PDA

View Full Version : 2nd SF show - 9/17

pescado
09-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I was at the show, so here goes some sort of review. This show, like last night's, was definately off the hook! Shazam! was finally played for the first time. It sounded ok, but Mike D goofed up on some of his lines.

Other memorable moments: The boys gave a shout out to minton and tpk, who were to the left of the stage. I saw tpk's face (a little pale, long blonde hair right?), but couldn't see minton's. They then dedicated their next song to both of them, which was High Plains Drifter. :)

Money Mark's son came out onstage, as it was his birthday. The crowd all sang him Happy Birthday, and Ad Rock goofed off with him for a bit.

Skills to Pay the Bills was played tonight as well!

Great show though, had a good time, and ran into some of ya'll from the message board (I was sporting a Kool-Aid hat). The hat got the attention of one of the security guards as well. He pulled me aside to say that the promoter wanted to buy the hat off me. He asked me how much I wanted.

"I don't want the money, I want one of the Beasties to wear it onstage, or I want a backstage pass". The security guard said he'd see what he could do, and get back to me. He came back awhile later to say there was no after party, and they were getting straight on their bus (a likely story). I tried to insist a couple more times, but got nowhere. The security guy said the best he could get me was a drumstick, in exchange for my hat. I told him no way!

There's more stuff to tell, but I'm tired and you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

word^

pescy

balohna
09-18-2004, 02:02 AM
You should have taken the drumstick and asked for him to get Mike to sign it.

pescado
09-18-2004, 02:10 AM
You should have taken the drumstick and asked for him to get Mike to sign it.

I tried to get the security guard to get me an autograph, or even take my hat to have it signed by one of the Beasties. All he could offer was a raw, non-autographed drumstick. Just that, for my hat? I decided it wasn't worth it.

pescy

PS - Big guys who make their way to the front of a GA crowd aren't always bad guys.

balohna
09-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Well what good is a drum stick if the drummer doesn't sign it? It's too bad it seems like AWOL isn't coming on tour, I want to see some hardcore and Mike can't drum and sing. Maybe he's with them as a friend and will start performing if they get requests.

jojo4eva21
09-18-2004, 11:36 AM
dude, if you were close enough to the stage, you should have thrown your hat. that's what i didi during the first show and Adrock and MCA wore it for a while :)

pescado
09-18-2004, 11:39 AM
dude, if you were close enough to the stage, you should have thrown your hat. that's what i didi during the first show and Adrock and MCA wore it for a while :)

I was going to, until I saw other people throwing up hats at this show. And none of the Beasties wore them.

However, one girl near me had a white feather boa on. Mike D took it and wrapped it around his neck, and I kept yelling "MIKE YOU LOOKING FUCKING HOT!!!" and people around me were laughing. haha.

pescy

sea_dragon
09-18-2004, 12:54 PM
PS - Big guys who make their way to the front of a GA crowd aren't always bad guys.

As long as they don't shove their way to the front - and have some consideration for us shorties (I can't tell you how many times some 6'6" guy has come and stood right in front of me!)

mcamuto
09-18-2004, 12:59 PM

Speaking of hats and other crowd thrown stuff. Did anybody notice
that MCA was wearing the white sun glasses that somebody
had thrown on stage the night before.. Funny stuff. Also when
they came out mike d and mca had on the other persons hat.. funny
shit..

The 2nd show was dope. I think the 1st was a lil better (shazam and the
turntable during sureshot were a bummer..) but the set was hot. Seeing
'the move' and high plains..' and skills to pay the bills were nice treats..

I was in the 2nd row on the balcony where they did the encore.. it
was so worth being in a lame spot for most of the show though for that one 3 minutes.. SICK

paulb
09-18-2004, 01:02 PM
The Move?!
High Plains
Shazam
SKills to pay the bills

lucky!

mcamuto
09-18-2004, 01:19 PM
The Move?!
High Plains
Shazam
SKills to pay the bills

lucky!

yeah.. they also busted out root down, time to get ill and somethings
got to give.. all three were not played the first night. I was worried
that they were going to have really similiar set lists all tour
from the first few shows and warm up shows but luckily they are
switching it up..

pescado
09-18-2004, 01:20 PM
shit..

