo hyped there playin instruments.

Kilgore_Trout
09-22-2004, 11:47 PM
And was that a New York baseball jersey thrown on stage that Mike D acknowledged??.

It was a jersey that said "Beastie" on the front and "Boroughs 5" on the back. He mouthed the words, "I don't want it". I was standing right next to the guy who threw it and I said, "He doesn't want it!" and the guy goes, "Of course he wants it!". It was really well done, though... I have to admit. I want one.

roni
11-30-2004, 04:13 PM
I just posted a media review of the first SF show in the Press forum (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=466432#post466432). Will someone who was at the show please explain the following bit from the review?

[They] talked about wearing underwear...

LOL

-Miramanee
wow- i know this is hella old - but i was just lookin around old threads to try and remember what happened at the concerts i went to since it's all starting to become a big blur now - but anyway, this part i remember clear as day because i was right infront of the girl who threw that very piece of underwear. it was a bra actually.

she threw it during their instrumental set and i just remember getting knocked in the back of my head and then seeing this bra flying in the air onto the stage. it landed right infront of yauch and i'm pretty sure everyone else saw it. it was maybe a few inches shy of reaching the platform. i think those stage guys picked it up after the lights went out for them to exit. but anyway, i immediately looked back to see who hit me in the head or really who threw the bra and the girl behind me is telling me to "shhh" because she didn't want the security guy to throw her out. i remember wondering how the hell she took her bra off while everyone was all squished together, and then thinking "eww" cuz everyone was drenched in sweat and well, yeah... i just wish i had the guts to throw shit on stage.

anyway, it was kinda funny cuz a little later they come out and yauch points me out in the crowd! i couldn't figure out why, but of course i didn't care! the fact that he even saw me was cool, but me and my friend were jokin' around saying that maybe he thought that i was the one that threw the bra on stage and just wanted to thank me. :D but that thing was huge! anyway- i think he just pointed at me cuz i was goin nuts and was singing all the lyrics and stuff.

btw, sorry for bringing this up again, i know it sounds so random now! :p i just had to reply since i actually remembered something!