Yeah, I did notice that. Did you notice Ad Rock wasn't wearing his bracelet during the show as well? Kinda funny to see MCA wearing Mike D's hat though.. heheh

The 2nd show was dope. I think the 1st was a lil better (shazam and the
turntable during sureshot were a bummer..) but the set was hot. Seeing
'the move' and high plains..' and skills to pay the bills were nice treats..

I agree, Shazam could have been a lot better. They need to work on that. The foul-ups during this show were kind of funny though, they gave it character. Seemed to me like there were more foul-ups in Friday's show, but the crowd was easier to deal with. Friday felt like more 21 and under people in the crowd, while Thursday seemed to be more 21+ types who were drunk and bumrushing into the crowd. At least, that's my impression of GA between both nights, you tell me..

pescy

pescy

rideiota
09-18-2004, 01:47 PM
:for people who went to both shows:

I thought the sound on the second show was really weak. It seemed like alot of the songs were acapella. The music was so quiet. I was right in front though but still the first show had very nice levels from the same spot. Other than that I made a nice little contact with the boys as they were leaving in their van. I got to tell them what they mean to me which was cool. Nice guys but understandibly just wanted to leave and go back to their hotel. I also beileve they should play somethings got to give at every show. Breaks up the jam session a little bit with some singing. Also I was the kid wearing the black bandana around my neck. Word. Jeff

balohna
09-18-2004, 01:51 PM
How late did you have to stay to catch a glimpse?

tpk
09-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Other memorable moments: The boys gave a shout out to minton and tpk, who were to the left of the stage. I saw tpk's face (a little pale, long blonde hair right?), but couldn't see minton's. They then dedicated their next song to both of them, which was High Plains Drifter. :)

yeah that was me. that shit was pretty noice. didn't expect that. :o

paulb
09-18-2004, 02:07 PM
yeah that was me. that shit was pretty noice. didn't expect that. :o
sweet stuff mate!! lucky!!! u going to the Seattle show!? or u going home too?

tpk
09-18-2004, 02:12 PM
sweet stuff mate!! lucky!!! u going to the Seattle show!? or u going home too?yeah i'm not going to seattle unfortunately. gonna stay and chill in cali for a few days then i head to the eastcoast for a few days then i go back.

minton
09-18-2004, 02:15 PM

His hair is crazy long. Not just long. It's amazing. :)

Great show too, I agree. Very tight performance.

wavin_goodbye
09-18-2004, 02:15 PM
tpk/minton
that is so cool!!! you must mean a lot to the boys :)

hawaii50
09-18-2004, 02:25 PM

I thought the sound on the second show was really weak. It seemed like alot of the songs were acapella. The music was so quiet. I was right in front though but still the first show had very nice levels from the same spot. Other than that I made a nice little contact with the boys as they were leaving in their van. I got to tell them what they mean to me which was cool. Nice guys but understandibly just wanted to leave and go back to their hotel. I also beileve they should play somethings got to give at every show. Breaks up the jam session a little bit with some singing. Also I was the kid wearing the black bandana around my neck. Word. Jeff

someone already asked this..buuut... yeah how long did you have to wait for them? i was out there for a while also but then i had to leave.

bballarl
09-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Setlist anyone?

Mustangjen808
09-18-2004, 02:44 PM
ok so minton and tpk- how come the bboys dont come around here more often??

minton
09-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Setlist anyone?

It's in the Tour Blog! Check that out here (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=26). There are some cool photos too, which we just added.

minton
09-18-2004, 02:53 PM
ok so minton and tpk- how come the bboys dont come around here more often??

They do check out the forums a lot. A lot. They don't post all that often though, I guess like errr'one here should do, they only post when they have something to say. :)

wavin_goodbye
09-18-2004, 03:08 PM
lol@minton

pescado
09-18-2004, 03:34 PM

Other than that I made a nice little contact with the boys as they were leaving in their van. I got to tell them what they mean to me which was cool. Nice guys but understandibly just wanted to leave and go back to their hotel.

Ok, I'm going to ask... how long did you stay? I was waiting with some people on the side of the Civic Auditorium where the three giant tour buses were. We waited from about 11pm-12am, no sign of the Beasties. Then I heard Mixmaster Mike and Money Mark had just left from the south? side of the building. I walked by and I saw 'Fredo Oritz (percussion during the instrumentals) sitting with his girl, so I said hi. But I was so tired and feeling stupid, I called him Bobo by mistake. Doh!

Alfredo said he went to school with Bobo, and then I asked if he toured in '98 with the Beasties for Hello Nasty, as I could swear he was there.

(it was kind of a dumb convo on my half awake, exhausted as hell behalf)

Anyway, I told Alfredo I was sorry for calling him Bobo, and asked if any of the guys were still around. He said they left. I told him I really liked the show and to keep up the good work, and headed out.

pescy

rideiota
09-18-2004, 03:40 PM
it was like 12:15 and they were all in a white van leaving for their hotel. the door was open so i told them what I had to say and they said thanks and then left.

pescado
09-18-2004, 03:49 PM
it was like 12:15 and they were all in a white van leaving for their hotel. the door was open so i told them what I had to say and they said thanks and then left.

AWWWW MAAAN! If I only stayed an additional 15 minutes. GAAAAH!

Oh well, I was hoping one of them would autograph my hat or shake my hand. I doubt I would have received either at that point. I can kind of understand though, you put on a big show, deal with your tour manager and everybody else, all you wanna do is get to sleep. Well, unless you're like 20 and wanna party all night, but I think the Beasties are over that stage of their lives. I know I am.

What pissed me off is when the security outside kept telling us the Beasties had already left, and then suddenly we see this guy go in with four groupie chicks. And as a fan, you're thinking "You know, I bet those girls aren't even real fans, man that should be me up in there". But in showbiz, it's all about who you know and being in the right place at the right time... :(

I was hanging out with this dude named Kevin who brought his daughter out to the show. We waited for like an hour to get an autograph or something.

Well, good to hear someone was successful in seeing the guys leave. You lucked out man. Good job!

pescy

rideiota
09-18-2004, 05:39 PM
thanks, yea it was amazing just seeing my favorite band up and close.

dmourati
09-18-2004, 07:18 PM
MMM put on a a serious show. I can't believe noone has mentioned Mike literally bending the record as he scratched it. That was the first time I've ever seen him do that.

I really dug the interlude and the instrumental sections. That was a nice cool down.

Opening up with Triple Trouble is going to be a theme of this tour. They rocked it.

Skillz to Pay the Bills was dope. Butnacked beats with the but naked skillz.

Mustangjen808
09-18-2004, 07:41 PM
They do check out the forums a lot. A lot. They don't post all that often though, I guess like errr'one here should do, they only post when they have something to say. :)

thats awesome.

cookiepuss
09-18-2004, 08:39 PM
MMM put on a a serious show. I can't believe noone has mentioned Mike literally bending the record as he scratched it. That was the first time I've ever seen him do that.

I really dug the interlude and the instrumental sections. That was a nice cool down.

Opening up with Triple Trouble is going to be a theme of this tour. They rocked it.

Skillz to Pay the Bills was dope. Butnacked beats with the but naked skillz.

I made mention of MMM vinyl bending....but it was in a different thread. I went to the thursday show and he did it there also. Like you I had never seen it before and was blown away. you are not alone on that one!

wish I could have seen the second show also..sounds like it was just as fun.

mcamuto
09-18-2004, 08:50 PM
I made mention of MMM vinyl bending....but it was in a different thread. I went to the thursday show and he did it there also. Like you I had never seen it before and was blown away. you are not alone on that one!

wish I could have seen the second show also..sounds like it was just as fun.

I forget exactly but i am pretty sure its the banana scratch or the banana peel scratch.. MMM has been doing them for over 10 years.. they are sick

pescado
09-18-2004, 10:53 PM
I remember when Mixmaster opened for the Beasties in 1998, he would scratch up "Tom Sawyer" by Rush. Now THAT was pretty tight.

I can definately say that MMM's turntabling skills just keep getting better and better everytime I see him. From Hello Nasty, to TT5B... he just keeps getting better and better.

Did anyone happen to catch the show he did at DNA Lounge on Thursday night last week? I was wondering if the Beasties came out and did a song, was it just him or what? Just curious...

keith
09-19-2004, 02:07 AM
hey i was also at the show . i was the guy who threw mca the black shirt that he put on and wore for a couple of songs . trying to track down any photos of him wearing it ? any help ?

violentsoba
09-19-2004, 07:53 PM
This was my first real Beasties show. I was at BFD, but this was eleven times better. I was right up front against the barricade, and surprisingly it wasn't that rough. I was a little worried because of what I read here about Thursday's show, and some people were saying that the crushing during Sabotage was the worst ever. The only time it got really uncomfortable was during the first instrumental set, the mellowest part of the show. I guess like someone said, the crowd was younger and smaller.

Shout out to Mike from Chicago, who I met on BART after the show. Dude paid $80 to a scalper, but was really happy about it.

sfchris
09-19-2004, 08:17 PM
I've been to a lot of concerts and I don't think I have ever seen a more dangerous stage dive than that one kid did... he didn't even give the crowd any warning he sort of just sorta squirted off like a jackrabbit at high speed like he was going off the high dive... I expected concussions out of that one...

born2ride
09-19-2004, 08:49 PM
yeah the show was fuckin awesome.. I might just have to hit up the east coast to catch another. I bet the NYC show is gonna be off the hook!!

born2ride
09-19-2004, 09:07 PM
any pics of MMM doin that banana peel thing on the vynal?

ASHLEY
09-19-2004, 09:18 PM
:) WOW :)

What a fantastic show, I had a better time at the SF than I did at the show in Los Angeles. I just got home from an exhausting weekend, I sooooo love SF. The crowd at the SF show was actually a younger crowd then the show in LA, but they were both very alive audiences.

Thank you Beasties ......you made my trip up north well worth it. (y)

born2ride
09-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Hell yeah!!

where can i get my "Live from SF" DVD???

hawaii50
09-19-2004, 11:02 PM
I've been to a lot of concerts and I don't think I have ever seen a more dangerous stage dive than that one kid did... he didn't even give the crowd any warning he sort of just sorta squirted off like a jackrabbit at high speed like he was going off the high dive... I expected concussions out of that one...

that guy landed on my head. i tried to duck or move but i was packed so tight that i COULD NOT move, and he landed right on my face. it really, really hurt my nose and skinned my lip a little bit. i teared up and thought my nose was broken but it ended up being ok.....plus the guy behind me punched him in the nose :D

tpk
09-19-2004, 11:12 PM
that guy landed on my head. i tried to duck or move but i was packed so tight that i COULD NOT move, and he landed right on my face. it really, really hurt my nose and skinned my lip a little bit. i teared up and thought my nose was broken but it ended up being ok.....plus the guy behind me punched him in the nose :Dyeah good to hear that someone actually punched that fucker.

and word man. steve mcgarrett.

pescado
09-19-2004, 11:26 PM
yeah good to hear that someone actually punched that fucker.

and word man. steve mcgarrett.

I saw a couple girls crowd surfing about 2/3rds through the show. Security got em. But if some kid dived on me without warning, I may have punched him. But only because I'm a nice guy :)

On another note, a really big dude was leaning up behind me at Friday's show. I was on the fence, I thought dude was purposely trying to be an ass (the 'big guy bumrushing others' stereotype kind of knicked me from the previous night). I remember yelling at the guy, but then he said he was sorry and didn't mean to squash anyone. Funny how things work out at Beastie Boys shows, heh...

tpk! I saw your face! you looked real pale, like some dude snow white!

:p

pescy

hawaii50
09-19-2004, 11:30 PM
On another note, a really big dude was leaning up behind me at Friday's show. I was on the fence, I thought dude was purposely trying to be an ass (the 'big guy bumrushing others' stereotype kind of knicked me from the previous night). I remember yelling at the guy, but then he said he was sorry and didn't mean to squash anyone. Funny how things work out at Beastie Boys shows, heh...

pescy

you must've been right by me. that guy was killing me and then he apologized and i decided to be bitchy and told him to fuck off :( and then i felt bad... but im glad they made him move.

what was up with security at this thing? sometimes i think the event staff is all recovering junkies or something...

pescado
09-19-2004, 11:36 PM
you must've been right by me. that guy was killing me and then he apologized and i decided to be bitchy and told him to fuck off :( and then i felt bad... but im glad they made him move.

what was up with security at this thing? sometimes i think the event staff is all recovering junkies or something...

I bet I saw you... I'm assuming you're female, so were you with your boyfriend? There were a couple of those. If not, you might have been either this petite brown-haired girl with a nose ring, or a petite blonde with glasses? Just taking a guess here. Now you got me curious..

pescy

violentsoba
09-20-2004, 12:01 AM

Was this big guy wearing a white shirt and a black baseball cap backwards? I could've sworn I heard this conversation at some point during the show.

I didn't mind the pushing that much, as long as no one tried to take my spot...which has happened at other shows

DelMateo
09-20-2004, 08:11 AM
here's how I made it into the 2nd show. Scalpers were going for $90 a ticket, unlike Thursday when I heard they were going as low as $15. I walk up to a glass door, flash $60, the guard opened the door and let my friend and I in, it was great. Best moment, I was in the balcony on the right hand side (facing the stage) about 5ft from where the Beasties did the InterGalactic encore, it was great, suddenly the balcony transformed into the a scene similar to the front of the stage, chaotic. I'm really glad I got to go both days being that I only live 4 blocks from the BG civic.

sasquatchsf
09-21-2004, 06:03 PM
I lag, but I finally finished this review of the 9/17 show at the Bill Graham Civic in SF. Its near the top of this page:

http://www.ktvu.com/entertainment/index.html

sea_dragon
09-21-2004, 06:26 PM

Ya know, I had a bitchy moment at a concert where I lashed out at someone who blocked my view (stood up on the railing in front of me), and as hard as it was, apologizing to her made me feel so much better. And when I acted decent toward her and just told her I couldn't see, she got out of the way! Hopefully I spread some good vibes that day, to counteract all the bad vibes that get going at concerts.

Kilgore_Trout
09-22-2004, 11:20 PM
shit.

Yeah.. Adrock had 'em on at first but said he couldn't see...

Kilgore_Trout
09-22-2004, 11:32 PM
I was right up front against the barricade, and surprisingly it wasn't that rough. I was a little worried because of what I read here about Thursday's show, and some people were saying that the crushing during Sabotage was the worst ever.

Yeah. At Sabotage some big, fat guy was causing trouble, and all the security guys were looking for with with their flashlights, but he disappeared into the crowd. It got pretty rough, at that concert.

Scotty-C
09-23-2004, 09:31 PM
My first show was everything I expected. My wife and I had a blast in the second row center of the balcony. Something no one has mentioned was how good Kalib was. I really enjoyed him and wanted to start dancing but then I would have been one of the ONLY dancers in the balcony. I kind of felt bad for his crowd response, but you know how it is. Plus my wife and I really enjoyed the dog show. It was even better when I found out the dogs are recovered from the pound. Anyway, the only thing I thought could have been better was the sound. You couldn't hear any highs, only bass. Sounded amazing with Kalib's music though, really powerful. I wish I could have heard the harpsichord in Right Right Now Now. I went absolutely nuts when they played Three MC's and One DJ, but the show topper was Intergalactic. (y)